Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 06:27 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
I misread your post. Thought it said or instead of not. Sorry.
No problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 07:21 PM

82 posts, read 80,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
How can Harvard be the best school in the world? It only accepts rich kids and the most disadvantaged. Harvard is an old world school. It existed even before a new nation was established of, by, and for the people. It is a private school of training and not of Soctratic learning. Rich kids are being trained at Harvard to take the place of their parents in how to suppress and milk society. As Harvard is the type of school that existed before Socrates, the University of Texas fits the model of what came out of the ancient philosopher. Read in Plato's dialogue Meno about Socrates's theory called 'Recollection.'
Exactly right. Ivy League schools are vastly overrated. Look at GHW and Dubya Bush, both Yale graduates-they can't even form a sentence in English or express a coherent thought-Dubya's GPA at Yale was so low that he would have been expelled from UH, which is where I graduated from, and he certainly wouldn't have passed the exit writing exam that we were required take in order to graduate.

Look at Jeb Bush, a graduate of UT Austin-he's much more articulate and intelligent than either his brother or father, and not only is he fluent in Spanish (BA in Latin American Studies) but he can also speak English!

Old 08-07-2016, 09:47 PM

214 posts, read 214,447 times
And yet he will never be president.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:56 PM

439 posts, read 436,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
If you believe that, you obviously know nothing about Harvard.

If you had taken it at Harvard, you probably would have paid less than UH.
I'm curious. Did you bother to read Meno? Did you understand the point? Prior to Socrates, there wasn't the belief that the mind of a slave could learn to advance. Only the children of betters got training. I wouldn't have learned this at Harvard in a million years. Again, thank God that I took philosophy at UH!!

Old 08-08-2016, 10:33 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
I wouldn't have learned this at Harvard in a million years.
How do you know what you would learn in a philosophy course at Harvard? Did you study their course offerings?
It seems to me that PHIL 7 Ancient Greek Philosophy whose description follows would cover Socrates. And this isn't the only one that seems to cover what you are getting at, it's one of many.

The origins of western philosophy. We will survey the fragmentary evidence remaining for the pre-Socratic philosophers, then spend most of the course examining questions raised and arguments put forward by Socrates (as portrayed by Plato), Plato, and Aristotle. What is it to learn, understand, and explain something? What are the most basic entities? What should be our highest aim in life? What is the difference between ‘philosophy’ and other (literary, political, religious, scientific) endeavors?

And this was from a very basic google of the Harvard course book. Did they not teach you how to google a course book for a university at the UofH?

What's odd is that you recognize what Harvard does (admits large number of wealthy people and tiny numbers of genius poor people) but that somehow doesn't cast back to the philosophical racist underpinnings of slaves not being able to learn (if Harvard lets in any poor people then they obviously think that some poor people have the capacity for learning, as in the modern world money is a pretty good proxy for classic intelligence [where classic intelligence = classic demeanor + classic capacity to learn). Hmm. You need to learn to apply what you study.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 08-08-2016 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
How do you know what you would learn in a philosophy course at Harvard? Did you study their course offerings?
It seems to me that PHIL 7 Ancient Greek Philosophy whose description follows would cover Socrates. And this isn't the only one that seems to cover what you are getting at, it's one of many.

The origins of western philosophy. We will survey the fragmentary evidence remaining for the pre-Socratic philosophers, then spend most of the course examining questions raised and arguments put forward by Socrates (as portrayed by Plato), Plato, and Aristotle. What is it to learn, understand, and explain something? What are the most basic entities? What should be our highest aim in life? What is the difference between ‘philosophy’ and other (literary, political, religious, scientific) endeavors?

And this was from a very basic google of the Harvard course book. Did they not teach you how to google a course book for a university at the UofH?

What's odd is that you recognize what Harvard does (admits large number of wealthy people and tiny numbers of genius poor people) but that somehow doesn't cast back to the philosophical racist underpinnings of slaves not being able to learn (if Harvard lets in any poor people then they obviously think that some poor people have the capacity for learning, as in the modern world money is a pretty good proxy for classic intelligence [where classic intelligence = classic demeanor + classic capacity to learn). Hmm. You need to learn to apply what you study.
My argument is that I am blessed because I didn't go to Harvard. Because I attended U of H instead, I am aware that three types of understanding exist today just as they did back in ancient Greece. One type was a sophisticated understanding which was argued by sophists against the existence of an absolute truth. Another was a formal understanding made by philosophers who formulated quality truths by utilizing rational truth engines. Finally, the last was a legal understanding by those born knowing the truth or else. The bullies with legal understanding are still in charge. It is Old World. This is what Harvard teaches.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:10 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Well, Harvard's MBA & Law School reputations have taken a hit in recent years, what with George W. & BHO's performances.

And no, UT doesn't have the same rep as Harvard in Texas. Both are highly respected, but UT is more familiar to Texans. I'd rather see Texas emulate the superior California public university system. They are the model for excellence in higher education, IMO.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Well, Harvard's MBA & Law School reputations have taken a hit in recent years, what with George W. & BHO's performances.

And no, UT doesn't have the same rep as Harvard in Texas. Both are highly respected, but UT is more familiar to Texans. I'd rather see Texas emulate the superior California public university system. They are the model for excellence in higher education, IMO.
Hold on a second there. If California has the best public education system, why are so many of their people and businesses leaving the state?

I was born in Texas and educated in Texas. Allow me to explain what is happening today. We are having to endure the same exact persecution that folks in Greece were having to suffer during the Zenith of western philosophy. Information in those days was also out of control.

There is a difference between relating to others information in a definitive way and relating it to them in a rational way. To establish a true definitive statement, all one needs is to string together a subject and a predicate as is done in a dictionary. To establish a rational statement, one needs to string together at least three proper sentences with at least two being premises and one being a conclusion. The vast majority of us today are asleep to this subtle difference between what is definitive and what is rational.

As we are suffering within a society with too much information today, those silly philosophy guys in ancience Greece suffering from the same situatiin actually managed to gain control.

What is the point? Well, I was educated within Texas schools.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:26 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Ok, is anyone else creeped out by the fact that there are or is a troll in this forum that keeps posting weird stuff like the post above and sometimes answers himself? The ghost of I Love Buildings lives and has taken many forms! LOL.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Ok, is anyone else creeped out by the fact that there are or is a troll in this forum that keeps posting weird stuff like the post above and sometimes answers himself? The ghost of I Love Buildings lives and has taken many forms! LOL.
I majored in creative writing at U of H. As my English professor once stated, if it is only a sentence, it is irrational. 'I think, therefore I am." is irrational. It is not logical, but a Platonic "best principled statement."

Descartes was being humorous when he concluded his meditation with a definitive sentence.

Look.if taking the courage to think is trolling, we are all in big trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: