Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 12:08 PM

49 posts, read 53,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
It's too bad there wasn't enough rain and humidity to save all those trees from dying in 2011. Houston felt the drought just like the rest of Texas did.

Houston is cooler than Dallas, but it's not a significant difference, in my opinion. It's still not as moderate as Galveston or even Port Arthur, for that matter.
You said it yourself, the 2011 drought affected all of Texas (including Galveston and Port Arthur), and stretched even into areas of Louisiana. Even certain areas of the Southeast, such as southern Georgia, were affected to an extent. That is a bad example, anyways, because that was an unprecedented drought unusual to the area; it will be more than a lifetime before drought like that even has a chance of happening again.

Even at that, because of the humidity, many areas of Central Houston, along with the rest of coastal/Southeastern Texas, didn't really feel true drought, because while rainfall wasn't as high as it normally was, the moisture/humidity was constant, and there were even many days of rain and clouds to keep plants green and alive. The brunt of the tree-loss was really in the far inland areas of the Houston metro, and that, anyways, had more to do with that nature of the type of clay soil present in those areas than it had to do with the actual dryness itself.

How ironic that you try to minimize the nearly 5F difference in high temps between Houston and Dallas, while you go on to say that Port Arthur is milder than Houston (when the two cities have basically identical climates).

Last edited by B00ST; 05-15-2016 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 02:07 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,440,091 times
Please.

Any Texas city in the summer is going to be hot hot hot. For that matter, same with any "podunk" Texas town, or any rural Texas ranch. News flash - it's VERY HOT ANY PLACE IN TEXAS IN THE SUMMERTIME.

Humidity makes a difference to some people but not everyone. Regardless of the humidity, though, or lack thereof, if you're in Texas in the summertime, you're going to be hot unless you're chilling inside or in a tube on a river somewhere.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:10 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,959,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Please.

Any Texas city in the summer is going to be hot hot hot. For that matter, same with any "podunk" Texas town, or any rural Texas ranch. News flash - it's VERY HOT ANY PLACE IN TEXAS IN THE SUMMERTIME.

Humidity makes a difference to some people but not everyone. Regardless of the humidity, though, or lack thereof, if you're in Texas in the summertime, you're going to be hot unless you're chilling inside or in a tube on a river somewhere.
Wrong!

Houston is an oasis in Texas during the summer time. The refreshing coastal breezes cool the whole city and the lush natural foliage creates a canopy that shades the whole city. It's quite dreamy.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:36 PM

20,505 posts, read 33,382,521 times
Why does this certain poster continue to register on this board after having dozens of his accounts banned over and over? He is argumentative and adds nothing to the conversation ever. He also doesn't like that other people have opinions and that people have different experiences.

Anyway, as I grow older, I prefer humidity. But sometimes, dry air is nice too. I don't particular care if it's dry or humid if the temps are 65-85 degrees. But I can understand how people say Dallas is more comfortable at 100 than Houston is at 90. Really, I'm surprised that even Houston has that many 100 degree days.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:36 PM

49 posts, read 53,848 times
Quote:
Please.

Obviously all of Texas is hot during summer; no one disputes that. However, some places obviously are more temperate during summer than others; that is undeniable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Wrong!

Houston is an oasis in Texas during the summer time. The refreshing coastal breezes cool the whole city and the lush natural foliage creates a canopy that shades the whole city. It's quite dreamy.
It might as well be compared to much of the rest of the state during summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why does this certain poster continue to register on this board after having dozens of his accounts banned over and over? He is argumentative and adds nothing to the conversation ever. He also doesn't like that other people have opinions and that people have different experiences.
Of course people have opinions; some just aren't sensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Anyway, as I grow older, I prefer humidity. But sometimes, dry air is nice too. I don't particular care if it's dry or humid if the temps are 65-85 degrees. But I can understand how people say Dallas is more comfortable at 100 than Houston is at 90. Really, I'm surprised that even Houston has that many 100 degree days.
Those numbers come from the Bush Airport, which is far inland from the Gulf, and, thus, isn't as moderated. Even then, the numbers might be off; a quick look at NWS data confirms this.

Last edited by B00ST; 05-15-2016 at 06:53 PM..

Old 05-15-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Wrong!

Oh that's right. I don't know how I have missed that when I've been in Houston in the summer. Silly me, all that sweat and heat must have just been in my imagination!

Old 05-15-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00ST View Post
Obviously all of Texas is hot during summer; no one disputes that. However, some places obviously are more temperate during summer than others; that is undeniable.
Honey, just stop. There is NO PLACE in Texas that can be described as "temperate" during the dog days of summer.

Quote:
temperate - moderate in respect to temperature; not subject to prolonged extremes of hot or cold weather.
Temperate | Define Temperate at Dictionary.com

Old 05-16-2016, 07:57 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,752,460 times
Quote:
Honey, just stop. There is NO PLACE in Texas that can be described as "temperate" during the dog days of summer.

Temperate | Define Temperate at Dictionary.com
Except Galveston, kind of, in my opinion. It's more humid than hot plus you always have a breeze that makes the air feel less oppressive. It still gets hot but not really "Texas hot", if you know what I mean. Even in 2011, they hit 100 only once.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:06 PM

5,843 posts, read 6,134,509 times
Quote:

Ok, I know the above comment is tongue in cheek, but there is some validity in this statement. I moved back to Houston last Summer after 15 years away and I live on the water in the Clear Lake area. I got here in mid June, so I experienced the full heat of the Summer last year. We spend a lot of time sitting outside, and I can say with absolute certainty that it felt breezier, less humid and, overall, far more pleasant sitting in my backyard here than outside at my parents, in-laws and friends houses in town.

OTOH, I would have welcomed a Houston Summer the 5 years I lived in Wichita Falls....

Old 05-16-2016, 01:18 PM

1,646 posts, read 1,220,944 times
Look, the subtropical paradise brother is back. How many sock puppets does that make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas