Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:45 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

Also, another point no one brings up is the sheer practicality of Texas cities. I miss there being just a practical purpose to city govt where as the local govt here in LA thinks of itself as an activist govt needing to remedy every single grievence and the state has planned itself into oblivion. It's like a homeowners association they're that nit picky. It's a "visionary" state that spares no costs to fulfill its vision of what it wants but loses many in the process. Texas is very practical, and that's probably why the cities aren't that aesthetically pleasing but still offer the practical person the chance to create his own slice of heaven instead.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:47 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
The premise of this thread seems silly and baseless. I've known countless Texans over about four decades, and none have ever expressed pride in the state due to growing population (either at the city level or state level). There are lots of sources of pride, but they are usually more substantial than population growth. But, if you want to think that's the reality, well, there's nothing we can do for you but chuckle.

Regardless, we don't need any preaching ("Texans shouldn't ________") from out-of-staters, including CA, or anyone for that matter. This thread seems destined for the almighty Closed Thread lock.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 05-02-2016 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 02:57 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,990 times
While the initial post seems bitter, the OP made a rough point about is that traveling is great for self-improvement and growth. Every healthy person would agree with that.

"Mind blowing" is an experience familiar to travelers but novelty wears out once you plant yourself in a place. Mind blowing can also be negative.

Having tried to escape my birth place of Orange County, CA, twice now, first to Colorado and currently Montana, I can tell you the grass is greener and browner everywhere depending on your values. Ultimately it comes down to what you can afford and what you value most for yourself or your family, but until you escape and travel and experience new things over time (like weather, seasons, culture, pace), you can't really know what you had or what you are missing out on.

We are considering Texas because it has a strong economy, a healthy middle class, and dignified housing we can afford. What's more, Texas has a unique strong culture and history that I find appealing, not to mention food I like. Every Texan I have met or worked with I have liked and respected, and that says a lot--I can't say that for any other state. I also know from experience that responsible families who move out of state to seek a better life make good neighbors, so even if we end up somewhere with fewer natives, we'll be among a community of friendly folk. Beyond that, we have no illusions. I know it will be hot and buggy and we might encounter some nasty, even dangerous weather.

If I had the time and money to investigate, I could probably find neighborhoods in counties in several states that would meet or beat my requirements, but I don't. Texas seems to be the new California that everyone's rushing to. Hopefully Texans will apply grit and common sense to enact laws and measures to steer their growth and retain their independent spirit.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I Love Buildings is such an obvious troll I don't know why anyone is wasting time responding to his ignorant and stupid comments. The best thing to do with trolls is ignore them.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:12 PM

515 posts, read 558,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I Love Buildings is such an obvious troll I don't know why anyone is wasting time responding to his ignorant and stupid comments. The best thing to do with trolls is ignore them.
Yeah, hes probably some dorky kid whose only friends just moved to Texas. His posts have a childish and distressed tone to them.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:18 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
Your insight experience is nothing unique to the rest of the world. EVERY large metro in in the U.S will continue to populate just like Texas because birthrates are what's driving it up.

Those born and raised in Texas are the ones causing mass congestion and demand for new homes. But do you REALLY think some 16 year old kid who has never traveled outside the state would want to live in Texas all their life? Once you've traveled outside of TX to somewhere mind-blowing in comparason such as Santa Barabara, The Rockie Mountains, Hawaii; your mind will rush to questions why you would even settle for a subpar location on Earth in comparason to others living a thrilling life in other more stunnning environments.

The airplane landing back home to anywhere in Texas must be the most depressing window view and feeling of all your vacation, possible life if you've never traveled. All the cool kids in High school who were fortunate enough to travel around the country at a young age are the ones who sooner realize how much the United States (and the world) has to offer and in grand scale. I wouldn't be surprised if kids these days complain to their parents why they ever left their birth state to work in Texas.
Why are you so bitter and miserable?

Old 05-02-2016, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,412 times
That's pretty funny, that person saying "The airplane landing back home to anywhere in Texas must be the most depressing window view". Hell, I was excited to see all those lakes and the Metroplex from the air last year when I visited for the first time. And after being there a week, I was ready to stay. I'm headed to San Antonio in a few weeks to see even MORE of that great state.

I'm looking forward to the day (hopefully in the near future) when I can say "I live in Texas and damn proud of it". Phooey on the naysayers.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:40 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

This is obviously a bait n troll thread. He also has asked the question in the California forum if San Diego would have been better if it had been built inland?!

Old 05-02-2016, 05:44 PM

387 posts, read 512,141 times
I was refering to just 15 miles more east Inland. It'd still touch the ocean on the edges like LA and Houston.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:04 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
I think San Diego would've have been better if downtown would have been situated on Coronado Island... but that is beside the point.

I am from Texas, I grew up in Bexar County South of the city of San Antonio. I live in San Diego, I came to the West Coast at 22 and never looked back. I don't find any city in Texas to be particularly interesting with exception of the Downtown SA and the Riverwalk as it is very unique for any US city and perhaps DT Austin. The massive Houston, massive Dallas and dusty El Paso are unappealing to me as is Corpus or any Texas beach area.

At 35, what I have learned to appreciate is the beauty of the ranch I grew up on and my parents still live on. That is where I am proud and grateful to be from Texas and still have that connection... what I look forward to when returning to Texas is NOT visiting its cities but rather the peacefulness of sitting under a live oak on our little ranch and reminiscing of when I was a boy.

So I guess I agree with you, the growing cities leave much to be desired but rural Texas does have its splendor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas