Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 01:28 PM

16 posts, read 84,435 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Killeen, TX, and unfortunately circumstances are forcing us to rent a home sight unseen. Two questions:

1. Obviously, crime seems to be a big issue in Killeen, TX. Are there any specific neighborhoods we should look to avoid? We were looking at homes by the airport and neighborhoods by Cedar-Valley Elementary School and Liberty Hill Middle School.

2. Are there any property management companies that you specifically recommend? Google reviews has been helpful, but I'd welcome additional insight.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 08:06 PM

4 posts, read 4,420 times
I've lived in Killeen for 16 years and it seems the crime isn't that bad. I think burglaries are the worst part about killeen. It's your typical military town. The places you're looking to rent in are perfect. I don't know where you will be working, but the airport suburbs are pretty far off from the 'hustle and 'bustle' of restaurants and shopping, or most things in general. It's quiet and nice out there though.
Try to avoid anything across the railroad tracks if you're skittish of crime. It's not super bad if you ask me but many people feel that's the bad side of town.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:10 PM

4 posts, read 4,420 times
Also, try JWC or Colonial for rental properties. Stay away from Lone Star Realty

Old 05-19-2016, 08:19 PM

125 posts, read 183,543 times
Whatever you do, don't buy any kind of fast car there. They are all beat on and sorry excuses for trade ins. I tried to buy a GTO there and can't believe how many raggedy, interior torn up, paint scratched-to-hell cars they had.Then after finding a good one, I went to pick it up and they did a bait and switch on me. Told me they never even checked in the car I was supposed to buy, its still on its way there (I test drove it the day before), and said "but here's one for $20k" I said, "I never agreed to that, I agreed to 17k on the other one."

Awful buying experience, I walked. I was in sheer disbelief of the stupidity and attempted scam.

Stay away from JWC rentals. We used them when we rented in copperas cove, and they tried to scam us when we moved out. They tried to charge us an "AC filter cleaning" charge of something like $270. I told them to show me where in my rental contract it mentions I'm responsible for home maintenance... They couldn't find it. After threatening to use a military lawyer against them, I spoke to the owner and walked with a check for the exact amount and cashed it before they could stop payment on it. I can't believe how hard I had to push to get my money back.

Hands down the scammiest town I've ever lived in. If you are military, beware, they are after you and your paycheck. Honestly, I really didn't like living there. Although, it was much better than El Paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas