Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I've always thought of Kilgore as being very family oriented, close knit and civic minded. Kilgore College has long been the pride of the town, along with the Rangerettes. It's close enough to Longview to share amenities without seeming too large.
I lived in Kilgore for 8 years. It's OK but I prefer the Tyler area to the Longview area. That being said, both areas have their strong suits.

I read somewhere that Longview is 80 percent blue collar and 20 percent white collar, and that Tyler is 80 percent white collar and 20 percent blue collar. Not sure if that's true or false but regardless of the exact percentages, it's true that the Longview area is historically much more blue collar than the Tyler area (and I'm including Kilgore in the Longview area). I'm not saying that's a bad thing but it does make a difference when it comes to whether or not a person prefers one or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 12:40 PM
q32

42 posts, read 58,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa O. View Post
What's the bug situation like in Abilene? Do you get many spiders, roaches, scorpions, something else creepy crawly to be worried about?
If you live out in the rural areas outside of town, you might run into scorpions or wolf spiders, but I don't see them in city limits very often. The biggest thing is that a rainy spring or summer can be followed by a late-summer or early-fall swarm of crickets.

Overall, nothing bad that I can think of. It seems like I encounter fewer bugs here than I did when I lived in Ft. Worth.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:36 PM

30 posts, read 34,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q32 View Post
If you live out in the rural areas outside of town, you might run into scorpions or wolf spiders, but I don't see them in city limits very often. The biggest thing is that a rainy spring or summer can be followed by a late-summer or early-fall swarm of crickets.

Overall, nothing bad that I can think of. It seems like I encounter fewer bugs here than I did when I lived in Ft. Worth.
Thanks for the reply! Cricket swarms I could deal with, as long as they stay outside for the most part. A few inside wouldn't be that bad, I guess. Would provide entertainment for the cat.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:27 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Cricket swarms I could deal with, as long as they stay outside for the most part. A few inside wouldn't be that bad, I guess. Would provide entertainment for the cat.
Unless you lived in Abilene, a move from Vancover Washington, you address shows, to Abilene would be a shock to your system, unless you think you want the Texas thing, a shock, lol.

Tyler, East Texas would be a lot more "gentler" on you system. More the South, tree, vegetation, terrain is completely different. Two different worlds, lol.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Unless you lived in Abilene, a move from Vancover Washington, you address shows, to Abilene would be a shock to your system, unless you think you want the Texas thing, a shock, lol.

Tyler, East Texas would be a lot more "gentler" on you system. More the South, tree, vegetation, terrain is completely different. Two different worlds, lol.
I know Texas will be a different world, culture wise, scenery wise, temperature wise, more conservative and religious too. Honestly, I'm a home body. I spend most of my time indoors working, so scenery's not all that important to me. I don't mind differing political or religious views, I don't feel the need to argue my POV. I'm not expecting to recreate Washington in Texas, but to find a friendlier, slower, more peaceful pace of life. It'd be nice to actually speak to my neighbors every now and again.

My biggest concerns are heat and bugs, with a minor concern about tornados, just because I don't have any experience with tornados. At least there's a fair warning most times, unlike earthquakes I'm used to, and the odds of them touching down right exactly where you are, are less likely. It seems to get less hot in Abilene, which is tipping it higher on my scales. The Waco area looks nice too, a good sized community, though crime rates are higher, and more days of 100+ weather. Tyler seems like a good sized place, but more prone to tornados, though I do like the general location. Housing costs seem to be pretty even across the three cities.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:26 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Quote:
I know Texas will be a different world, culture wise, scenery wise, temperature wise, more conservative and religious too. Honestly, I'm a home body. I spend most of my time indoors working, so scenery's not all that important to me. I don't mind differing political or religious views, I don't feel the need to argue my POV. I'm not expecting to recreate Washington in Texas, but to find a friendlier, slower, more peaceful pace of life. It'd be nice to actually speak to my neighbors every now and again.

My biggest concerns are heat and bugs, with a minor concern about tornados, just because I don't have any experience with tornados. At least there's a fair warning most times, unlike earthquakes I'm used to, and the odds of them touching down right exactly where you are, are less likely. It seems to get less hot in Abilene, which is tipping it higher on my scales. The Waco area looks nice too, a good sized community, though crime rates are higher, and more days of 100+ weather. Tyler seems like a good sized place, but more prone to tornados, though I do like the general location. Housing costs seem to be pretty even across the three cities.
Heat is the question, technically, Abilene gets hotter and colder, by not much, but Tyler does have the humidity. If scenery's not all that important to you, many places may work. City property tax less by far, like 300% if you buy a place in Tyler city limits, you can't beat the Medical Facilities for comparable size, doesn't sound like that important now. Closer to DFW, maybe that not important. But if these are too not important, then, many places should be fine. It's the heat, that gets most people.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Heat is the question, technically, Abilene gets hotter and colder, by not much, but Tyler does have the humidity. If scenery's not all that important to you, many places may work. City property tax less by far, like 300% if you buy a place in Tyler city limits, you can't beat the Medical Facilities for comparable size, doesn't sound like that important now. Closer to DFW, maybe that not important. But if these are too not important, then, many places should be fine. It's the heat, that gets most people.
Yes, the city property taxes are definitely something to take into account as well, and the hospitals are important too. I imagine it'll be one of those things where I have to go there and check them all out, and I'm hoping one will strike me and it'll feel like home. Waco's the first stop on the tour this summer.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Summer is a good time to recon TX, as it can be miserable.

I will keep my Vancouver, Wa region home for the 12 annual weeks of good weather there.

Be sure to add the hill country to your research list. I appreciate living in Texas' retreat region.
Nice to get cheap flights from PDX to AUS or SAT (i live near both)

Remember.... Coolers of salmon fly free on SWA and are good 'trading' material in TX. I return to PNW with brisket and BBQ.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Summer is a good time to recon TX, as it can be miserable.

I will keep my Vancouver, Wa region home for the 12 annual weeks of good weather there.

Be sure to add the hill country to your research list. I appreciate living in Texas' retreat region.
Nice to get cheap flights from PDX to AUS or SAT (i live near both)

Remember.... Coolers of salmon fly free on SWA and are good 'trading' material in TX. I return to PNW with brisket and BBQ.
Yeah, I figure if we need to see if we can take the heat, we might as well come and visit in the summer. How do you find the humidity to be compared to Vancouver, WA? I always thought of it as fairly humid here.

I wish we could afford to keep both places, but selling this house in our booming market is what we need to pay for a place in Texas.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I find humidity is bearable in Hill Country, especially if you are on a ridge (better air flow),

One of my homes is in a valley, do not. Like that.

Vancouver is not humid compared to most of TX. I could never do coastal, or eastern TX, including Tyler. I enjoy my 50F PNW or Colorado sleeping nights in summer.

I do not have AC in my cars, so TX is not a summer option for me.

My TX homes are all under $150k, except one was $230k for two houses and 3 shops. two of my TX homes were under $100k. All are rural with view and acreage. I have still been picking up a few rural view homes in WA for under $100k, but my WA property taxes are 10x my TX property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas