Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 05:25 PM

254 posts, read 191,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
They need to be able to make a profit by selling the oil for more than it cost to drill and produce.
Thanks! LOL. I just noted down this basic princple with crayons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 06:24 PM

26 posts, read 59,333 times
Yep. Still an oversupply and it will be a LONNNNNG time before demand catches up. This big discovery is cool but really what does it mean? As long as oil stays down there isn't gonna be a jobs rebound ANY time soon. Like YEARS.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:19 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Grill View Post
Yep. Still an oversupply and it will be a LONNNNNG time before demand catches up. This big discovery is cool but really what does it mean? As long as oil stays down there isn't gonna be a jobs rebound ANY time soon. Like YEARS.
That's why the discovery doesn't excite me at all.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
I am challenging this accepted notion. I've always thought it paradoxical how secondary aftermarket parts built for vehicles are not only cheaper than the original parts, but superior.
LOL that hasn't been my experience either!

Old 12-24-2016, 07:36 AM

And the price of oil is now over $50 a barrel, and hiring is back in full swing. WOOHOO!

Old 12-24-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And the price of oil is now over $50 a barrel, and hiring is back in full swing. WOOHOO!
I heard about the price of oil rising, but not hiring. Texans are tenacious though. General Robert E. Lee once made the back handed comment about us that the Texans always move the line.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:08 PM

570 posts, read 559,617 times
Halliburton is hiring out in Midland from what I've been reading. Although it is a good thing that O/G companies like Halliburton are hiring off slowly rather than quickly. If oil prices suddenly skyrocket then you can predict a bust in the near future, if oil climbs gradually then a bust wouldn't be as economically bad.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
I heard about the price of oil rising, but not hiring. Texans are tenacious though. General Robert E. Lee once made the back handed comment about us that the Texans always move the line.
Halliburton started rehiring months ago. The company my husband works for is hiring. Consultants are being called back to work. Things are picking up right here in Texas.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Halliburton started rehiring months ago. The company my husband works for is hiring. Consultants are being called back to work. Things are picking up right here in Texas.
And isn't that amazing? Wasn't the cut off cost of a barrel of oil beforehand predicted to be sixty dollars before companies would stop drilling? What we see happening today is better efficiency with both companies cutting costs and employees willing to work for less.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:30 AM

What we see is the price of oil and gas creeping back up to levels that allow companies to make a profit, and therefore companies which cut their staff to the very bone are hiring again.

My husband was offered a job (vs being an independent consultant) about two years ago, right before the crash in oil and gas prices. Since then, the market plummeted. He was thankfully able to continue working as a consultant, but his day rate was slightly cut. Not hugely cut but slightly cut, by about ten percent I think.

Anyway, the company came back at him again a few weeks ago and offered him a job again. He expected the offer to be a lot lower due to the crash in the undustry. When he got the new offer, it was for the same amount of money and the same benefits as the offer two years ago. In fact, I think the base salary was actually slightly up from two years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas