Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 04:09 PM

43 posts, read 49,577 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

So I'm a recent graduate of Texas A&M University. I loved the vibes I got from College Station, but it was too small town for me and I didn't feel like there was a whole lot to do besides Northgate. I'm wanting to teach High School Math and eventually get my Masters in order to become an Assistant Principal down the road. If I decide I want to change paths from education, I do have a Business degree.

I'm originally from Pasadena and that's where I'm at currently in the meantime. I absolutely HATE it here and don't want to be anywhere close to this area.

I was hoping if anyone could shed some light on areas that have kind of a "new" vibe to them, where everything just seems more modern and fresh. Preferably not a small town or very country area. I like city vibes, but not being right in the middle of a downtown. I'd like an area that has good surrounding school districts for my potential employment & I'm not planning on having any kids anytime soon although being close to family-friendly areas isn't a bad thing at all.

I would like to be in an area where there are a variety of things to do. Outdoors stuff is fun, but I don't do it all that often minus going FISHING! I do like the night life, but it's not something I frequent all of the time.

I've been recommended The Woodlands as well as Round Rock by friends, but I haven't traveled much so I'm not sure what to make of them until I actually go pay a visit.

I know I won't get everything that I want, but I figured I'd throw out my interests to help with suggestions.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can include.

Thank you everyone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 04:30 PM

79 posts, read 102,428 times
Given what you're looking for, you might be interested in checking out the Houston Heights. Its got the city vibes nearby, without actually being right in the middle of downtown. Can get to all the nightlife within a reasonable amount of time in all directions. Its a healthy mix of family friendly and singles. There always seems to be new places around for that "new" vibe, as places are also consistently being upgraded, but at the same time a lot of eclectic old school homes that aren't going anywhere. Very artsy. The variety of things to do is definitely there, whether you want them closer by or being able to get to them in other parts of Houston from there, without having to drive an ungodly amount. OH....and I think there are places to fish somewhere down there. I lived there for 3 years, didn't explore nearly as much as I should have, regrets. But it was a pretty cool place. There may be an affordability issue for the better parts. Check it out. Good luck to ya!!

Old 06-04-2016, 05:32 PM

11,820 posts, read 26,706,107 times
Have you considered looking for a job, and moving where the job will be?

Old 06-04-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Have you considered looking for a job, and moving where the job will be?
That's the goal. Looking for jobs in places of preference and expanding the job search as necessary.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:24 AM

22 posts, read 15,923 times
Austin would be best for you since you are a recent college graduate. As you know, Austin is a college city since UT Austin is considered the best university a long with Texas A&M. There's so much to do there and the city strives on the outdoors and it being eco-friendly. There's also nearby fishing holes. You can never get bored in that city. Now whatever you do, don't move to Houston. I live here and it gets boring real quick. The people aren't as open nor friendly as the people in Austin; the city caters much to its family-oriented people not so good for college graduates who has no kids. More family friendly people live here and if you are single..they don't treat you so nicely. The only areas that are good for young college students would be the Montrose area, but its filled with hipsters. The city has no close fishing holes unless you wanna drive 45 minutes to Galveston, Kemah, or La Porte. In Houston, we have a huge massive issue with flooding. The nightlife in Austin as well as in Houston is very nice. Lots of clubs, bars, diverse restaurants in both cities. Austin is a lot more outdoorsy than Houston.

Good luck on your search.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,617 posts, read 57,620,656 times
I vote for NW of San Antonio.
Less muggy, little risk of tornadoes, lots of history and events.

Good school districts in Boerne and Helotes, near to SA for more variety of things to do, occasional trips to Austin, and further edu options.

Close to good year-round outdoor recreation and festivities in the Hill Country. And lots of fishing, stream and lake.

EZ to escape TX very inexpensively via, SAT or AUS airports. (Frontier has been running $29 flights AUS>DEN, or Las Vegas)

Old 06-05-2016, 08:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,151,573 times
It sounds like you're looking for a big, newer suburb that's close to a city? If so, check out the Cedar Park - Round Rock - Georgetown triangle just north of Austin, the Collin County suburbs north of Dallas (Frisco, Allen, McKinney), or some of the newer burbs around Fort Worth like Keller and Southlake. I'm sure there are some new construction, fast growing suburbs outside of San Antonio as well. These tend to be more expensive areas with pretty good public schools and that clean, new construction look you seem to like in College Station.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:43 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,427,247 times
In addition to the suburbs north of Austin, I recommend the ones south of Austin such as Kyle and Buda. Kyle is one of the fastest growing cities in Texas. The cities between NE San Antonio and SW Austin will give you easy access to both cities. There are a lot of outdoorsy things to do around New Braunfels and San Marcos.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:56 AM

15,242 posts, read 35,471,075 times
Fishing, btw, is not that great around Austin. Probably some of the least fun fishing in the state anywhere near a major city (El Paso excluded, perhaps). If you are looking for salt-water fishing, you would want to be closer to the coast. If you want freshwater fishing, north and east Texas are more likely candidates.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reohh View Post
Austin would be best for you since you are a recent college graduate. As you know, Austin is a college city since UT Austin is considered the best university a long with Texas A&M. There's so much to do there and the city strives on the outdoors and it being eco-friendly. There's also nearby fishing holes. You can never get bored in that city. Now whatever you do, don't move to Houston. I live here and it gets boring real quick. The people aren't as open nor friendly as the people in Austin; the city caters much to its family-oriented people not so good for college graduates who has no kids. More family friendly people live here and if you are single..they don't treat you so nicely. The only areas that are good for young college students would be the Montrose area, but its filled with hipsters. The city has no close fishing holes unless you wanna drive 45 minutes to Galveston, Kemah, or La Porte. In Houston, we have a huge massive issue with flooding. The nightlife in Austin as well as in Houston is very nice. Lots of clubs, bars, diverse restaurants in both cities. Austin is a lot more outdoorsy than Houston.

Good luck on your search.
Hey! Thanks for the response. I am definitely leaning towards Austin or the outskirts of it. I have family in Houston and I really just am not a fan of most of the area at all. Only place that I've really considered of it would be The Woodlands which has just been from word of mouth. When I visit I doubt it'll be so nice that I'd reconsider living in Houston haha but we'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It sounds like you're looking for a big, newer suburb that's close to a city? If so, check out the Cedar Park - Round Rock - Georgetown triangle just north of Austin, the Collin County suburbs north of Dallas (Frisco, Allen, McKinney), or some of the newer burbs around Fort Worth like Keller and Southlake. I'm sure there are some new construction, fast growing suburbs outside of San Antonio as well. These tend to be more expensive areas with pretty good public schools and that clean, new construction look you seem to like in College Station.
This response is awesome. More or less that's exactly what I'm looking for and I appreciate the suggestions. I'll definitely look more into them. Of those suburbs listed which ones would you say you'd place a preference on and why? Just curious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas