Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:05 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times

Advertisements

Hello, All. I am writing to you from Oklahoma, but my wife and I were both born in Texas (Austin and Ft. Worth.)

We have lived all over the USA and traveled outside the country and continent a little. However, we've spent more time in Oklahoma than anywhere else.

We seem to get itchy feet to switch jobs and move about every three years, and that time has come again.

We had a plan to relocate to gulf coast Florida, but with some of the issues they are having with water supply, we are re-thinking that.

I spent a lot of time in Galveston and Corpus Christi as a kid, late 70s to late 80s, but I know nothing about what they are like now.

We would very much like to live near the coast, near the ocean. Kind of hard to do in Oklahoma, and one reason we were looking at Florida.

It would be me, my wife and my teenage daughter. We have another daughter who's already out of the nest, but she may relocate as well. We are fun loving people, but not major partiers. We are pretty much apolitical and irreligious, but we respect everyone's beliefs and have lots of friends with very different ideologies than ours. We try to be open minded and open hearted. My kids are done with school, so that's not a big issue.

We will not be looking to buy. In fact, we hope to someday be able to get into a nice heavy duty truck pulling a good sized travel trailer, making it easier to accommodate our nomadic lifestyle.

But we will likely need to find a rental situation wherever we go...inexpensive apartment most likely.

At any rate (now that you know my life story!) I am curious about the Texas gulf coast. we still have friends and family in the state, and still have a lot of Texas in us as well.

There are many towns and regions in Texas I think we'd enjoy, but we really do have that pull to be near the beach.

Incidentally, we don't necessarily want to move to the biggest towns on the coast, but we'd probably be happier in a mid-sized town...not too huge and trafficky, but not a tiny bump in the road with no amenities either.

Can anyone suggest any towns on the gulf? Would love to hear from anyone with knowledge and experience along the coast there.

I very much appreciate any input, ideas, thoughts, advice, etc.

Thanks in advance. Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:18 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Jobs? Do you have them or will you need them?

I like Corpus.

It's a small city/big town with lots of amenities. Plus, less than 20 minutes from nice beaches. Corpus is over 50% Hispanic & over 50% working class. (which is OK with me, but others might prefer a town with more Starbucks and Whole Foods locations in them).

Can't swing a dead cat in that town without finding a good place to:
- eat Tex-Mex.
- eat Seafood
- or have a conversation with nice people.

Good luck.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:56 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
Corpus is nice. Honestly, it hasn't changed much from the 70's and 80's aside from a little bit of growth. So if you liked it back then, chances are you will like it now.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:04 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
yeah corpus up towards the port a and rockport area are nice.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:43 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
I agree that Corpus would be a good choice.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:07 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
I like Corpus, too. Also I live near Galveston. Now that is a mixed bag.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:05 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
What issues is the Panhandle of Florida having with water supply? I believe the water issues are only in South Florida.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:46 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
If Corpus were too big a town for you, i'd second the notion of checking out Rockport. It seems to draw a fair number of fishermen and retirees, plus 2nd homes for some. That makes me think it might be a bit more expensive than your typical Texas coastal town, but probably nicer than most and -- perhaps -- cheaper than places like Corpus or Galveston.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:54 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
If Corpus were too big a town for you, i'd second the notion of checking out Rockport. It seems to draw a fair number of fishermen and retirees, plus 2nd homes for some. That makes me think it might be a bit more expensive than your typical Texas coastal town, but probably nicer than most and -- perhaps -- cheaper than places like Corpus or Galveston.
Rockport is real nice.Its a kool town.I know from personal experience.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:39 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
The Rockport/Fulton area on Aransas Bay is the prettiest part of the Texas coast and a very nice community. We kept our sailboat there for 3 years and still go back about once a year for a little vacation in the area.

My second choice would probably be Corpus Christi, but then you are getting into a large sprawling city with a lot more traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas