Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 08:15 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times

Advertisements

Not to mention, some of the consequences of all the liberal pie-in-the-sky ideas have yet to come home to roost. As they do, some might start to realize that all the "neat programs" and "ideas" cost more than they're really worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 08:48 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I don't really see the legal/illegal pot question as liberal/conservative, or at least not for very long. The biggest opponent to legalization is older (71+ years old) citizens and conservative republicans (although there is a lot of overlap between those two groups). Younger republicans tend to be either in favor of legalization or not staunchly opposed. Presumably, time will change all that eventually.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:11 AM

Actually, many of the older ones aren't against it, either. Key issue for most is that how to determine if someone is operating under the influence. Because you are NOT going to have full control of your motor skills.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:14 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Actually, many of the older ones aren't against it, either. Key issue for most is that how to determine if someone is operating under the influence. Because you are NOT going to have full control of your motor skills.
Just basing that on the surveys of who is for or against it. Each demographic (age, gender, party affiliation, etc) has people that are for or against it. The people surveyed that were over 70 were, by far, the most inclined to be against it.

Why they are against it is not listed, but I suspect the main reasons are 1) it has been drilled into their head for their entire lives that it is bad and 2) it will result in dangerous behavior (on the road or otherwise).

Old 11-16-2016, 02:06 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
I think the age old mistake has been made again in central Texas. Austin, IS NOT Texas. It is in Texas, but it is by no stretch of the imagination representative of Texas. Texas WILL turn blue in the future, barring unforeseen national social changes brought about by a charismatic public figure giving credence to extremist views *cough*. But the future is long long way off, possibly more than one lifetimes worth of years. To say Texas is going to turn blue in the near future is beyond optimistic.
Texas doesn't have to turn blue for this to pass it just really has to pickup momentum. As for the state turning blue it will happen as you say unless something drastically changes. Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin are there already now will it take 10-30 years for the state to turn? Who knows

Old 11-16-2016, 07:11 PM

1,098 posts, read 900,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Texas doesn't have to turn blue for this to pass it just really has to pickup momentum. As for the state turning blue it will happen as you say unless something drastically changes. Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin are there already now will it take 10-30 years for the state to turn? Who knows
Hopefully the Republican party will progress or something else like the Green or Libertarian will take it's place. I'm not ready for a one party system and I don't think America is either based on the recent election. But I agree, I don't think Texas necessarily has to turn blue before pot is legalized.

Last edited by Jame22; 11-16-2016 at 07:22 PM..

Old 11-16-2016, 08:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
But I agree, I don't think Texas necessarily has to turn blue before pot is legalized.
It's going to have to elect a new governor. Even if a legalization bill made it to his desk, this one won't sign it. And it's unlikely the legislature would override his veto.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:34 PM

And BTW - the ATF just released a new form 4473.....might want to read it BEFORE using any marijuana because it's been decriminalized in your locale.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:19 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
And BTW - the ATF just released a new form 4473.....might want to read it BEFORE using any marijuana because it's been decriminalized in your locale.
What's up with your obsession about form 4473?

Hopefully you understand that tens of thousands of Texas firearm owners currently use cannabis even after filling out form 4473.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
What's up with your obsession about form 4473?

Hopefully you understand that tens of thousands of Texas firearm owners currently use cannabis even after filling out form 4473.
Because providing false information on that form is a felony - one that can cost you your gun rights. As I said before - it's up to each individual, but I just want folks to be thinking about all the possible consequences. This isn't a misdemeanor type of offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas