U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 04:08 PM

6,866 posts, read 12,470,280 times
Of course, coke has a totally different meaning in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 04:10 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,625,431 times
When I was a kid, if I asked for a coke, they always asked what kind, and my response would usually be "Dr. Pepper." The first time I told a waitress in Ohio that I thought I would have a Coke, and was planning to ask her what kind they had, she took off and brought me a "CokeCola." I argued that I did not want a "CokeCola," and she argued that I had ordered exactly that. I finally figured out that in Ohio, I had to ask for a "Pop" and then ask what kinds they had. Oh yes, and it was almost impossible to find Dr. Peppers there at that time in history.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,414 posts, read 20,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Other than Texas and I guess some other small pockets of the country close by, everyone else in the nation refers to it as either soda or pop.
You're oversimplifying the geography. I used to live in Tennessee and constantly heard "coke" there. The map explains where else it's popular.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:16 PM

9,785 posts, read 10,806,982 times
Quote:
But it's not regional slang and what's with the all caps Yankee thing anyway?. I live in SC and the Civil War's been over for over 100 years. Sheesh! Other than Texas and I guess some other small pockets of the country close by, everyone else in the nation refers to it as either soda or pop. I was just curious how this came about. When I did ask this to my Texas coworkers and explained that coke is a cola flavored beverage and sprite is lemon lime, therefore they're not in any way interchangeable they agreed right away and didn't know how it came about.
Sorry, but yes, it IS regional thing. The map is factually researched and anybody can google the whole topic on other sites and see it well demonstrated. And what does living in South Carolina (are you from there originally, or just live there, by the way?) much less the "Civil War" have to do with the broader point?

BTW -- I am sure your Texas co-workers will be eternally grateful for your having pointed out this startling fact to them! Gosh, I bet if you asked people why they call a tissue a Kleenex, they wouldn't know either how it originally came about either. Or any of the other items Laura mentioned which, whether you disagree or not, is a very appropriate analogy to a lot of us.

Anyway, I don't have much time to spend with this, but I have to say that I don't think I have ever seen anyone ask for honest information on this forum (nothing wrong with that) then make such a federal case -- when they are honestly and politely answered -- when it goes against their own opinions, and all over something that doesn't affect them one way or another! Sheesh for sure!

I am not trying to be flippant or abrasive here, but your tone and words are often quite condecending and border on rude and insulting in a few places (the "stupid" remark).

All of that is what really seems "stupid"

But oh well, in the spirit of regional good-will and harmony, everyone have a good night!

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-20-2008 at 05:05 PM..

Old 02-20-2008, 04:17 PM

2,703 posts, read 174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Codeine cough syrup.
No, it is just called "Purple Drink". I've never heard it called Coke.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:56 PM

4,657 posts, read 5,363,188 times
James, it's Coca Cola, not CokeCola. Calling a Dr. Pepper a Coke is equal to calling a Chevy Tahoe a BMW. I mean they both have 4 wheels, a transmission and an engine, right?

TexasReb,
That map is 5 years old. I apologize nonetheless, I thought this was only a problem in Texas. I guess it's just more prevalent there as it seems almost everyone refers to soda as coke. Kleenex is NOT an appropriate analogy. Kleenex is just like any other tissue, Jell-o like any other flavored gelatin, QTips like any other cotton swab. Coke is nothing like Sprite, A&W or Mountain Dew. Why is this so hard to get?

Coke is a cola flavored carbonated beverage, Sprite; lemon lime, A&W; rootbeer, Mountain Dew; I have no idea what the heck flavor it is, but it sure isn't cola. Am I making any sense at all?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 PM

9,785 posts, read 10,806,982 times
Quote:
James, it's Coca Cola, not CokeCola. Calling a Dr. Pepper a Coke is equal to calling a Chevy Tahoe a BMW. I mean they both have 4 wheels, a transmission and an engine, right?

TexasReb,
That map is 5 years old. I apologize nonetheless, I thought this was only a problem in Texas. I guess it's just more prevalent there as it seems almost everyone refers to soda as coke. Kleenex is NOT an appropriate analogy. Kleenex is just like any other tissue, Jell-o like any other flavored gelatin, QTips like any other cotton swab. Coke is nothing like Sprite, A&W or Mountain Dew. Why is this so hard to get?

Coke is a cola flavored carbonated beverage, Sprite; lemon lime, A&W; rootbeer, Mountain Dew; I have no idea what the heck flavor it is, but it sure isn't cola. Am I making any sense at all?
I just got this before signing off, and I just wanted to add quickly that I do appreciate your more reasonable tone and apology.

Of course, I still don't believe in any way, shape, or form this is a "problem" and don't understand why you think so, but as they say, different strokes!

But anyway, almost supper time, so will just briefly reply to your question. No, a Kleenex is NOT like any other tissue, there are differences in texture, size, strength etc. Some cotton swabs are not like Q-tips so far as the "stick" goes, and Jell-O is different from other gelatin deserts in other way, I am sure. "Scotch tape" is generic term where there are difference in others similar.

So far as soft-drinks go, true there are a lot of different flavors, but the the presence of water and carbonation probably make all of them more alike than different! LOL

But the main thing is, that the whole coke thing is just a regionalism that sprang into being like a lot of these things do. And we down here certainly don't see it as anything that needs explained, much less be defensive about or, -- really -- even give it much thought really, except as an interesting point of note when discussing regional differences. What is so hard about THAT to get?

What I confess to being totally baffled about, is why this is such a source of frustration for you? And I do mean that politely, since you have calmed down a bit!

Ok, truly outta here. A good night to all!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:50 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,625,431 times
Sonrise, I know that it is Coca Cola. The reason I put quotes around the word is because that is the way we pronounced it in my family. In fact, we really pronounced it "Cokola."

Old 02-20-2008, 05:52 PM

24 posts, read 80,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
No, it is just called "Purple Drink". I've never heard it called Coke.
He was talking about the term "drank," not the term "Coke." I was talking about "cold dranks" (any type of Coke) and that's how the cough syrup got in the discussion. How anyone can drink cough syrup is beyond me, though I have been known to drink the sno-cone syrup by biting a hole in the bottom of the paper cone. Of course, then you have naked ice and a worthless sno-cone.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:12 PM

4,657 posts, read 5,363,188 times
Texasreb,
Truth? I'm very anal.

By the way, I bet if you blew your nose with a Kleenex and then with one of their competitors you would never be able to tell the difference. If I gave you jell-o and then some from it's competitor and asked you to tell me which was which, you'd be hard pressed.

I give you a glass of coke and a glass of sprite, not only do you see an immediate difference but then you taste them and they're again nothing alike. That was my point. Anyway, I love Texas.

James, funny story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas