Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 01:39 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,407,432 times

Advertisements

Oh, and regarding the Hobby-to-downtown-H travel. As a native Houstonian, I gotta say that anyone traveling that route would not get a good first impression. The City of Houston used to own a broad swath of land on either side of Broadway that it sold to developers decades ago. Now, it looks pretty run-down. The City missed an opportunity to do something of more lasting value with that property.

In fact, that whole stretch of SE Houston along the Gulf Freeway used to be fairly nice, way back.

Efforts are underway to build back retail in downtown H (ironically, along Dallas Street!). However, if a rail link to Hobby were ever built, I imagine the impact on downtown retail would be minor, in H's case at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 07:07 PM

254 posts, read 190,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
OP, I have a genuine question. Why do you care so much about luxury retail, almost to the point of sounding vapid?
In my prior thread, I claim there is little difference between what is luxury retail and what is the best of Dallas retail. In Dallas, it is easy to find stores that search the world over for unique merchandise.

During the eighties, a retail battle was waged between outside luxury stores and the best of these home grown stores of Dallas. Add that retail war with the oil bust happening during that time and it became a bloodbath. As I've already mentioned, six luxury department stores in North Dallas either had to relocate or were demolished. Four of those department stores were from out of state with another one being Sakowitz of Houston. Meanwhile, among the traditional Dallas retail, many local boutiqes along The Miracle Mile were also wiped out.

I hope that answered your question.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Let me ask you this, OP. If Dallas luxury retail were that much better than Houston'a, then how come Dallas has yet to land a Dolce & Gabbana? Prada boutique? Rolex boutique? NARS? The list goes on. I mean, I'm not here to argue Dallas isn't a great retail hotspot. Because it is. But if Dallas were truly way over Houston as you say, Dallas would get all the flagships Houston gets.

Sure, Dallas has more luxury corridors, but the one major corridor Houston has is bigger than all of the ones in Dallas so it doesn't matter.
Once again, Dallas creates its own luxury stores. The area is extremely competitive. Houston attracts outside luxury retail to its area. Dallas creates its own.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I'm a little puzzled by the notion that "Love Field airport is the catalyst for this phenomenon of retail in central Dallas". I agree that LF is a great amenity, especially being so close-in. Plus, it has sort-of easy access to DART rail (via a shuttle bus).

Also, the growth of retail (high-end or otherwise) in downtown D is good for me as a visitor, as well as for locals.

However ... 92% of the passenger load (as of October) at LF is served by SW, which doesn't strike me as the airline for the "high-end-retail" kind of people. I'm not trying to quibble, and maybe my assumption is wrong. I can imagine that affluent people from adjacent states might fly into Dallas on SW to go shopping. So, maybe that's a partial explanation.
Dallas Lemmon Avenue: One-Stop Shopping for Luxury Cars | Drive Your Dream Blog

The address above is old, but informative. What is amazing about Lemmon Avenue in 2010 is how it had already achieved mecca status for luxury vehicle dealerships. This is amazing because Love Field during that time had yet to open its new terminal with flight restrictions lifted. After opening that new terminal at Love Field, the traffic at the airport nearly doubled in a single year. To give an example of the size of the surrounding regional market that the retail in central Dallas serves, Highland Park Village shopping center claims it is common occurance to find licence plates of cars in their parking lot from twenty-two surrounding states.

Again, this is a major contrast between Houston and Dallas. Check out a map. All that legacy retail in central Dallas is conveniently connected to Love Field.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLRRE View Post
The obsession is not so much about luxury retail (as that's pretty much clearly a tie/draw to anyone who's realistic and sane); it's really severe anti-Houston sentiment, but they're using luxury retail as their latest proxy; they feel it's all they have left to try to "beat" Houston at, lol. It's the classic little annoying sister, big brother meaningless rivalry, that these Dallas people won't stop.

The constant Dallas going against Houston is sooo futile. Again, which is insane, as both cities are about the same. As Trump would say, "Sad." Sad indeed, as Houston is expanding with even more gobs of luxury retail in 2017, and is projected to soon become America's 3rd-largest city. Can you imagine the insane ridiculous posts then?
Go ahead and express your opinion, but just do so with the understanding that retail in both cities doesn't compare. On the most basic level, Dallas has zoning and Houston doesn't. You know, if you wanted to open up a boutique in Houston, you would be wise to stock it by sending your buyers to Dallas. Oh, you could send them to New York City, but that wouldn't be economical. The Dallas Market Center is frequented by 200,000 buyers from all fifty states and eighty nations.

If I tried comparing the Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas with the Texas Medical Center in Houston, you might chuckle politely at my naivity and shake your head. You might find the idea so absurd that it isn't worthy of a response. We all know that both of these medical centers don't compare. Likewise, Dallas isn't the energy capital of the world, but Houston is.

Why do you continue to insist that Houston has the same retail cake as Dallas?

Old 12-18-2016, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Oh, and regarding the Hobby-to-downtown-H travel. As a native Houstonian, I gotta say that anyone traveling that route would not get a good first impression. The City of Houston used to own a broad swath of land on either side of Broadway that it sold to developers decades ago. Now, it looks pretty run-down. The City missed an opportunity to do something of more lasting value with that property.

In fact, that whole stretch of SE Houston along the Gulf Freeway used to be fairly nice, way back.

Efforts are underway to build back retail in downtown H (ironically, along Dallas Street!). However, if a rail link to Hobby were ever built, I imagine the impact on downtown retail would be minor, in H's case at least.
So do you see this contrast between Houston and Dallas retail then? There isn't a direct connection between Hobby airport and central Houston. Meanwhile, Maple Avenue is a direct connection between Love Field and Uptown and it is booming today. Lemmon Avenue is also a direct connection to central Dallas. Mockingbird Lane connects Love Field to Highland Park Village. Similarly, Lovers Lane connects the airport to both Inwood Village and The Miracle Mile. Finally, the Northwest Highway connects the airport to both Preston Center and NorthPark Center.

I can't recollect any notable retail located around Hobby airport.

However, I did mention that one should expect an uptick in luxury retail sales in Houston because of Southwest Airline's new international terminal opening at Hobby.

You know, there always seems to be a tendency to pooh pooh retail because it is a corner shopping center. However, if it was built before the advent of the technique of tilt walled construction, it should be revered as very well built. Palm Center is an example of this type of retail in Houston. The Preston Royal shopping center is another example of this in Dallas. Yet others are the Caruth built Hillside Shopping Center on Mockingbird Lane and the Casa Linda Shopping Center east of White Rock Lake. I'm not against tilt walled construction if it is utilized in a limited way that enhances the shopping center. I can't think of anything cheaper than merchandise sold within strip centers constructed of concrete tilt-walled construction. Why can't the shopping centers themselves be pretty?

Before Highland Park Village was built, the developers of it searched the world over for a unique architectural design. It would be nice to return to that standard.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:45 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,610,803 times
Quote:
I'm a little puzzled by the notion that "Love Field airport is the catalyst for this phenomenon of retail in central Dallas". I agree that LF is a great amenity, especially being so close-in. Plus, it has sort-of easy access to DART rail (via a shuttle bus).

Also, the growth of retail (high-end or otherwise) in downtown D is good for me as a visitor, as well as for locals.

However ... 92% of the passenger load (as of October) at LF is served by SW, which doesn't strike me as the airline for the "high-end-retail" kind of people. I'm not trying to quibble, and maybe my assumption is wrong. I can imagine that affluent people from adjacent states might fly into Dallas on SW to go shopping. So, maybe that's a partial explanation.
I think youre reading far too much into that. Dallas is a giant consumers market and the high end fashion purchases arent bought by visitors but by residents as a whole. People do come into Dallas to shop the same way they do in Houston, but DFW is only an extra 15 minutes away from those areas.

The one thing the OP does have right is that Dallas is FAR more innovative with fashion that Houston is. Houston can carry pretty much any luxury retailer, Dallas has created a lot of them. Dallas is much more fashion forward than Houston is and it cares a lot more about fashion than Houston does.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I think youre reading far too much into that. Dallas is a giant consumers market and the high end fashion purchases arent bought by visitors but by residents as a whole. People do come into Dallas to shop the same way they do in Houston, but DFW is only an extra 15 minutes away from those areas.

The one thing the OP does have right is that Dallas is FAR more innovative with fashion that Houston is. Houston can carry pretty much any luxury retailer, Dallas has created a lot of them. Dallas is much more fashion forward than Houston is and it cares a lot more about fashion than Houston does.
When I was a teenager, my parents would send me to work on my uncle and aunt's farm in Kansas. Once a year, they either travelled to shop in Dallas or Chicago. About ten years ago, the DFW airport market was said to serve 650,000 millionaires. I imagine that number is closer to a million today.

Love Field airport has just got going again. Its effects upon central Dallas will take a few more years to manifest. One can see hints of it though. The depth of luxury retail in Central Dallas is incredible. The scale of Uptown around the Crescent is guaranteed to continue zooming upward. The potential for downtown around its Neiman Marcus, the new Forty-Five-Ten, and the luxury retail located within the Joule Hotel to continue attracting further luxury retail aroun it is a certainty. Inwood Village and Preston Center, because of their close proximity to Love Field and as they don't have the available real estate to expand, will continue to advance in quality. While Knox Street is settling on becoming a mecca for luxury home furnishing and furniture stores within its Main Street design, Henderson Avenue is attracting luxury boutiques to its more bohemian area.

I haven't even mentioned NorthPark Center and Highland Park Village which are a match for the Houston Galleria and the new contemporary River Oaks District in Houston. Outside of those two luxury destinations in Uptown Houston, what does Houston have?

Old 12-18-2016, 01:31 PM

89 posts, read 78,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
When I was a teenager, my parents would send me to work on my uncle and aunt's farm in Kansas. Once a year, they either travelled to shop in Dallas or Chicago. About ten years ago, the DFW airport market was said to serve 650,000 millionaires. I imagine that number is closer to a million today.

Love Field airport has just got going again. Its effects upon central Dallas will take a few more years to manifest. One can see hints of it though. The depth of luxury retail in Central Dallas is incredible. The scale of Uptown around the Crescent is guaranteed to continue zooming upward. The potential for downtown around its Neiman Marcus, the new Forty-Five-Ten, and the luxury retail located within the Joule Hotel to continue attracting further luxury retail aroun it is a certainty. Inwood Village and Preston Center, because of their close proximity to Love Field and as they don't have the available real estate to expand, will continue to advance in quality. While Knox Street is settling on becoming a mecca for luxury home furnishing and furniture stores within its Main Street design, Henderson Avenue is attracting luxury boutiques to its more bohemian area.

I haven't even mentioned NorthPark Center and Highland Park Village which are a match for the Houston Galleria and the new contemporary River Oaks District in Houston. Outside of those two luxury destinations in Uptown Houston, what does Houston have?
Highland Village, Rice Village, River Oaks Shopping Center, Post Oak Blvd, BLVD Place and Uptown Park, to name a few. Additionally, the Houston Galleria trumps NorthPark Center...everybody knows that. Overall, you're only going to get a match, at best, with this pathetic futile Houston/Dallas luxury retail nonsense. Let's agree that in America Dallas is a fashion leader, and Houston is the OG/Energy capital, OK? Anyway, fashion is boring and trivial. Give it a rest, go watch tv.

Last edited by BCLRRE; 12-18-2016 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas