Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 04:20 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,830 times

Advertisements

OP, your point is well taken! We got it. Dallas has better, more "organic" luxury retail than Houston. So what? What's the point of pushing your view of the Dallas retail so hard? Reading this thread is like watching a train-wreck, but at some point it has to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 04:59 PM

254 posts, read 191,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
OP, your point is well taken! We got it. Dallas has better, more "organic" luxury retail than Houston. So what? What's the point of pushing your view of the Dallas retail so hard? Reading this thread is like watching a train-wreck, but at some point it has to stop.
I am waiting for the thread to cool off. I want to dig up and note in Dallas another level of retail that I call regal. This would be moderate priced merchandise, but goods that are sought after abd bought the world over!

If you aren't interested in retail, then feel free not to read about it.

Again, for good reason, I think Dallas retail is three levels above the same in Houston. 1)Dallas retail is far more dynamic. 2) Dallas retail benefits because of the huge wholesale market based in the area, and finally, 3) it benefits because of the close proximity of central Dallas to Love Field airport.

Last edited by Dallas retail updater; 12-19-2016 at 05:18 PM..

Old 12-19-2016, 07:52 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
The Dallas area is indeed four quarters and each quarter of it has begun to form its own luxury retail. These quarters are Dallas, Plano, Fort Worth, and South Lake.
Fort Worth is not a quarter of the Dallas area. Them's fightin words among Fort Worth natives. Fort Worth has no desire to be a part of or be like Dallas. It has it's own distinct culture.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,845 times
Who cares? You can buy any luxury retail item online, and if you don't like it you can send it right back. I order my suits from a tailor in China, who does far superior work then the people at Nieman Marcus.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Fort Worth is not a quarter of the Dallas area. Them's fightin words among Fort Worth natives. Fort Worth has no desire to be a part of or be like Dallas. It has it's own distinct culture.
But it is going to become a serious local competitor of central Dallas pertaining to luxury retail. At about the same time when the retail in Legacy West opens in Plano, the Neiman Marcus anchored Shops at Clearfork is expected to open in Fort Worth.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Who cares? You can buy any luxury retail item online, and if you don't like it you can send it right back. I order my suits from a tailor in China, who does far superior work then the people at Nieman Marcus.
Quality needs to be held and inspected in three dimensions. More important than that, it is an enjoyable experience to shop.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:32 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Fashion in Dallas is huge. But if it was "miles ahead of Houston", like you say, than why does Houston have a lot more world-wide brand flagships than Dallas. Dolce & Gabbana, Prada, Rolex to name a few. If Dallas were way over Houston, it atleast wouldn't be missing what Houston has.

That being said, sure Dallas is more innovative in fashion than Houston is. Houston is indeed more traditional. That's why Dallas has more department stores than Houston while Houston has more flagships. But it's not necessarily a nad thing.

Speaking of innovation, the only "major" international fashion designer from Texas grew up in suburban Houston and Austin: Tom Ford.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:45 PM

570 posts, read 560,416 times
I've heard of Tom Ford many of times but didn't realize he was from Texas.

He states:
Quote:
SAYS TOM FORD, "TEXAS IS MY BIRTHPLACE, SO THERE IS A SPECIAL SIGNIFICANCE IN OPENING MY SECOND FLAGSHIP THERE. I AM VERY MUCH LOOKING FORWARD TO HAVING A TOM FORD FLAGSHIP IN HOUSTON.”
https://www.tomford.com/TFBrand_Hous...tml?fdid=brand

Old 12-22-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Fashion in Dallas is huge. But if it was "miles ahead of Houston", like you say, than why does Houston have a lot more world-wide brand flagships than Dallas. Dolce & Gabbana, Prada, Rolex to name a few. If Dallas were way over Houston, it atleast wouldn't be missing what Houston has.

That being said, sure Dallas is more innovative in fashion than Houston is. Houston is indeed more traditional. That's why Dallas has more department stores than Houston while Houston has more flagships. But it's not necessarily a nad thing.

Speaking of innovation, the only "major" international fashion designer from Texas grew up in suburban Houston and Austin: Tom Ford.
I have been reading recently about the early development of Victory Park and how Ross Perot Jr's company tried anchoring it with luxury retail. Again, this is excellent example of how dynamic retail in Dallas can be. Not only did Victory Park fail and its retail suffer a bloodbath, but incredibly it has already been repurposed and turned around!

I just feel something of this dynamic nature wouldn't happen in Houston. The retail in and around Victory Park is already expanding. Meanwhile, there is over two thousand apartments now under construction in the development while there will be a total of 4000 when this latest phase of construction is complete. This is all happening in an area only 0.12 square miles.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:49 AM

89 posts, read 79,451 times
Brian Bolke (a Dallas native), one of the current luxury retail authorities on the scene today, recently said the luxury retail 'riff' between Dallas and Houston is 'ridiculous'. At one time Dallas was very over-retailed, and Houston was under-retailed. Over time many of those Dallas stores closed, as many more opened in Houston, which has balanced the two (a tie). The two cities do luxury retail somewhat differently, but whatever imbalance there may have been, he says they're now "caught up" (a tie). There are some dynamics of the Houston scene that are unique to it, so too for Dallas...and there is nothing that you can get in Houston that you can't get in Dallas.

According to Bolke, the Houston/Dallas luxury retail game is tied. Moreover, he said the success of his retail company is due in part to the Houston community, and the talented Houstonians on his team. He said Houston talent, in particular, has made his Dallas retail business very successful.

It's amazing what Houston and Dallas can do when they work together, and not try to tear each other apart with 'ridiculous' meaningless 'riffs'.

Legendary boutique owner reveals his H-Town vision: Luxe and eccentric - CultureMap Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas