Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 05:52 PM

59 posts, read 45,878 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this thread has been done before, but so many people move here and try to compare Texas to their former state. No mater where you are from, you're a Texan now. It's beautiful in the spring and fall and hot in the summer. The only mountains we have are in Big Bend. We can't change the environment to fit your expectations. No matter why you came here it was a choice that you made. We love our home. Stop picking on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 06:50 PM

119 posts, read 249,163 times
It's human nature. If people want to complain then don't read the post. Besides Texas is just a place to live and work. To the vast majority there's no aura, magic, or personna about it. What, did you expect to be showered in complements by the transplants? they're here to WORK, not because OMG Texas, it's so cool, I'm moving there. Pfff.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:07 PM

59 posts, read 45,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsprettyhot View Post
It's human nature. If people want to complain then don't read the post. Besides Texas is just a place to live and work. To the vast majority there's no aura, magic, or personna about it. What, did you expect to be showered in complements by the transplants? they're here to WORK, not because OMG Texas, it's so cool, I'm moving there. Pfff.
Wow!! Don't you sound like the life of the party. You are exactly the kind of person I'm talking about or you are just trolling. I don't care if they don't like the place, they are here by choice. If they (or you) hate Texas so much go back. If all you do is complain about your new surroundings you will never be happy.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:17 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylettuce View Post
I don't know if this thread has been done before, but so many people move here and try to compare Texas to their former state. No mater where you are from, you're a Texan now. It's beautiful in the spring and fall and hot in the summer. The only mountains we have are in Big Bend. We can't change the environment to fit your expectations. No matter why you came here it was a choice that you made. We love our home. Stop picking on it.

All of these transplants are welcome to go back to California, Michigan, or whatever state they came from if they aren't happy here in Texas. Those of us who love it here, and who wouldn't live anywhere else, are prefectly happy here without you.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:28 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Quote:
I think you missed the point. The op was referring to a very vocal minority who come here and spew nothing but negativity about how Texas is too hot or too flat or has too many bugs or has no magnificent grocery stores like Whole Foods (now that last one was funny, but it really happened). Quite a few come from a certain unnamed state on the West Coast. Houston is a prime target, too. To them, Houston is a dirty infested swamp where the summer temperatures are comparable to the surface of Venus. But yet their original homeland is just one big Disneyland where everyone is sipping lattes and watching humpback whales and billowy sailboats in a harbor that is snugly sandwiched between snowcapped mountains made of white chocolate. I'm serious. We get people like that.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:34 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
And you're probably the reason why natives complain about transplants and think the state has seen an influx of bitter anti social people. The state itself has great history and an impressive record of maintaining several cities and towns that are economically strong but still relatively cheap. That's unheard of for any other state. People are proud of that and consider themselves grateful. Some of you transplants (and it's NOT all transplants) couldn't hack it in whatever crumbling state you came from and took a job in Texas and bitterly complain about the place cus it doesn't resemble the little bubble you left behind.

I'm more of the belief that you're just trolling but if not seriously just leave. Please find another job in another state because you're not contributing to the positive growth the state has been experiencing.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:33 AM

33,326 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

All of these transplants are welcome to go back to California, Michigan, or whatever state they came from if they aren't happy here in Texas. Those of us who love it here, and who wouldn't live anywhere else, are prefectly happy here without you.
This transplant likes Texas just fine, and will never move back to California.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:05 AM

102 posts, read 129,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
This transplant likes Texas just fine, and will never move back to California.
I'm a transplant, raised in Southern California but spent 20 years in Seattle, and I absolutely love it here too. I'm never leaving!

Edited to add that I'm very much a west coast gal, super liberal, atheist, never ever thought I'd move to Texas. I'm so glad I did as it really is a special place.

Last edited by Powered_by_Espresso; 05-01-2016 at 07:19 AM..

Old 05-01-2016, 07:56 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
I think many people don't realize what a live and let live state Texas really is. They think it's this restrictive super conservative state based on the erroneous depiction in the media. When in California you need a permit to sneeze, Texas surprises many in how libertarian it can be.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Texas really does have a refreshing "live and let live" mentality as a whole. I was raised in the Southeast and when I moved to Texas 25 years ago, I immediately noticed a more independent, strong, outgoing and sort of "friendly but blunt" vibe. I LOVE IT. I plan to live the rest of my life in Texas.

No place is perfect, and Texas isn't perfect either but I sure do love this state. And I consider myself a Texan even though I wasn't born and raised here, and that's OK because Texas accepts me as a Texan too. That's another thing I love about this state - the open hearted and generous, accepting attitude of the people in general.

As Lyle Lovett says, "That's right, you're not from Texas, but Texas wants you anyway!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas