Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:57 AM

437 posts, read 2,238,370 times

Advertisements

How about this? I thought it would be interesting for you guys who are on this forum to:

Just say something about the weather. What kind of weather did you have last night. Thunder and lighting and if you got rain or a storms or hail. This would give us an idea of what kind of weather you are getting this time of year and the area. I know we can read this on the news but its better to hear it from you.

Tell us the weather each day in your area. Or just when it gets pretty bad.

The reason I ask is that my daughter in law just called from Plano and said, SH*T mom, I don't know if you should come here. The weather was so bad last night. It scared her terribly. The boom, boom. The hail. Her cabnets shook like mad.

She said that she talked to people who told her to tell me not to move to East Texas because that is where the weather is worse.

I can't really believe that. I told her that if it was so terribly bad, why hasn't everyone left Texas.

So, I thought this would help a lot of us in deciding were to move. I hope you don't mind doing it. It might be fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 12:25 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Well over here on the warmer side of the metroplex we did not have any thunderstorms last night or hail. My mom is in Carrollton and they were a bit colder last night and this morning than we were over here on the N.E. side of Dallas County. My sis in McKinney, well it is always colder in McKinney than it is a lil farther south towards Dallas. Last night on the news even at 6:00 they were doing reports from Cooke County (Gainsville) and it was already pretty cold there and heavy rain and freezing rain.

Being in Plano or this part of Dallas - Dallas County we alway fair better than the folks over in Tarrant County (Ft Worth) and to the west of there. They always get the brunt of it and more than we do.

Right now in Garland there is freezing rain/sleet coming down. THe ground is not covered like my mom said it was in Carrollton at 11:22 (2 hours ago). But it is now coming down pretty good. Kids get out of school around 3 and our schools have not closed early like some did out towards the West, up North or such.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:28 PM

Here is the 5 day forecast for Dallas

5-Day Forecast
Thursday

Hi 34
Lo 22
Wintry Mix

Friday
Hi 46
Lo 25
Partly Cloudy

Saturday
Hi 51
Lo 28
Mostly Clear

Sunday
Hi 49
Lo 30
Partly Cloudy

Monday
Hi 54
Lo 32
Clear

So it will be short lived. Usually is.
Current Conditions
Temp: 30°
Dew Point: 25°
Humidity: 80%
Wind: WNW 22 mph
Visibility: 4.0 miles
Pressure: 30.09 in.
Sky: Light Snow
Wind Chill: 17°

BTW, it has been so warm the last several days that even last night at 11:00 our heater had not come on nor had the freeze protection turned on the pump in the pool.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:01 PM

Nov. 30
2:00 pm
N.E. Garland and lots of snow coming down right now. Guess the grass got cold enough to help it stick a little bit.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:13 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Ok well in SA when Iwoke up today at 530 it was about 70,it went down to about 35 at 9am now its up at 45 and windy. Some rain last night, we had a tornado watch and the county NW of here (Medina) had a tornado warning. Other than that not a lot of boomers but some. Are there really places that don't have thunderstorms? Would seem unnaturally quiet to me!

Old 11-30-2006, 04:37 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,370 times
Neddy, Yes there really is places that don't have thunderstorms. We get a few once in a while during winter but not like Texas. No boom, boom here.

My husband said you guys in Texas would fall a sleep from bordom because it is so quiet here in the winter.

Momof2, Snow? Yuck. Is that normal? I bet that is hard to drive in while picking up the kids.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for Texas View Post
Neddy, Yes there really is places that don't have thunderstorms. We get a few once in a while during winter but not like Texas. No boom, boom here.

My husband said you guys in Texas would fall a sleep from bordom because it is so quiet here in the winter.

Momof2, Snow? Yuck. Is that normal? I bet that is hard to drive in while picking up the kids.
Naa, snow is nothing. I've picked up both kids at two different schools in it today, I'll take snow over pouring rain any day w/ that chore . Came home, had to take one to a friends so they can study and practice for a competition this weekend and it's been snowing off and on pretty good for several hours. Not much accumulation though w/ the moisture as the sun goes down the bridges and overpasses will probably ice up. Ice is the problem. The little bit of snow we get is nothing. After school there were kids out on the golf course playing on the "hills". My youngest pretended to not see me at school to pick her up so she could play in the snow w/ friends. This morning I took both to school, went to the office then the store and it was fine.

We don't get much snow around here at all. Usually 2 times a year is about it. If that at all.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Weather??? Winter has arrived, and I LOVE it!!!!!

Here in Midland, we got down to 21 last night, and woke up to a light dusting of snow that didn't cover everything. It snowed this morning....was about 25....I was hoping it would snow enough to cover everything up, but the sun came out....

It was bright and sunny this afternoon, 35°, very dry with a rather uncomfortable wind.

It will warm up fast after a low tonight of 24. It's now 29. Tomorrow's high, 59.

Forecast Conditions High/Low °F Precip.
Chance Wind Speed High Temperatures Low Temperatures Precipitation UV Index
Tonight
Nov 30 Clear
N/A/24° 0%
From the West
8mph

Fri
Dec 1 Sunny
59°/29° 0%
From the Southwest
11mph

Sat
Dec 2 Sunny
60°/27° 10%
From the East Northeast
9mph

Sun
Dec 3 Sunny
45°/22° 20%
From the South
9mph

Mon
Dec 4 Mostly Sunny
53°/31° 10%
From the Southeast
11mph

Tue
Dec 5 Mostly Sunny
63°/33° 10%
From the South
11mph

Wed
Dec 6 Partly Cloudy
56°/30° 10%
From the West
12mph

Thu
Dec 7 Few Showers
51°/32° 30%
From the North Northeast
12mph

Fri
Dec 8 Partly Cloudy
58°/35° 10%
From the South Southwest
10mph

Sat
Dec 9 Sunny
57°/38° 10%
From the South Southeast
12mph

Old 11-30-2006, 07:41 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for Texas View Post
The reason I ask is that my daughter in law just called from Plano and said, SH*T mom, I don't know if you should come here. The weather was so bad last night. It scared her terribly. The boom, boom. The hail. Her cabnets shook like mad.

She said that she talked to people who told her to tell me not to move to East Texas because that is where the weather is worse.

I can't really believe that. I told her that if it was so terribly bad, why hasn't everyone left Texas.

So, I thought this would help a lot of us in deciding were to move. I hope you don't mind doing it. It might be fun.
Okay, I'll give you my opinion. If your daughter was scared last night just wait until spring time and tornado season really shows its face. I've lived in Central Texas north of Waco for 28 years now (moved from CA) and I still hate the bad storms. They scare me a bunch!! And then there's the heat in the summer for like, well, 6months. Unbearable, 98 degrees at 11 p.m. and 82at 5 a.m. with sometimes weeks of triple digits during the afternoon.

Whether East Texas is worse than what we're in, Tornado Alley, I don't know. Why don't people move away from here? Well, I'd like to and am contemplating doing so when I retire. I want to so very badly; I just wish I could talk my grown children into leaving as well. Time will tell!!

Autumn is great though, but tonight feels like winter for sure. Last night, we didn't have any thunderstorms where I live. We had sleet today and tonight while driving home from work, it was snowing but very lightly. The wind is blowing very hard and the temperature is 30 degrees with a wind chill of 17 degrees. It is supposed to get to the low 20s tonight with an even lower wind chill. It was 80 degrees a few days ago.

Last night there were tornado watches in Williamson County (Austin area) but I don't think one ever developed. The conditions were very favorable for such though with the cold air meeting the warm, humid air.

I wish you well if you move to Texas; you may love it as many people really do.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:06 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Talking The weather is great...today

I really enjoyed the weather today even with the wind. We only had a light mist of rain, but a lot of wind. It felt so good to be in some cool air. I could go outside and not melt. It's supposed to get into the 20;s tonight and I LOVE IT!!!
I'll take that over the nasty sticky humid summer weather anyday.

P.S. I am going to move because of the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas