Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 01:01 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,957,876 times

Advertisements

Texas Ag, and while I do agree a bit with LePoison, it true that Texas has it shares of braggarts, I don't think it has to do with some insecurity or attention seeking. It has to do with an iconcalstic mindset. In a lot of ways Texas is very different from other states and many wear it as a badge of honor and want to use it to stand out from the rest. To me that is like a guy wanting to stand out by wearing a big hat or something. The only difference is the guy might not truly give two diddlies of what other people think and that angers the other people such as Nerdlord and LePoison who think why can't they just be like everyone else abd shut up. Then they drudge up these claims that its some insecurity. No it's not.

The rap music scene is the biggest example. Texas has such a unique sound in that field that they refuse to abandon it even while every other rap group is telling them to stop and move on, they don't want to and like what they like and wear it as a badge of honor. They're proud and don't care what people think. That angers the other rap groups and fans who think of the rappers as stubborn and ignorant and braggarts for no reason.

I mean it's a given that detractors would automatically resort to the claim that it's "insecurity". That's the only way they can explain someone clinging to something they personally cannot stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Although I'm still working on getting back to TX, I agree that we ultimately show our preferences, and that a lot can be learned (and appreciated) about Texas by getting away from it for some time. The people I live around currently seem to hate TX, though they are generally quiet about it. Inversely, I love the state (while also keeping quiet outwardly, to keep the peace). It's nice to know I have a place to get back to someday that I understand and connect with. They can have their opinions, and I can have mine. I can smile with what I know that they don't know, and be thankful to have the perspective that they'll never have.
Bingo. My feelings exactly. You don't know how truly special Texas is as a native until you leave. Ultimately you vote with your feet and I could care less how many people hate the state. I hope more do so they won't move there simply for a job. It is a different perspective that many don't have and care not to have. It really is a state of mind!

Old 08-09-2016, 01:25 PM

5,843 posts, read 6,134,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Texas Ag, and while I do agree a bit with LePoison, it true that Texas has it shares of braggarts, I don't think it has to do with some insecurity or attention seeking. It has to do with an iconcalstic mindset. In a lot of ways Texas is very different from other states and many wear it as a badge of honor and want to use it to stand out from the rest.
radiolibre99, I don't necessarily disagree with the above, and maybe "insecurity" is not the best word to use, but I do think a portion of the braggadocio and uniqueness of Texans is due to purposeful self selection of that mindset, and that's a large part of what bothers non Texans.

And Sunderpig2, good points about absence making the heart grow fonder.....I know you and I are on the same page about several Texas/Colorado things

Old 08-09-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
radiolibre99, I don't necessarily disagree with the above, and maybe "insecurity" is not the best word to use, but I do think a portion of the braggadocio and uniqueness of Texans is due to purposeful self selection of that mindset, and that's a large part of what bothers non Texans.

And Sunderpig2, good points about absence making the heart grow fonder.....I know you and I are on the same page about several Texas/Colorado things
Again I agree to an extent. It is a purposeful self selection but it's clinging to what they truly love about the state and bragging about it. It is a microcosm of what outsiders deal with when it comes to American exceptionalism or outright jingoism which is bad. Texas is America super sized and many people in other states just want these braggarts to shut up and be like everyone else. While I do think being a full on braggart is bad, I don't go for that, there is only so much you can do to build bridges with people by saying Texas is just like the other states. At some point you do look around and say yeah Texas is onto something and I hope they don't lose it.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:37 PM

5,843 posts, read 6,134,509 times
Quote:
Again I agree to an extent. It is a purposeful self selection but it's clinging to what they truly love about the state and bragging about it. It is a microcosm of what outsiders deal with when it comes to American exceptionalism or outright jingoism which is bad. Texas is America super sized and many people in other states just want these braggarts to shut up and be like everyone else. While I do think being a full on braggart is bad, I don't go for that, there is only so much you can do to build bridges with people by saying Texas is just like the other states. At some point you do look around and say yeah Texas is onto something and I hope they don't lose it.
I think that's well stated.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:05 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,988,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I know you and I are on the same page about several Texas/Colorado things
Thanks, yes definitely. Thanks too radiolibre99.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:14 PM

Thank ya kindly

Old 08-09-2016, 02:51 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,663,577 times
Quote:
Bingo. My feelings exactly. You don't know how truly special Texas is as a native until you leave. Ultimately you vote with your feet and I could care less how many people hate the state. I hope more do so they won't move there simply for a job. It is a different perspective that many don't have and care not to have. It really is a state of mind!
Like most other states, I'm neutral on Texas. I neither like it, nor dislike it here. If you ask me what I think about Idaho, I'll probably say that they have potatoes and are near Montana. If you ask me what I think of Texas, I'll tell you it's in the Southwest and is big.

All of this being said, I haven't found living here to be any different or special than any other state I've lived in (minus the extreme heat and boringness of DFW).

But one place I really miss is NC. Maybe because it's my home state? I just miss the beach, the mountains, greenery, and pork BBQ. Even if you are from some crappy place, you'll still probably miss "home", even if you've moved to paradise.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:02 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,818,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Like most other states, I'm neutral on Texas. I neither like it, nor dislike it here. If you ask me what I think about Idaho, I'll probably say that they have potatoes and are near Montana. If you ask me what I think of Texas, I'll tell you it's in the Southwest and is big.

All of this being said, I haven't found living here to be any different or special than any other state I've lived in (minus the extreme heat and boringness of DFW).

But one place I really miss is NC. Maybe because it's my home state? I just miss the beach, the mountains, greenery, and pork BBQ. Even if you are from some crappy place, you'll still probably miss "home", even if you've moved to paradise.
Not to sound like a "homer", but, seriously...?

Old 08-09-2016, 03:48 PM

Dallas/FW, boring? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas