Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 11:45 AM

496 posts, read 466,979 times

Advertisements

So, I'm STILL trying to make a decision where my family should move. The Tyler, Texas area is one place we are considering. My husband's employer's Parent company has a location in Tyler. He runs heavy equipment for a portable crusher (rock) and travels for his work. For example, right now he is 3 hours away and stays at a hotel M-F and home on weekends so the town we decide on is flexible.

Requirements: Good high school, place for horses and dogs, place where it's ok to shoot guns at targets, ride mountain bikes etc.

We don't need big city things: opera, theater, art gallery etc. Our type of good times is: cookout with friends, watch our boys play sports, riding horses, hanging with the dogs. My husband and I love to just stop at a store, grab some drinks and snacks, and just drive old back roads seeing new things. I describe us as "classy rednecks." LOL.

I would like to be within 15 minutes or so from box stores (Walmart etc.,) restaurants (Applebees, 99, Olive Garden etc.).

Looking for 5-10 acres of pasture land, small cute house, some privacy from neighbors (I don't want to be able to watch them in their windows because we are so close. LOL.) We are actually homebodies. Since my husband is gone M-F, when he's home he likes to stay home and putter around the house.

We would like to downsize in payments. Our mortgage right now is $1500/month. We really like to just simplify our lives so we can relax and not worry about paying the bills.

Any suggestions on a safe town/county that won't break the bank but isn't in the slums either.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 12:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
It's hard to beat the Carolinas honestly. I love my home state but I wouldn't mind living in the research triangle of NC or I've heard great things about Greensboro, SC and Charleston.

Tyler to me seems a bit too boring. I don't know much about it but I haven't heard that it's as pretty as NC or SC

Old 05-11-2016, 12:20 PM

It's property tax average is .5 % where Texas is about 1.87%. That's quite the difference.

The Carolina's are pretty. I'm just up in the air. It's tiring to look for homes, have decent schools, etc. Do I rent, buy a house, buy land build a house? It's giving me a headache. I just know I need to get out of VT due to the cold weather and liberal views.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:29 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Go to Texas build a house on some land. It's pretty affordable especially in a place like Tyler. I've heard it has good schools too.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:09 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
It's property tax average is .5 % where Texas is about 1.87%. That's quite the difference.

The Carolina's are pretty. I'm just up in the air. It's tiring to look for homes, have decent schools, etc. Do I rent, buy a house, buy land build a house? It's giving me a headache. I just know I need to get out of VT due to the cold weather and liberal views.
Taxes between NC and TX are a wash. Sc has the lowest total tax bill.

Tax Freedom Day 2016 is April 24 | Tax Foundation

Old 05-11-2016, 05:47 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,507 times
You can probably close the thread at this point. Tyler has everything you just listed. Based on my experiences living in both places, I found the inland portion of North Carolina to be similar enough to Tyler that a person from either place could easily adapt to the other. With the exception of not having a Bojangles and mountains everywhere, they're shouldn't be much of a leap for you.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:25 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Don't get too caught up on property tax RATES w/o looking at property VALUES, as well. A low rate doesn't do you much good on an expensive piece or property.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:20 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
You can probably close the thread at this point. Tyler has everything you just listed. Based on my experiences living in both places, I found the inland portion of North Carolina to be similar enough to Tyler that a person from either place could easily adapt to the other. With the exception of not having a Bojangles and mountains everywhere, they're shouldn't be much of a leap for you.
Yes, you can just close the thread now, Tyler almost has everything you said you wanted. No Tyler's Utopia, nicer places in the US, not as nice/scenic as North Carolina, mountains, but we have mountain bike trails, lol. Remember in income tax in Texas.

As far as Texas is concern, Tyler by far, has more of what YOU are looking far, case closed.

You see from my posts, Tyler information is a big hobby on mine. I have talked with many people direct, if you want to email me that way. Don't have all the answers, but close, I have been "stumped" before, but try, I said, try not to be bias. I live as many do, I Tyler by choice. Good luck to you

Old 05-12-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Go to Texas build a house on some land. It's pretty affordable especially in a place like Tyler. I've heard it has good schools too.
I think, after researching Texas, the Tyler area is right where I'd like to be. What is the deal with tornadoes in the Tyler area? Can you safely live in Texas, enjoy the outdoors, without constantly worrying about snakes? I have horses and dogs. My husband and kids like to hunt and be in the woods. We like to mountain bike. My son LOVES the water, loves swimming, tubing etc. Can this be safely done with the snakes down there?

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Yes, you can just close the thread now, Tyler almost has everything you said you wanted. No Tyler's Utopia, nicer places in the US, not as nice/scenic as North Carolina, mountains, but we have mountain bike trails, lol. Remember in income tax in Texas.

As far as Texas is concern, Tyler by far, has more of what YOU are looking far, case closed.

You see from my posts, Tyler information is a big hobby on mine. I have talked with many people direct, if you want to email me that way. Don't have all the answers, but close, I have been "stumped" before, but try, I said, try not to be bias. I live as many do, I Tyler by choice. Good luck to you
Thank you! I might just take you up on your offer to email you. Tyler is the area IF we move to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas