Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:37 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,749,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for Texas View Post
Thanks 940, that is what we all want to know. I hope everyone is safe out there.

I guess the weather is bad everywhere. We are freeeezing and had snow this morning in the high desert in Calif. 29 degrees.
Right now, I'd take that Texas summer heat compared to what we have going on here today. Today here in the Big D, off and on drizzle, mid 60's and HUMID!!! You have to have the a/c on so that you can breath but then it puts a little chill in the air w/ the humidity so you need a light sweater or jacket. Hair, HA!!!!! Just nasty. I'm hoping this arctic blast will knock off the humidity. I can live w/o the ice though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 01:44 PM

15,246 posts, read 35,505,155 times
Dallas seems to have some of the most extreme weather in Texas...Hotter in the summer, colder in the winter, sometimes high humidity in the summer, hellacious thunderstorms/hail/tornados, snow and ice. Not that the weather isn't nice a large portion of the time, but it just has so much range...

PS Why don't we put a major airport there?

Old 01-12-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Dallas seems to have some of the most extreme weather in Texas...Hotter in the summer, colder in the winter, sometimes high humidity in the summer, hellacious thunderstorms/hail/tornados, snow and ice. Not that the weather isn't nice a large portion of the time, but it just has so much range...

PS Why don't we put a major airport there?
YEAH!!!!!!!!! That is a GREAT IDEA!! And then if the weather gets bad at this huge airport in Dallas we can divert the plane to Austin. While there the passangers can sit on the tarmac on the plane for, oh around 8 hours. Sounds like a terrific idea if you can get it to fly.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:55 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,135,287 times
Arctic front just blew through at my house in a northern suburb of DFW. Temp has dropped about a degree a minute and has gone from 68 to about 48 here now and still heading down. Ice storm warnings have now been posted for about half of the DFW metro including my county, Denton county, so this has the makings of being really really bad around here, similar to the awful ice storm that was here in the late 70's when folks were without power for weeks when trees fell on power lines.

And yes, the DFW area has some of the most changing and extreme weather of any large metro. Blazing hot in the summer with temps easily over 100 each year...and then ice and snow possible at least a few times in the winter. Never a dull moment, eh?!!

Old 01-12-2007, 06:20 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,207,369 times
Central Texas hasn't been hit yet by the front, but a tornado was spotted in Troy moving north to the Waco area and then, it went back to where it should have stayed in the first place. It did do some damage, but nothing serious.

I will take this weather any day to 6 months of summer days. The A/C doesn't need to be on, just open a window or two and dress lightly. The temperature is only in the 60s but very humid. What's new?

The best weather in Texas albeit short-lived is when it's in the 60s or 70s during the day and the 30s or 40s at night. Love it!!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:03 PM

Glad you could get some releif by just opening a window. Here in the Big D if you wanted to breath you had to turn on the a/c. If you would have simply "opened a window" it would have made it even worse inside. It was a VERY heavy soupy day here w/ no air moving outside whatsoever. And riding in the car in the drizzle rolling the window down is not an option unless you want to wash the inside of your car out and deal w/ mold issues later.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:41 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,731,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Right now, I'd take that Texas summer heat compared to what we have going on here today. Today here in the Big D, off and on drizzle, mid 60's and HUMID!!! You have to have the a/c on so that you can breath but then it puts a little chill in the air w/ the humidity so you need a light sweater or jacket. Hair, HA!!!!! Just nasty. I'm hoping this arctic blast will knock off the humidity. I can live w/o the ice though.
We get a lot of weather like that in summer here.

My fingers are much more sensitive to cold than my arms so a jacket and A/C wouldn't cut it; I'd need gloves too.

In weather like that I like to heat the car up to around 80 something. While it does nothing to the dewpoint, it still drops the relative humidity and I find I'm less sticky with it like that. As long as it's not warm enough to make me feel overheated it works well.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:12 PM

Time for another update...it's 30 here at the house and ice forming on everything..little icicles on the tree branches...off the deck railing...off the side of the house gutters, etc. Forecast calls for heavy rain to begin tonight and last through most of Sunday and Sunday night which means a substantial ice storm by the time it's all over on Monday PM or so.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Time for another update...it's 30 here at the house and ice forming on everything..little icicles on the tree branches...off the deck railing...off the side of the house gutters, etc. Forecast calls for heavy rain to begin tonight and last through most of Sunday and Sunday night which means a substantial ice storm by the time it's all over on Monday PM or so.
LOL!! We have had nothing but rain. Been watching the radar yesterday and today. Where we sit in the Dallas area we have been getting the brunt of the rain and just REALLY cold weather but no freezing. We are DRENCHED! Not looking forward to all of this wetness freezing. And I have to get out in a few and head into Dallas. YUCK!!!

Old 01-13-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
LOL!! We have had nothing but rain. Been watching the radar yesterday and today. Where we sit in the Dallas area we have been getting the brunt of the rain and just REALLY cold weather but no freezing. We are DRENCHED! Not looking forward to all of this wetness freezing. And I have to get out in a few and head into Dallas. YUCK!!!
Wow..what a difference in weather going on here in the DFW area..don't float away Mom and we'll try not to slide off the roads over here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas