Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:25 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,210,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
The nature and the trail system they have there, every single time we go there it is really well done, the nature is well taken care of, along the trail and everything is just done really well. The trails are some of the best I have seen in the nation. The nature is just amazing, everything is just gorgeous along the trails. Now I can only speak for SA and Austin, but I would choose SA trails over Austins any day of the week. Austin doesn't seem to really take care of anything. Other than that I can't speak on other cities.
I live in SA and I have to agree -- the parks and hike-and-bike trails that have been built in recent years along the river are spectacular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 04:30 PM

124 posts, read 121,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I live in SA and I have to agree -- the parks and hike-and-bike trails that have been built in recent years along the river are spectacular.
I honestly don't see anything else like that in the entire country.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:15 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,103,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
I'm more certain every time I visit SA, that SA is 100 times better than Austin. I'm surprised this city has economic problems and why people wouldn't want to move there is beyond me. It's absolutely gorgeous.
The national image and reputation of the Texas cities outside of Austin are way outdated, so that's a big reason why.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:10 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,210,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
The national image and reputation of the Texas cities outside of Austin are way outdated, so that's a big reason why.
Yes, plus Austin has always been very good at self-promotion.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:44 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,077,169 times
Quote:
Sad, but true. I told my wife the other day that DFW is actually growing way faster than Austin now (and quickly becoming more expensive too), but folks who live outside DFW wouldn't know it, because it's not constantly promoted as being super popular, hip, and trendy like Austin is.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:07 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,484,690 times
Quote:
People out of state have the image of Austin as the hip cool place to live, and every other city in Texas as a conservative backwater.

Even foreign people I've met always mention wanting to visit Austin if they come to the state.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:46 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,606,255 times
I lived in San Antonio for ten years when I realized in terms of career I was spinning my wheels and getting nowhere. I have a very specialized career that tends to cluster in certain areas, and San Antonio was not that certain area, so I moved to Austin and my career has certainly taken off and skyrocketed. Having said that, I am simply here to work and advance my career, and basically ignore everything going on around me in Austin. However, I have been thinking of moving on to a more rural area in a few years because I am getting too old for a lot of hoopla all the time here.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,155,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
In much of Texas, speaking Spanish is definitely an advantage, but that's true of most major American cities, today. It sounded as if you were singling out SA, where Spanish is probably of less use than it is in Houston.

The Tejanos in SA are heavily Americanized. You'll meet a lot of the younger ones that may even know less Spanish than you do.
I've spent a lot of time in SA and I don't know anyone who lives there who speaks Spanish fluently. And I know a LOT of people down there. I don't know a single Hispanic person from SA who speaks Spanish.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,155,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
You've got to get out then lol

Or just actually "live in" all the cities

You will be able to tell a difference in personalities if you lived in them

Yes most of us native Texans are the same... But there's probably the least natives in Dallas actually lol
I'm a Dallas native. Born at Baylor (the one next to downtown Dallas).

Dallas's personality can best be described as "douche squared."

Old 12-05-2016, 01:58 PM

677 posts, read 650,278 times
Lol, that OP is a lot of ****. I have lived in both. Austin isn't half as bad as described, it's an amazing place, and it's the only city is Texas I would choose to live in. That said, if for some reason I HAD to leave, San Antonio is the next best Texas city for sure. But you have to realize that not everyone is looking for the same thing in a city that you are. Austin is a great place, and has been plenty friendly and welcoming to me since I moved here.

And on your point about BBQ? You are absolutely crazy, straight up. It's not even up for debate. The best BBQ in the country is pretty much here in Austin. And although Franklin's 4-5 hour wait, and LA BBQ's 2 hour wait may not be for everybody there are other amazing, top spots that you can walk right in and get a plate.

Zagat's 34 best BBQ spots in Texas https://www.zagat.com/b/best-barbecue-joints-in-texas: 6 in Austin proper, 10 in greater Austin area

I can pull any of a dozen other ratings that would say the same thing, not to mention I could pull all of the individual awards for Franklin's as the best bbq on the planet (actually their brisket is the best brisket on the planet, but we have a few places in Austin that may be better all around BBQ joints).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas