Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:59 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times

Advertisements

i do 90 percent of my shopping in Lampasas (only cuz walmart there is VERY VERY quiet). i do the rest at HEB here in Cove (small, relatively quiet). feel very safe in cove. dont find much reason to go to Killeen except for a few things every now and then, and of course the obligatory hail and farewells and military balls etc......
you can get a pass to get on post for the day. be sure to visit the 1st CAV museum and gift shop, take the tour of 1st CAV horse detachment barn and stables (they will give you one any time you show up! real nice there), and you can go to Sportsmans Club for breakfasts, shooting range, golf course. you just cant shop at the PX or Commissary or the various shoppettes or Class Six's without military ID card. you can buy gas on post-pay at pump. usually cheaper than off post, but not always.
welcome!! yer gonna love it here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Petrelli View Post
Thanks for the tips! Do you know any particular reason for the crime spike? That does not sound too reassuring. Do you know if the homes that were broken into had a big dog? What about the times of break-in? Was it during work hours? Did the cars that were broken into have any valuables visible from the windows? That is crazy that a kid was almost kidnapped! I'll be doing all my shopping in Copperas Cove! I guess I better get some guns asap.

Don't you have to be military to get into fort hood? Do they let just anyone in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 13,851 times
Default Good ole' Kenyaleen (Killeen)

Well, let me start by saying my family and lived in Kenyaleen (Killeen) on and off for 24 years or so. We saw and experienced many, many changes to the Killeen area. Some good, some not so good but overall I would say for most part our life there was not bad. There were not any areas or places that me or my family did not visit during our 24 years there, without ever having a negative experience. Overall, I think the law enforcement folks do a super job of protecting the citizens of Killeen. The one thing I truly liked about the area was and is the fact of Fort Hood being a next door neighbor is that the area has ethnic groups from all over the world, in a small city setting. So one is afforded the opportunity to experience other peoples, customs, food and all the things that go with a diverse community right there, without having to leave the area. As for my title "Good ole' Kenyaleen", is due to the fact over the laste 5 to 10 year period, the number of blacks that have moved into the area, courtesy of the Army, one might just think they are in Kenya instead of Texas! Obama should carry Killeen in '08!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:59 AM

the BEST thing about Killeen is OMART on Ft Hood Street. a huge asian grocery store., complete with a bubble or boba drink kiosk (ya know, that tapioca pearl drink from Taiwan)..you can get all different flavors e.g. passion fruit etc...in a milky or slush., and a great cafe with bulgogi and all kinds of meals, furniture, and great produce/meat/seafood, and just about anything you could want that is Korean, Japanese, Hawaiian. I just spent 40 bucks on Mochi Ice Cream this weekend there-couldnt believe it-they had three of four brands, all flavors, kona coffee, mango etc. Mochi Ice Cream is one thing I always stock the icebox up with when i go visit family in Hawaii, and now I dont have to wait until I go to Hawaii to eat it!!!!!!!!!
I love this grocery store. It is truly a treasure.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 14,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
Whats so bad about Killeen any ways for ya'll to say avoid it.
Google "Killeen TX crime stats" and "Killeen TX sex offender map". Per capita, it's one of the highest crime-ridden cities in the nation. Right up there with DC.

Peace ~O~

Old 08-08-2008, 11:40 PM

well, if it is, i would be totally amazed, because i am a country girl and dont like cities-felt very unsafe in Savannah GA and Corpus Christi TX, but have never felt unsafe in Killeen, where i sometimes have to go shopping (Home Depot/Lowes/PetCo etc) and where i enjoy lots of international dining (without having to drive big scary highways into very congested cities). lots of my coworkers/friends live in Killeen and none of them seem to have crime as a major daily concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miracoli View Post
Google "Killeen TX crime stats" and "Killeen TX sex offender map". Per capita, it's one of the highest crime-ridden cities in the nation. Right up there with DC.

Peace ~O~

Old 08-09-2008, 09:53 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miracoli View Post

Peace ~O~
Ok, I live in the DC area 5 miles from the city limits of DC and I grew up in Killeen. Killeen's crime cannot TOUCH DC whatsoever. I don't care what any stats say. Killeen is 100 times more safer than DC.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:29 PM

exactly. it's a no brainer. statistics can be misleading. i moved to a town in South Texas, and did my research, looked at CD stats/demographics etc. was soooooooooo off mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ok, I live in the DC area 5 miles from the city limits of DC and I grew up in Killeen. Killeen's crime cannot TOUCH DC whatsoever. I don't care what any stats say. Killeen is 100 times more safer than DC.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:22 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Killeen is extremely smaller than DC, but the crime is pretty bad in Killeen wether you believe it or not. Waco is probably worse though.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:20 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Killeen is extremely smaller than DC, but the crime is pretty bad in Killeen wether you believe it or not. Waco is probably worse though.
It probably is pretty bad. So is Waco's. But I'd live in the worse areas of Waco and Killeen before I live in parts of Southeast, Northeast, and some parts of Northwest DC. The crime in Killeen and Waco does not TOUCH DC. And it doesn't matter if it is small. Camden, New Jersey, and Gary, Indiana are worse than Washington DC and both are about the same size of Killeen and Waco.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:40 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Killeen's crime is up there but in the 5 yrs I lived there, I used common sense & never had a problem. I saw some creepy things & heard a ton of things. I had more than a few Soldiers in my company arrested for drugs, spousal abuse, DUI, & petty theft. Most showed no remorse nor did they seem to care. Did have a Soldier in my company go to WalMart at the end of the day, buy a gun, & shot & kill his estranged wife & himself b/c she had left him for another Soldier. But that's typical Army stuff these days....

It is bad but it's in a very specific area & group of people. Stay away from that area & that group of people & you will be ok.

Military bases have always drawn some of the shadiest characters around & Fort Hood being the largest base in the country, it stats will get up there. The Army is not choosy & gets some very bad apples. Just avoid the bad apples.

It cannot compare to DC.

DC is a whole other monster based on so many issues Killeen does not have to face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas