Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 09:50 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,055,156 times

Advertisements

I like Fort Worth, been in it, around it,, out of it for 60 years that I can remember. Never, thought of it as a suburb of Dallas, that's just completely "laughable". Still, go there and Benbrook, Richland Hills, and North Richland Hills 5 - 6 times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 10:44 PM

30 posts, read 49,200 times
Well i never been to ft worth but been to dallas many times. But as a newbie to texas i could speak for myself if someone says theyre from Ft Worth i automaticlly think in my head "Dallas/Ft Worth" so yes lol
Just like i tell people who dont know where rio grande valley is I tell them "McAllen/Brownsville" area lol

Old 08-11-2016, 08:11 AM

194 posts, read 303,731 times
As a Texan who lived near Wichita Falls for many years before migrating to the DFW area for jobs, here are my two cents, for what they're worth:

Many people in the WF area still say "Dallas" to reflect the entire DFW area, including Fort Worth.

I live in NRH, but even my parents will tell people I moved to Dallas.
And when driving visitors around the metroplex, I've found that many have no concept of what cities are included, or where they are in relation to one another.

Wichita Falls gets no love, none at all. It's sad, really. Other than drought/water issues, which are OK for now, it's a nice place to live. ;-)

Old 08-11-2016, 09:30 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,102,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Ft Worth gets a lot of love from Texans. It's a lot more authentically "Texan" than Dallas, which might as well be anywhere, USA. It has its own identity distinctive from Dallas, and Texans know this
You can find "Texas" in Dallas, but you will need to do some digging. My biggest complaint about living here, other than the nasty sprawl, is the lack of an identity. Dallas has a mix of everything and some cool neighborhoods, but just lacks that "collective identity and soul." Key word "collective."

Old 08-12-2016, 01:36 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,186,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
You can find "Texas" in Dallas, but you will need to do some digging. My biggest complaint about living here, other than the nasty sprawl, is the lack of an identity. Dallas has a mix of everything and some cool neighborhoods, but just lacks that "collective identity and soul." Key word "collective."
It's because until relatively recently Dallas was allergic to "old." I've looked though photo books of historic Dallas and there were lovely homes and commercial buildings. Keeping and rehabbing the old though didn't show the "progress" Dallas was chasing and so too many were torn down. Just look at what happened to the Old Dr. Pepper Plant on lower Greenville. The residents of many other cities would have found a new use for the building.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:42 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,639,443 times
Fort Worth is definitely the most underrated city in Texas and the one of the most underrated in the US.

To me, its like West Texas in a big city with much more culture, diversity, etc. Its very friendly and still very big town.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:30 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,752,460 times
I prefer Dallas. More my speed.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:25 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Fort Worth is definitely the most underrated city in Texas and the one of the most underrated in the US.

To me, its like West Texas in a big city with much more culture, diversity, etc. Its very friendly and still very big town.

I agree. All five of the biggest cities in Texas have unique personalities and Fort Worth is a jewel in the crown of Texas as far as I'm concerned!

Old 08-12-2016, 05:53 PM

437 posts, read 921,345 times
Let me start by saying that I personally think Ft. Worth is a fantastic and vastly underrated city. With that being said, I'm a life-long West Texan and a lot of folks around here sort of consider everything between Weatherford and Rockwall to be "Dallas". I think we just use the term "Dallas" as a sort of shorthand term for "Dallas-Fort Worth". Also, the cities of the metroplex are so contiguous that it feels somewhat like one big city with distinct neighborhoods.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:18 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,249,924 times
Fort Worth is a big city with a very nice, modern and distinct downtown.

But it is amazing and unique the feeling I get when I enter Fort Worth from the Dallas side of the 'plex. I almost get the feeling that I've left reality and entered a time warp that rewinds me back in time to the old west. I almost feel like I've entered a world of "aliens" (no pun intented) where people are very distinct and different where a wild wild western culture exists that is worlds away from modern living, especially when approaching the Stockyards area.

The only other city that I can remember doing the "Taking me out of the reality of my modern world" feeling is Manitou Springs in Colorado, just west of Colorado Springs (a modern, fairly big city, 2nd largest in the state). Manitou Springs is filled with a bunch of red rocks in the mountains that makes it feel like you've reached a foreign land where you know nothing about the people there and they know nothing about you. It's right next door to Colorado Springs. Whenever I'd return to Colorado Springs from a short trip to Manitou Spgs, I'd always feel like I've reached solid ground again, back to normalcy. That's the feeling I get when I return to Dallas from Fort Worth.

The Houston area kind of has a city that takes you from normalcy too. It's called Galveston. But it achieves that in a different way from Fort Worth. Fort Worth has it's own unique way of doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas