Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:13 AM

730 posts, read 775,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Don't get too caught up on property tax RATES w/o looking at property VALUES, as well. A low rate doesn't do you much good on an expensive piece or property.
Unless your AGI exceeds $300,000 if married filing jointly or $150,000 as a single filer all of your property taxes are deductible from your federal taxes. After you cross that mark deductions are limited to 3% of your AGI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 08:22 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
It's property tax average is .5 % where Texas is about 1.87%. That's quite the difference.

The Carolina's are pretty. I'm just up in the air. It's tiring to look for homes, have decent schools, etc. Do I rent, buy a house, buy land build a house? It's giving me a headache. I just know I need to get out of VT due to the cold weather and liberal views.
Be careful what you wish for. I considered myself a conservative before I moved here. The term has a whole different meaning in the south. Don't get me wrong. I have no regrets and I love living in the Lone Star State. I hear ya about the cold weather. The schools in Texas are much better than the Carolinas.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:21 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Make sure you visit your first choice before getting too far into the planning, and especially before moving. That might change everything.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:14 PM

62 posts, read 83,976 times
Check out some of the smaller towns around Tyler, preferably the ones west and north. Places like Lindale, Mineola, Wills Point, Canton, Quitman, Emory will have affordable land for the type of recreation you desire and much better schools than Tyler. There you will find good salt-of-the-earth, "classy rednecks" like you described. Trail riding is big in that part of Texas and so is youth sports.

In my opinion, the further east of Tyler you go the worse it gets. You're going to find a whole different demographic than you're used to in Vermont with a lot more crime. Also the further east you go the fewer "classy rednecks" youre going to find and much more "methy rednecks".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas