Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:30 AM

45 posts, read 35,994 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! I'm a single 25 year old female born & raised in a small town in New England, desperately needing a change! I'd like to live somewhere that's scenic, laid back, has a lot to do outdoors, has a hometown feel, but still close by to a major city, & is also known for food, music, & preferably sports...what're your suggestions/pros & cons? I'm a vet tech which isn't exactly a high paying job, but I love what I do! I'd like to find & meet kind, genuine, down to earth people. I have a very versatile personality which is why I'd like to live in an area with a little bit of everything. I'm an ambivert, there are times I love doing things on my own, which is why I'd like to live in a state/city that has a lot to do outdoors, but I also enjoy being around others & going out for dinner, drinks, sports events, etc. so nightlife is definitely important as well. Definitely don't want to live in the middle of nowhere (especially since I'm single & would like to find my person), but not necessarily in a large/major city either. I haven't been to Texas, so I'm just trying to narrow down possible locations so I can plan trips & visit before relocating. Nature really effects my mood in a positive way, I'd love to spend my time off hiking & exploring different places/parks/trails/etc. But really anywhere beautiful & scenic where I can spend a lot of time being active outdoors (& taking photos) would do. I know I need to physically visit places before moving, but it's hard knowing that even if I narrow it down to the state, there's still SO many cities that are polar opposite than others. My biggest fear is not fitting in or feeling at "home" or that I belong wherever I end up. I definitely want to be at my happiest & start/create a new life. Obviously being in my 20's I'm also interested living somewhere that's good for singles to meet new people; thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 06:37 AM

18 posts, read 33,201 times
I'm on this forum for a completely different topic but saw your post. I'm a native Texan and absolutely hands down would say Austin is where you should go. I LOVE Fort Worth, but we don't have near the out doorsy lifestyle you're looking for. Austin is almost exactly what you describe! While it may be a 'big city', it feels homey and has A LOT of out doors stuff to do. Have someone specifically talk to you about the right areas there, but based on what you said, I think you'd love it there!

Old 06-12-2016, 07:21 AM

Thank you!! I've actually been told that before. I'm drawn to the mountains (places like CO appeal to me) but I met & sat down with a gentleman last weekend & he said the same thing! So obviously now I'm curious about Texas, haha definitely interested to hear more!

Old 06-12-2016, 07:25 AM

18 posts, read 33,201 times
Ha! The Texas Hill Country (aka Austin) is probably your best bet if you're hoping for a CO type feel.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:31 AM

Awesome, I need to plan a trip! Thank you for commenting!

Old 06-12-2016, 07:36 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Austin, you can close the thread, lol

Old 06-12-2016, 07:41 AM

Haha, may I ask what part? I'd be looking to rent an apartment & for a vet-tech job preferably without a long commute! I'm a little impatient when it comes to traffic which I know is big in Austin. But if the pros outweigh the cons I'm willing to take a risk.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
If you like mtns, Texas will just be a stopover.

I am a mtn kid, raised on a Colorado ranch, then relocated to WA state, and also keep rural farm props in Hill Country, TX to get a little sunshine.

Mtns still call me. I think you better give them a try, or you might always wish you had.

Vet tech and mtns and looking for spouse sounds like Sheridan, Powell, or Cody, WY to get a genuine keeper, who will want to stay in the mtns.

Spearfish, SD might work as well.

Texas will always be there to visit / live temporarily (8 mo per yr).

If below age 30.... NZ ! They have great mtns. (And healthcare !)

Old 06-13-2016, 08:21 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Maybe not just Austin, but consider the entire Hill Country region.

For someone from TX who felt drawn to the mountains, and actually moved to CO for "that experience", I can say now that the mountains lost their significance after just a few years. I thought they'd be otherworldly and majestic to be near, after years at sea level. They were impressive for awhile, but - at least in CO where I currently am - they are dry and bleak, and the trees and vegetation are scrawny. There's also not a lot of shade in this very open region (CO). I'll take a nice densely wooded hilly area - i.e. much of TX - over that any day! Also, nature in TX doesn't go dead and dormant for long periods of time like in other areas of the country, so you don't have to wait around for nature to wake up.

"My biggest fear is not fitting in or feeling at "home" or that I belong wherever I end up
". That is definitely not a pleasant thing. My move to CO resulted in exactly that. The two factors I can think of are regionality (the northeast might be the most familiar to you over other areas), and how each state responds to people from other states/areas. Some states are really limited in culture, and are adverse to different cultures and people from elsewhere. Other states - such as TX - are more varied and diverse, and can handle different kinds of people, and even see the value and richness that that mix can bring.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-13-2016 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-13-2016, 10:06 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
LittleRhody - Maybe not just Austin, but consider the entire Hill Country region.

For someone from TX who felt drawn to the mountains, and actually moved to CO for "that experience", I can say now that the mountains lost their significance after just a few years. I thought they'd be otherworldly and majestic to be near after years at near sea level. They were impressive for awhile, but - at least in CO where I currently am - they are dry and bleak, and the trees and vegetation are scrawny. There's also not a lot of shade in this very open region (CO). I'll take a nice densely wooded hilly area - i.e. much of TX - over that any day! Also, nature in TX doesn't go dead and dormant for long periods of time like in other areas of the country, so you don't have to wait around for nature to wake up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas