Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 10:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Why would you expect to find a landlord that doesn't factor in all of their costs? Maintenance, repairs and taxes are all part of the landlord's costs and it seems reasonable they should be covered by the rent.
seems reasonable.... but renters are not too reasonable about accepting the huge annual expenses that my crop up for land owners. Insurance and taxes can exceed 20%/ yr, and often do not get passed along to that extent.

Anything over 5% bring tears to my tenants.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:36 AM

976 posts, read 1,055,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour_Butts View Post
H'ton,

Regarding preferring to rent due to property taxes being high:

Where do you find landlords who don't factor property taxes into the amount they charge for rent? I gotta find one.
Oh, they do but as a consumer you can determine the amount of rent you want to pay for your term.
You aren't paying $xxx/month + an additional amount for the appraised value of your home...it's already factored in and I imagine it's lower for multi family than single family.

One poster was telling us that their home increased in value by about 100k in a short amount of time.

If your landlord raises your rent you can always move and find something that fits within your budget...increased property taxes on increased value is something that is more messy to get out of (sale of home, closing costs, etc.)

Old 11-08-2016, 12:03 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour_Butts View Post
H'ton,

Regarding preferring to rent due to property taxes being high:

Where do you find landlords who don't factor property taxes into the amount they charge for rent? I gotta find one.

Landlords charge what the market will allow not what their costs are

Old 11-08-2016, 12:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Landlords charge what the market will allow not what their costs are
AND with consideration to our tenants. I prefer to keep good tenants (7-10 yrs) and I eat a lot of increased costs (taxes). I am not alone. Some people are unable to cough up more dough just because the county / schools need more money. I usually share my tax, utility, and insurance statements with tenants to show annual change. I consider tenants AND county and Schools as partners that benefit from my investment dollars. (I homeschooled, but all my tenants choose to use the public schools, we all drive on the roads, and appreciate EMS, police, libraries,,,)

Old 11-08-2016, 09:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Hold up - please don't tell me that landlords in general are willing to take a loss or break even in their business. I know that's not true.

Landlords in general are in the business to make money - and that's OK.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hold up - please don't tell me that landlords in general are willing to take a loss or break even in their business. I know that's not true.

Landlords in general are in the business to make money - and that's OK.

While they are generally in business to make money they can't price rents based on their cost. The rental market will dictate pricing and it doesn't care what your personal cost are.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
While they are generally in business to make money they can't price rents based on their cost. The rental market will dictate pricing and it doesn't care what your personal cost are.
Landlords make money. If it's not profitable to them, they do not stay in the business. Landlords pass on the costs of owning and maintaining property to their renters and their profit is on top of that. Property taxes are part of the cost of owning and managing rental property.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:31 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Landlords make money. If it's not profitable to them, they do not stay in the business. Landlords pass on the costs of owning and maintaining property to their renters and their profit is on top of that. Property taxes are part of the cost of owning and managing rental property.
There are many times when rental properties can have negative cash flow. A landlord writes off the losses, as much as possible, and counts on long-term appreciation and a return to a profitable market.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Landlords make money. If it's not profitable to them, they do not stay in the business.
Well that's certainly not true however we weren't discussing if landlords stay in the business

Quote:
Landlords pass on the costs of owning and maintaining property to their renters and their profit is on top of that.
This is simply not true. It's certainly isn't how the rental market prices what rents the market will allow

Quote:
Property taxes are part of the cost of owning and managing rental property.
This is true but doesn't change the fact that the market dictates rental rates

Old 11-09-2016, 11:02 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

The only way to truly know the tax on a house is to go to the County Appraisal District web page, and put in the address of a house. It will show you the assessed property value, and the annual taxes. Trulia, Zillow, and any other real estate site is just guessing at taxes. There's no way the taxes on a $149k house are $5000 annually!
It can be even above $5000 easily if you live in Houston area.
My tax rate is 3.5% with mud tax and some newer communities have even 3.8% tax rates. However I just saw pretty nice house not too far from me, but in a countryside, with 2.2% tax rate. That's not too bad.
But definitely a lot higher compared to TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas