Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 05:51 PM

470 posts, read 454,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Epic crap. I would HATE to live somewhere like that. It's already too damn hot here for a long time. I love Texas in fall, winter and spring, can tolerate it in summer if somewhere further west or out in a pool, but that place is just too warm year round and too much rain in summer. If you wanna live in India, go ahead. I'm happy with what I got in Texas. Everywhere's a trade off. My ideal place to live in is Minnesota. The winters there are brutal though I prefer it to the brutal summer here, but Texas isn't too bad either. You wanna live in an outdoor shower, with humidity and water pouring down on you, go ahead. I love rain and wish we got a bit more but your argument is ridiculous. I'd rather have little rain in summer, but then great cool weather in fall and no more heat until May.
Believe me, if Texas had that kind of climate, 100F days would be a thing of the past, essentially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 06:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
I don't mean a "day-long" storm every day of the summer. I just mean that each day in summer should have a storm going on; if not an epic, widespread storm, then at least scattered, "pop-up" storms/showers. These long dry periods from HP, if they have to happen, should occur during the late fall-early spring time period.

This is an epic climate, exactly how Texas should be:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa#Climate
You just can't let this go. If you want that climate, move to wherever that is and you can have it. Easy peasy.

Texas is not going to change it's climate to suit you. Sorry.

And I don't want storms every day. So maybe my vote cancels out yours, who knows! NO COSMIC FORCES ARE LISTENING TO OUR OPINIONS ON THIS.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynaragon View Post
you just can't let this go. If you want that climate, move to wherever that is and you can have it. Easy peasy.

And i don't want storms every day. So maybe my vote cancels out yours, who knows! No cosmic forces are listening to our opinions on this.
ok.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:43 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Believe me, if Texas had that kind of climate, 100F days would be a thing of the past, essentially.

I never asked for 100 degree days to be a thing of the past. I'll put up with several 100+ days as long as we get great weather the rest of the year, which we generally do. I wouldn't want the max to be 90 but the min to be like, 70. That sucks even more.

Likewise in Minneapolis, I'd put up with several below zero days, because I know the rest of the year will be great. As much as I hate it being 100 degrees, I could deal with it cuz I know it will get colder months later, considerably colder too. That's how I like it, with SEASONS. I have zero interest to return to a tropical "paradise" like Miami. Hell, I don't even mind it reaching 100 each year if it was like a few days only. It's exciting to experience extremes. I'd hate to live somewhere so hot and muggy again. 3 months of that crap is my threshold.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfilms View Post
i never asked for 100 degree days to be a thing of the past. I'll put up with several 100+ days as long as we get great weather the rest of the year, which we generally do. I wouldn't want the max to be 90 but the min to be like, 70. That sucks even more.

Likewise in minneapolis, i'd put up with several below zero days, because i know the rest of the year will be great. As much as i hate it being 100 degrees, i could deal with it cuz i know it will get colder months later, considerably colder too. That's how i like it, with seasons. I have zero interest to return to a tropical "paradise" like miami. Hell, i don't even mind it reaching 100 each year if it was like a few days only. It's exciting to experience extremes. I'd hate to live somewhere so hot and muggy again. 3 months of that crap is my threshold.
ok.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:23 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You just can't let this go. If you want that climate, move to wherever that is and you can have it. Easy peasy.

And I don't want storms every day. So maybe my vote cancels out yours, who knows! NO COSMIC FORCES ARE LISTENING TO OUR OPINIONS ON THIS.
Louisiana has some great weather for viral to enjoy right now

Old 08-14-2016, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I never asked for 100 degree days to be a thing of the past. I'll put up with several 100+ days as long as we get great weather the rest of the year, which we generally do. I wouldn't want the max to be 90 but the min to be like, 70. That sucks even more.

Likewise in Minneapolis, I'd put up with several below zero days, because I know the rest of the year will be great. As much as I hate it being 100 degrees, I could deal with it cuz I know it will get colder months later, considerably colder too. That's how I like it, with SEASONS. I have zero interest to return to a tropical "paradise" like Miami. Hell, I don't even mind it reaching 100 each year if it was like a few days only. It's exciting to experience extremes. I'd hate to live somewhere so hot and muggy again. 3 months of that crap is my threshold.
I know what you mean.

My daughter and her family just moved back from Guam. Guess what the highs and lows were - EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR? High of 88, low of 78. Sometimes the high would only be 84 and the low 74. That was winter. They had a dry season and a wet season but the temps basically stayed the same. And even in the "dry" season, it would usually rain a bit in the afternoon. So it rained nearly every day.

After three years she was about to go crazy wanting some SEASONS. Then they got stationed in Ohio - land of seasons! She is beside herself with joy and can't wait to see snow and to wear a coat! LOL

Old 08-14-2016, 07:58 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
VIRAL,

To be truthful, you know what is an epic fail about the SE climate? The winter. For a humid subtropical climate it shouldn't get down to 0 degrees as a record low even into central Florida, which it has. It is too variable and doesn't really fit the moniker.

What is a pathetic epic fail is that Seattle, much further north than the Southeast, is far greener in the winter than Austin or even New Orleans is.

Another epic fail is the whole eastern seaboard climate. Way too arctic in winter and way too hot and humid in summer. DC and NYC shouldn't have to put up with humidity that is equivalent to New Orleans but it happens every year. Epic fail.

Another fail is eastern Canada's climate. The tree line goes really far south into Quebec but it almost stretches to the Arctic circle in western Canada. It's such an epic fail that in northern Quebec they are dealing with tundra but a thousand miles west it's boreal forest.

The fall is an epic fail in the desert Southwest and even California. I mean, Los Angeles gets its hottest weather with the Santa Ana winds in October. It can be 75 all summer but then 105 in October. Then Phoenix can get 110+ degree weather in September. Another epic fail.

Wow, why don't we just build a dome over the whole world, climate control it to 72 degrees and have sprinklers that rain down at midnight for 30 minutes.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Louisiana has some great weather for viral to enjoy right now
Indeed it does. So does Texas right now, for the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
VIRAL,
I don't disagree with the many ways a climate can lose desirability. However, all of it is besides the point of this thread:

Quote:
To be truthful, you know what is an epic fail about the SE climate? The winter. For a humid subtropical climate it shouldn't get down to 0 degrees as a record low even into central Florida, which it has. It is too variable and doesn't really fit the moniker.

What is a pathetic epic fail is that Seattle, much further north than the Southeast, is far greener in the winter than Austin or even New Orleans is.
Winter in the US South are indeed quite variable, but the variation stays steady enough for great cultivation of many basic subtropical/tropical plants (date palms, citrus, etc), particularly in the coastal areas.

As far as getting down to 0 degrees in Central Florida, I will assume that you are using Celsius. In that case, although those temps happen some winter mornings (only for like 1-2hrs tops), afternoon temps almost always can rebound into the 50s, 60s, or even 70s. On top of that, the humid, rainy summers allow plants, in general, to grow well and fast, so they are established enough to ride out the occasional chills that happen in winter.

Seattle is "greener" than Austin and New Orleans during winter the same way the taiga is "greener" than both during winter; that is, Seattle is only green because all its tree species are conifers, basically "Christmas trees," which evoke quite a "northern," wintry feel. Austin and New Orleans both have greater amounts of evergreens, both in count, and variety, and said evergreens don't evoke the wintry feel as seen in the PNW; both cities, unlike the PNW, have many broadleaf evergreens, as well as southern conifers (pines), which evoke warm, year-round climates. It's just that both cities also happen to have deciduous trees (which are relics from the last Ice Age).

The detriments of winter variability in the South, thus, end up being too minimized to matter much, in the grand scheme of things.

Quote:
Another epic fail is the whole eastern seaboard climate. Way too arctic in winter and way too hot and humid in summer. DC and NYC shouldn't have to put up with humidity that is equivalent to New Orleans but it happens every year. Epic fail.

Another fail is eastern Canada's climate. The tree line goes really far south into Quebec but it almost stretches to the Arctic circle in western Canada. It's such an epic fail that in northern Quebec they are dealing with tundra but a thousand miles west it's boreal forest.
I don't disagree. But, it can be said that the length of heat/humid periods up north is less than that seen in the South. Both the Northeast and Canada are too cold for me in winter, so it doesn't matter.

Quote:
The fall is an epic fail in the desert Southwest and even California. I mean, Los Angeles gets its hottest weather with the Santa Ana winds in October. It can be 75 all summer but then 105 in October. Then Phoenix can get 110+ degree weather in September. Another epic fail.
The West is too hot, dry, and arid to be worth my time, and the parts that aren't arid/dry are just too gloomy, with atrocious rainfall patterns (winter rain, instead of summer rain).

Old 08-14-2016, 11:35 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
So......what are you going to do about it?

This is the dumbest thread ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas