Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:14 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You know why most Southerners and Texans smile to your face, folks? NEWSFLASH - IT'S BECAUSE WE'RE HAPPY.
Yes. I don't get why people from the northeast think peopled from the south aren't genuinely happy? Why do they think it's all an act? People can't genuinely be more extroverted, friendly, and happy? I don't know why being cynical and more socially awkward is seen as being "real"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Just experienced this today at work.

I was having lunch with some coworkers and asked about places where you might be able to build a cabin in Texas. I was telling them about a coworker in Missouri that had a beautiful rural cabin in the woods and how I'd love to be able to find an area like that, but hadn't really seen anything like that in Northern Texas (I never say anything negative about the state or DFW, even though I strongly dislike DFW).

Most of the people suggested looking in central TX or near Houston for some rural land, but one guy spoke up and said "if you don't like the terrain here in Texas, maybe staying in Missouri would have been a better fit". Other people looked at him with a shocked look.

I swear some Texans are so insecure about themselves or the state. This is exactly why non-Texans have a bad attitude about Texas.
You do know that could happen in any state, right? Don't read too much into it. Maybe instead of focusing on one idiot's response, you should stop to realize just how shocked the rest of the "normal" Texans were at his stupid response.

There are idiots everywhere. Texas doesn't have any more per capita than any other state as far as I can see. Now Louisiana is another story altogether. And I can say that because I'm from there - LOL. Those folks be's crazy.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson
Just experienced this today at work.

I was having lunch with some coworkers and asked about places where you might be able to build a cabin in Texas. I was telling them about a coworker in Missouri that had a beautiful rural cabin in the woods and how I'd love to be able to find an area like that, but hadn't really seen anything like that in Northern Texas (I never say anything negative about the state or DFW, even though I strongly dislike DFW).

Most of the people suggested looking in central TX or near Houston for some rural land, but one guy spoke up and said "if you don't like the terrain here in Texas, maybe staying in Missouri would have been a better fit". Other people looked at him with a shocked look.

I swear some Texans are so insecure about themselves or the state. This is exactly why non-Texans have a bad attitude about Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You do know that could happen in any state, right? Don't read too much into it. Maybe instead of focusing on one idiot's response, you should stop to realize just how shocked the rest of the "normal" Texans were at his stupid response.

There are idiots everywhere. Texas doesn't have any more per capita than any other state as far as I can see. Now Louisiana is another story altogether. And I can say that because I'm from there - LOL. Those folks be's crazy.
What KathrynAragon said. Plus, note that you said that MOST people made suggestions, but you choose to focus on the one idiot as an example of Texans. Wonder why that might be?

Old 08-09-2016, 08:08 AM

275 posts, read 469,762 times
A lot of people hate on the northeast but the cities are very different. I think in the more wealthy cities you will find more people who are snobby and think they are better than others and other negative traits. I went to college that had a lot of people from a big city, and the attitudes were totally different than what I was used to. In the poorer rustbelt cities, it is more blue collar, working class and the attitudes and people are different - more laidback, easygoing, friendly. A pull yourself up by the bootstraps attitude which (correct me if I'm wrong), can be found in texas. You are right, they are more direct up there. For the most part, you know where you stand with people. Im not from ohio, but buffalo. It has been my experience that people from my hometown may not be as friendly as texans, but they will help someone or give them a hand if needed like Texans will also.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:26 AM

455 posts, read 463,664 times
Here's a serious answer. IMHO, it's because for decades we Texans have boasted about how Texas is bigger and better than any other state. We probably have more than our fair share of braggarts who have amplified those messages. Then, of course, Hollywood came along and really warped people's perceptions. I remember a few years ago when one of the Food shows was doing a documentary on doughnuts, they started off the segment with Round Rocks doughnuts showing a cattle drive most likely in West Texas.

Just this week there is a meme going around Facebook showing how states would fit within the border of Texas. Although we find it humorous, others may resent it. Non Texans frequently have no idea of how long it takes to drive from El Paso to Houston. I watched one person have her mind boggled when I told her it took four hours to drive from Tyler to Abilene. So, it's a combination of our boasting (not bragging because it's true) Hollywood, and people's inability to comprehend the vastness of our state in both geography and wonderfulness.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:34 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times
I just never thought us talking about the state, even with a sense of pride was ever goiing to come off as bragging. I really didn't. I personally never meant to put anyone off its just that when you see he differences between the state and other states you kinda wanna talk about it but not in a way to demean but to compare. I guess people mistake that for bragging or boasting. I really did it unwittingly.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:53 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I just never thought us talking about the state, even with a sense of pride was ever goiing to come off as bragging. I really didn't. I personally never meant to put anyone off its just that when you see he differences between the state and other states you kinda wanna talk about it but not in a way to demean but to compare. I guess people mistake that for bragging or boasting. I really did it unwittingly.
It's not really bragging, but it's annoying to non-Texans. I've never heard people from other states constantly talk about their state (exceptions: CA and NY). I swear some Texans get together in groups and talk about Texas for hours. These are probably the same people with "Don't mess with Texas" and "Texas proud" stickers on the Texas Edition Ford trucks.

It's sort of like people who constantly need some sort of positive encouragement by asking questions like "isn't my design so pretty" and "didn't I do a good job on this" because their mommies and daddies didn't give them enough attention when they were younger.

I've mentioned it on here before, but I worked with a guy from Houston when I lived in Missouri. He would go on and on, and on again about Whataburger, HEB, and various other Texas things. After I went to these places, I left disappointed because they were just a fastfood joint and a grocery store like in any other state.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:41 PM

214 posts, read 214,473 times
Quote:
It's not really bragging, but it's annoying to non-Texans. I've never heard people from other states constantly talk about their state (exceptions: CA and NY). I swear some Texans get together in groups and talk about Texas for hours. These are probably the same people with "Don't mess with Texas" and "Texas proud" stickers on the Texas Edition Ford trucks.

It's sort of like people who constantly need some sort of positive encouragement by asking questions like "isn't my design so pretty" and "didn't I do a good job on this" because their mommies and daddies didn't give them enough attention when they were younger.

I've mentioned it on here before, but I worked with a guy from Houston when I lived in Missouri. He would go on and on, and on again about Whataburger, HEB, and various other Texas things. After I went to these places, I left disappointed because they were just a fastfood joint and a grocery store like in any other state.
This. The transplants are so obnoxious. They literally can never shut up about how much better it is in Texas.

+

Seeing crap like this in gas stations.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:50 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Quote:

I also agree with this. I just moved back to Texas after over a decade away living in various states including Missouri, Florida and Colorado, and everyplace I ever lived had people who loved their state and were proud of being from there, they just didn't vocalize it constantly or seek the affirmation of others. That, and I have found that many Texans are unable to take even the slightest bit of criticism about the state, no matter how constructive it may be.

At the end of the day, you ultimately vote with your feet, which is why we voluntarily chose to move back to Houston after many years away. I just live here now without the blinders on, thanks, in large part to my good experiences living elsewhere.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:57 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I just moved back to Texas after 15 years away living in various states, including Missouri, Florida and Colorado... At the end of the day, you ultimately vote with your feet, which is why we voluntarily chose to move back to Houston after many years away. I just live here now without the blinders on thanks, in large part, to my good experiences living elsewhere.
Although I'm still working on getting back to TX, I agree that we ultimately show our preferences, and that a lot can be learned (and appreciated) about Texas by getting away from it for some time. The people I live around currently seem to hate TX, though they are generally quiet about it. Inversely, I love the state (while also keeping quiet outwardly, to keep the peace). It's nice to know I have a place to get back to someday that I understand and connect with. They can have their opinions, and I can have mine. I can smile with what I know that they don't know, and be thankful to have the perspective that they'll never have.

When people hate Texas, we should be happy that we are not them. Giving in and getting bothered by the hate is the opposite response we should have. Besides, if what they are saying is bunk, why would we want to take them seriously?

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 08-09-2016 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas