Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 10:48 AM

470 posts, read 454,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Ross View Post
To the OP, don't take this as being negative. I'm just saying it's irrelevant to me. Might be of benefit to some who are geekier about weather than I. (And I am to a certain extent.)
Then leave from whence you came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 11:34 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Nope, humid tropical/subtropical climates with evenly spread rainfall are the best for greenery/sunshine (see Miami, Tampa, etc). Remember, the "dry season" is relative; winter rain totals in those Florida cities are decent, just that they pale in comparison to summer totals. Many US South cities get more rain in winter than LA does; they also get much more rain in summer. High summer rain, when combined with high enough winter totals, can completely cancel evapotranspiration's degradation on plants.

Los Angeles barely avoids being semi-arid; the Med classification comes more from the rain pattern, rather than total, anyways.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles#Climate
But LA is an extreme example. San Francisco gets a lot more rain and Seattle is the other extreme, although classified as maritime the climate is still Mediterranean in nature. Everything in Seattle is extremely green and even rocks are covered by moss. Trees in Seattle grow far taller than trees in Florida for example.

If I was obsessed with rain, I'd probably move to Portland. Portland gets heavier doses of winter rain than Seattle as Seattle is in a rain shadow. It's very lush and green but the summers are nice and dry with little humidity or rain. You may prefer that type of climate if you want greenery as the main goal.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
But LA is an extreme example. San Francisco gets a lot more rain and Seattle is the other extreme, although classified as maritime the climate is still Mediterranean in nature. Everything in Seattle is extremely green and even rocks are covered by moss. Trees in Seattle grow far taller than trees in Florida for example.
That has more to do with how poor Florida's soil is for tree growth than it has to do with climate. Sandy soils as seen in FL drain fast, and don't allow the plants to get decent moisture, before the water drains into the ground. Thus, trees are shorter than they should be.

As Florida's soils mature, you can bet that trees would get taller than in Seattle/West Coast. General plant life already grows faster in the South than on the West Coast; the hot, wet summer climate grants both the heat and moisture many plants use to maximize growth. Plants can grow in a cool, wet climate, like Seattle's, but not vigorously, robustly, nor complex. There is a reason why tropical rainforests are the most biodiverse, lush ecosystems on the planet, and not temperate rainforests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If I was obsessed with rain, I'd probably move to Portland. Portland gets heavier doses of winter rain than Seattle as Seattle is in a rain shadow. It's very lush and green but the summers are nice and dry with little humidity or rain. You may prefer that type of climate if you want greenery as the main goal.
Even the cool temps of summer on the West Coast is enough to brown up the grass, if the dryness lasts long enough. Also, dry summers are boring. Thanks, but you can keep the West Coast climate.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:58 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that I live near Tyler and everything is still green around here from all the rain we got in the fall. Lakes are full and water levels are healthy. Yes, it's hot but I expect it to be hot - it's summer in Texas. It is what it is. I'd rather deal with hot summer days than lots of rainy, overcast days much of the year, or heavy snow and ice in the winter.
As it turns out, much of Smith County is in moderate drought, so things aren't as green as they should be.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/S...onitor.aspx?TX

Old 08-12-2016, 05:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Yeah, the trees in most parts of the state are doing okay due to the extra rain we received, but in a normal year (whatever that is), with this low amount of precipitation over the past two months, things would not be looking so good. Have you ever had to rake up leaves in 100 degree weather? Not fun.

I don't want us to be the Pacific Northwest. Just a few more inches in summer and a few less in winter would be nice.
I'm fine with it, and no, I haven't had to rake leaves in the summer in all of the 25 years I've lived in Texas!

Some years are better, some years are worse but we tend to only remember the worst.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Yes, but why is that the case? Why so robbed of rain, even though so very humid?
Sigh. No one is "robbed of rain." It is what it is in Texas. If you don't like Texas weather, live somewhere else, I guess.

I don't feel robbed of anything, other than money when I pay my electric bill (A/C) for August. But it's a temporary inconvenience. The price of living in Texas - and one I'm willing to pay.

This too shall pass. Folks tend to get antsy about the heat and all that in August in Texas, but relief is just around the corner.

In fact, over the next four days, we're supposed to have rain (some heavy), thunderstorms and highs in the 80s - in fact, the LOW 80s for two of those days! Life is sweet!

Old 08-12-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
As it turns out, much of Smith County is in moderate drought, so things aren't as green as they should be.

United States Drought Monitor > Home > State Drought Monitor
Much of Smith County is in an "Abnormally Dry" condition, which is temporary and will almost certainly be resolved after the next four days of rain. And by the way, I don't live in Smith County. I live in Henderson County, which is split between "Abnormally Dry" and "Normal."

And click on the data from one year ago - we are in MUCH BETTER shape than we were this time last year, when we were in a "Moderate" drought.

As I said, the lakes and rivers are at great levels, and things look quite green around here. I mean, it's August - it's going to be drier than May. But it's not brown and dusty here, like it has been for many Augusts in the past.

Here's some info on the status of Texas reservoirs: On average they are 84 percent full. The East Texas reservoirs are over 95 percent full.
http://waterdatafortexas.org/reservo...ate/east-texas
http://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide

The Sabine River basin is doing great:
http://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/basin/sabine

So is the Neches:
http://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/basin/neches

Lake Tyler is only 1 foot below "full" level. Same with Lake Palestine and Lake Fork. Caddo Lake is only .3 feet below full level. Right - four inches.
http://www.lakelevels.info/?StateID=TX

For August in Texas, that's great!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-12-2016 at 05:51 PM..

Old 08-12-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Much of Smith County is in an "Abnormally Dry" condition, which is temporary and will almost certainly be resolved after the next four days of rain. And by the way, I don't live in Smith County. I live in Henderson County, which is split between "Abnormally Dry" and "Normal."

And click on the data from one year ago - we are in MUCH BETTER shape than we were this time last year, when we were in a "Moderate" drought.

As I said, the lakes and rivers are at great levels, and things look quite green around here. I mean, it's August - it's going to be drier than May. But it's not brown and dusty here, like it has been for many Augusts in the past.
You did say "near Tyler", so you understand why I pinpointed Smith County, which is not mostly in moderate drought, but much of it is.

Not only is this August drier than May, but, so far, it's drier than other Augusts as well. July also saw below average rainfall for much of the state. It's just a fact that we are having a dry mid-summer.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Here's some info on the status of Texas reservoirs: On average they are 84 percent full. The East Texas reservoirs are over 95 percent full.
Water Data For Texas
Water Data For Texas

The Sabine River basin is doing great:
Water Data For Texas

So is the Neches:
Water Data For Texas

Lake Tyler is only 1 foot below "full" level. Same with Lake Palestine and Lake Fork. Caddo Lake is only .3 feet below full level. Right - four inches.
Lake Levels in Texas, United States

For August in Texas, that's great!
The drought has only lasted a few weeks and has yet to reach extreme levels, so I wouldn't expect our water levels to be compromised. I'm glad the rivers, bayous, and reservoirs are doing good. The trees aren't all that happy, though.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Sigh. No one is "robbed of rain." It is what it is in Texas. If you don't like Texas weather, live somewhere else, I guess.
Yes, it is a robbery, to see so much humidity, but little rain out of it.

Quote:
I don't feel robbed of anything, other than money when I pay my electric bill (A/C) for August. But it's a temporary inconvenience. The price of living in Texas - and one I'm willing to pay.

This too shall pass. Folks tend to get antsy about the heat and all that in August in Texas, but relief is just around the corner.

In fact, over the next four days, we're supposed to have rain (some heavy), thunderstorms and highs in the 80s - in fact, the LOW 80s for two of those days! Life is sweet!
The problem is, rain should be happening all summer long in much of Texas, given a position RIGHT NEXT to the Gulf. There shouldn't be these long waits for rain. Austin, San Antonio, etc should have a summer climate like, say, Sumter, SC, not this drought-filled nonsense.

With that said, I looked into the atmospheric changes that happen over the US from June to July; starting around July, typically sets up in the "Four Corners," around the Southern Rockies. I believe in recent years, the cell was pushed farther east than usual, causing the subsidence to afflict Texas more. Basically, Texas just has had bad luck, and conditions are normally much, much wetter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas