Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 06:36 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I don't know if it's like that everywhere in Fort Worth though outside of my bubble. I would assume though that it's overall more welcoming than Waco outside of conservative religious schools and some of the churches. TCU doesn't dominate Fort Worth though like Baylor does Waco and the church TCU is affiliated with (Disciples of Christ) is much more liberal and progressive.
By a wide margin, it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 11:09 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
I'm a former teacher at a big Waco public HS. So my perspective is pretty youth-oriented. But in the 10 years that i taught I saw kids grow increasingly open and out with what seemed like very little issues, although I of course don't know what goes on in secret and social media. The popular kids were popular whether they were gay or straight, the not so popular kids were mostly just left alone and ignored. It was HS. But every year I did have a handful of openly gay students, both boys and girls. And most recently transgender students.

I also had a couple of students over the years from lesbian households. Two moms would show up for parent night, etc.

That said, I don't know to what extent this is just people going about their lives in a typical small southern city as opposed to Waco actually having a gay community of some sort. There is most definitely NOT any kind of overt gay singles scene like you would find in larger cities or more liberal college towns of similar size like Boulder or Eugene.

Bottom line? I you just want to be left alone and live your life then Waco will probably provide that like most anyplace else. It is large enough to have some diversity. However if you are looking for a larger supportive community of like individuals then larger cities like Austin or Houston will provide more of that, as will more progressive small cities like Boulder, Eugene, Madison, etc.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:06 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times
I would not do this .
I was born and raised in that hole and ALL of my friends who are gay have left ( that I grew up with and that includes 2 first cousins) . We are all in our 50's now . I am a straight person but I saw how hard it was for them . One of my cousins said there was simply nothing there for him . They do have one Drag club that is starting back after most of the old clubs regs went to a place in Gun Barrel city where apparently there is a thriving gay community . Not sure how well the new club will do yet . It stays pretty hidden . I know you are not into the club scene but ONE place to be yourself in the entire city says something.
The few gay couples I know that stayed and remain "roommates" to the public . They are only out in private or with other gay friends- in private or it's a "Girls Night Out" sort of look they try to maintain. If you have to stay in Texas then yes I would recommend Austin, Houston or Dallas any day of the week .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 01-04-2017 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-04-2017, 09:43 PM

716 posts, read 539,193 times
i resent the fact that you people feel compelled to call someone who does not agree with the life style homophobic - when the fact is we have rights too and some choose to live in a area with people that have the same beliefs - just like the Scouts - you have to attack them for their beliefs - it unjust to same people of a religious belief or personnel belief to have to be completed to see and be around that lifestyle - there are plenty of places - where the life style is accepted and even appreciated - but i will not just sit back while you attack me for my beliefs and that when i don't agree you call me racist or any of the other names you choose -

I find it ironic that you can not accept our lifestyle and our god given beliefs and want to force us to accept or tolerate your life style and when we say something or stand up to your values - why can't you accept the fact that there a people who don't want to see- accept - watch or be around that lifestyle?

But no when someone like me say something we are attacked and called names - and you don't even know us -

Waco is conservative - its religious - and you might say old fashion - thats our right - we choose to live there so if your not comfortable with that then in lieu of name calling and protest go where you are welcomed - Austin, West Hollywood, San Diego - Palm Springs, NYC and let us live with our beliefs - you are not the only ones with rights -

Old 01-05-2017, 12:32 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
i resent the fact that you people feel compelled to call someone who does not agree with the life style homophobic - when the fact is we have rights too and some choose to live in a area with people that have the same beliefs - just like the Scouts - you have to attack them for their beliefs - it unjust to same people of a religious belief or personnel belief to have to be completed to see and be around that lifestyle - there are plenty of places - where the life style is accepted and even appreciated - but i will not just sit back while you attack me for my beliefs and that when i don't agree you call me racist or any of the other names you choose -

I find it ironic that you can not accept our lifestyle and our god given beliefs and want to force us to accept or tolerate your life style and when we say something or stand up to your values - why can't you accept the fact that there a people who don't want to see- accept - watch or be around that lifestyle?

But no when someone like me say something we are attacked and called names - and you don't even know us -

Waco is conservative - its religious - and you might say old fashion - thats our right - we choose to live there so if your not comfortable with that then in lieu of name calling and protest go where you are welcomed - Austin, West Hollywood, San Diego - Palm Springs, NYC and let us live with our beliefs - you are not the only ones with rights -
Yeah, the OP should pass on Waco. Chances are good nobody would ever actually say anything to you, but who needs neighbors like this?

Please do consider San Antonio! It's right up there with the other big Texas cities in terms of gay-friendliness.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:30 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Yeah, the OP should pass on Waco. Chances are good nobody would ever actually say anything to you, but who needs neighbors like this?

Please do consider San Antonio! It's right up there with the other big Texas cities in terms of gay-friendliness.
I agree, yikes to that poster! It would be like a black person living in a neighborhood of white nationalists. After decades of scientific research, it's been concluded that people don't choose their sexual orientation!

Old 01-05-2017, 06:42 PM

716 posts, read 539,193 times
you two made my - name calling for my beliefs and you feel i should or others like MUST accept others lifestyle - but you won't accept mine - so easy with libs - quick to criticize and name call - only when you don't agree with them.

Being gay is not the issue - the issue is why should gays want to live, flaunt and show off to others when they know the substantial majority does not agree with that life? Yes you have rights - but you should know clearly that Waco is conservative and is right in the middle of the religious belt of Texas - and that you will be a outsider - why not live where others will embrace that life style?

i would bet 99% of Waco would not say anything to gays - out of common courtesy - but don't expect to be welcomed to our neighbor hoods, churches, gathering places when we clearly do not agree with that lifer style - thats our right too - and i for one will not allow you to label me or my family a racist or homophobe for my beliefs- this is still America

Old 01-05-2017, 06:54 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Quote:
... don't expect to be welcomed to our neighbor hoods, churches, gathering places when we clearly do not agree with that lifer style - thats our right too - and i for one will not allow you to label me or my family a racist or homophobe for my beliefs- this is still America
We're talking about two people with a child looking find a new home, work, and raise a family. Can you tell us specifically how you would make them feel unwelcome so we can decide for ourselves whether you are a homophobe? For example, if they show up at your church, will you spit in their face? Call them names? Slash their tires? Or just give them the cold shoulder and refuse to let your kids play with theirs? Boycott church dinners if they attend? Why not provide some tangible examples of the reception they can expect to receive so they can decide for themselves?

Old 01-05-2017, 09:24 PM

570 posts, read 559,540 times
See that's the problem, why do people care so much about other people? People these days are so quick to judge because their lifestyle is different. Who cares?

Old 01-05-2017, 10:17 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
Quote:
you two made my - name calling for my beliefs and you feel i should or others like MUST accept others lifestyle - but you won't accept mine - so easy with libs - quick to criticize and name call - only when you don't agree with them.

Being gay is not the issue - the issue is why should gays want to live, flaunt and show off to others when they know the substantial majority does not agree with that life? Yes you have rights - but you should know clearly that Waco is conservative and is right in the middle of the religious belt of Texas - and that you will be a outsider - why not live where others will embrace that life style?

i would bet 99% of Waco would not say anything to gays - out of common courtesy - but don't expect to be welcomed to our neighbor hoods, churches, gathering places when we clearly do not agree with that lifer style - thats our right too - and i for one will not allow you to label me or my family a racist or homophobe for my beliefs- this is still America
Replace "gay" with "black" and see how that sounds. I highly doubt they would attend your church though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas