U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:47 AM

10 posts, read 49,677 times

Advertisements

Has anyone in Texas ever been to Cape Town? Just wondering how it compares....

Interested in which city in Texas would most resemble that of Cape TOwn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 AM

5,079 posts, read 7,015,264 times
Cape Town? Which one? The one in Africa?

I would think from that picture Galveston would most resemble it. By the look of the buildings.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 AM

10 posts, read 49,677 times
Yes, sorry, the one in South Africa. [Africa is the continent, South Africa is the country].

Yip, thats Cape Town. Beautiful place. The Table Mountain (in the background). Population about 4M people. But crime is HIGH HIGH HIGH. So tired of being fearful constantly..... I am looking for a place to move to which is beautiful, liberal, open-minded and down-to-earth where I can work as a Health Care Professional. always wanted to travel to the states.

However, my contrasting desire to visit CA and TX is causing problems Need to save up BIG time!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 AM

397 posts, read 829,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Cape Town? Which one? The one in Africa?

I would think from that picture Galveston would most resemble it. By the look of the buildings.
LOL .... having visited there several times, Cape Town is NOTHING like Galveston. The closest city in the US to it is San Francisco - the landscape and culture is very similar, with ocean, mountains, and wineries. CT is a very cosmopolitan, "weird" [in a good way] city with lots of diversity and culture. Gosh, I have great memories of my trips there, and a favorite place for Germans to visit.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:49 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,684,151 times
CapeTownGirl, if you want something liberal you may want to choose CA. Texas is beautiful but not as liberal as CA although I would say that Houston, being a very large city, is more liberal, diverse and open than other Texas cities. Of course, Austin is considered liberal and it's in the Hill Country which is a beautiful place. You may want to check out Austin and Houston.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
CapeTownGirl, if you want something liberal you may want to choose CA. Texas is beautiful but not as liberal as CA although I would say that Houston, being a very large city, is more liberal, diverse and open than other Texas cities. Of course, Austin is considered liberal and it's in the Hill Country which is a beautiful place. You may want to check out Austin and Houston.
I agree. While I am of course biased to CA (I think the transition from CT to CA would be easiest), as Blueskies mentioned, there is Austin and pockets of Houston and Dallas to consider. However, you would be sacrificing a lot in terms of natural beauty, compared to the scenery you are used to in CT.

I would say that even if you came to many parts of CA, it would be hard to rival the scenery in CT. San Diego, where I live is beautiful, but much dryer than Cape Town, and the inner parts of the city closer to the desert can be quite dull. The same for Los Angeles. Northern Cali is much greener, and as I mentioned, the landscape in San Francisco is most similar to Cape Town.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
LOL .... having visited there several times, Cape Town is NOTHING like Galveston. The closest city in the US to it is San Francisco - the landscape and culture is very similar, with ocean, mountains, and wineries. CT is a very cosmopolitan, "weird" [in a good way] city with lots of diversity and culture. Gosh, I have great memories of my trips there, and a favorite place for Germans to visit.

Never been to Cape town.. so you would know better than I. I was just judging off the many google images I saw of the place and having been to Galveston was comparing the two.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Never been to Cape town.. so you would know better than I. I was just judging off the many google images I saw of the place and having been to Galveston was comparing the two.
That's totally fine! I can see how you would get there perhaps based on the picture you posted. But it really is night and day. If you have been to SF, that is the best comparison.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:22 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,684,151 times
I visited SF once many years ago. It was Sept. and cold and windy. We went over the Labor Day weekend. But it was lovely! We had a great time and I'll always remember it. Did the usual touristy things, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli's Chocolate Factory, Chinatown, Presidio, and that cool, windy, steeply sloped street - I forget the name of it.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
That's totally fine! I can see how you would get there perhaps based on the picture you posted. But it really is night and day. If you have been to SF, that is the best comparison.
been to San Fran once as a kid.. I was 13 I think at the time.. My family was heading up to see the red woods and we stopped off in San Fransisco and saw some of the sites there.

The Mountains in the picture I posted look like the El Paso TX Mountains to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas