Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 09:36 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,314,385 times

Advertisements

It is not often that I read things about Texas, but quite some time ago I read the article that Waggoner ranch was for sale...........I read about it, looked up some of its history, read some items on clearing of lands for setllement back in 19th century.......I know Texas is not that old a state 1845.........

Does anyone know history of the area before it became Texas?

The article see LA Rams owner Stan Kroenke tells hundreds of residents in Texas to get off his land* | Daily Mail Online

What happens to all the people that have to move?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 10:38 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,906,520 times
Comanches and other Native Americans ruled the area for four hundred years; before the tribes getting the horse the area was basically uninhabited.

(The current residents will move when their leases are up.)

Old 08-15-2016, 08:59 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Comanches and other Native Americans ruled the area for four hundred years; before the tribes getting the horse the area was basically uninhabited.

(The current residents will move when their leases are up.)
The folks who built houses on the leased land will have to move when their leases are up. They will just move somewhere else. Some might even be able to have their houses moved to a new location. Those who can't move them are just out of luck. They had to know from the beginning it wasn't their land, so it's difficult to feel sorry for them. I can imagine that many of those lake houses are just weekend vacation places for Dallas & Fort Worth residents.

Kroenke also owns the Arsenal football club, if I'm not mistaken.

Where he is stepping on a lot of toes is firing some of the cowboys who have worked on the ranch for many years, just to bring in cheaper foreign labor.

Makes me wish one of the Texas billionaires had bought the ranch, but at least it didn't go to a Russian, Chinese, or Saudi buyer. Same sentiment as when the Germans wound up owning Rolls Royce, or Harrods going to Fayed. It just wouldn't seem right.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:22 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Stan Kroenke didn't get where he did by being a nice guy. He has a reputation for being a tough person to deal with in business. Of course, he was also helped in this regard by the fact that he's married to a Walton, which might have served as a springboard of sorts, but he's definitely turned all that into an empire on his own. We lived in Columbia, MO (where he's from and still resides) so he and the entire family are obviously pretty well known and oft discussed there.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:06 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,199 times
A land lease can come back to bite you, usually when the ownership changes hands. People built homes on the promise that they would be able to live there forever.

Lake Diversion Residents Are Being Forced to Leave - Story

Old 08-16-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Stan Kroenke didn't get where he did by being a nice guy. He has a reputation for being a tough person to deal with in business. Of course, he was also helped in this regard by the fact that he's married to a Walton, which might have served as a springboard of sorts, but he's definitely turned all that into an empire on his own. We lived in Columbia, MO (where he's from and still resides) so he and the entire family are obviously pretty well known and oft discussed there.
My Dad - MU - Class of 1933.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:03 AM

455 posts, read 463,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
A land lease can come back to bite you, usually when the ownership changes hands. People built homes on the promise that they would be able to live there forever.

Lake Diversion Residents Are Being Forced to Leave - Story
There is no promise they can live anywhere on land or in a house they don't own. There are only the terms of the lease. The problem here is that some are too poor to own and cannot afford to move.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:48 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Ross View Post
There is no promise they can live anywhere on land or in a house they don't own. There are only the terms of the lease. The problem here is that some are too poor to own and cannot afford to move.
Thanks, I realize that. That was my point: They received verbal assurances that they would be able to live there forever, and that is what they relied on when they built their abodes.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:18 PM

Guess they thought such a great historic ranch would never be sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas