Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 12:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Quit answering a question with a question. Explain your position please. And answer the questions others ask you. That's how the game around here is played fairly.
Very well. You ask why I say that percentage is not relevant. That seems to indicate that you feel that basic rights should be apportioned (or are "earned") by percentage of the population a particular group falls into. Is that correct? If so, I strongly disagree (as did the founding fathers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 PM

716 posts, read 539,734 times
using the toilet is a basic right? OMG whats next with you - i want cadillac that should be a right because others have one!

you can't stand the fact 0.01% of the population is not having it their way because the elected officials won't cowtow to all these progressive wants. elections a matter and progressives lost- you can't deal with it

PS the last time Texas voted for the democratic president was Jimmy Carter - and that worked out well - NOT

Old 03-19-2017, 05:53 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
I really don't understand how something with such flimsy evidence to back up its scientific and medical claims became national public policy?

Old 03-20-2017, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Very well. You ask why I say that percentage is not relevant. That seems to indicate that you feel that basic rights should be apportioned (or are "earned") by percentage of the population a particular group falls into. Is that correct? If so, I strongly disagree (as did the founding fathers).
That is not correct. If I thought that was correct I'd be opposed to the Civil Rights Act and the Americans With Disabilities Act and a number of other acts.

The act that I'm opposed to is an act that disregards science completely and caters to a political agenda rather than reality. Scientifically speaking, our sex is programmed into not just our genitals, but every cell in our bodies. There is male DNA and female DNA. This DNA makes us either male or female. For pete's sake, a baby can be born with NO genitalia, or severely deformed genitalia, or ambiguous genitalia, and a DNA test can be performed to determine whether the baby is male or female.

So - a minuscule percentage of the population does not accept science and DNA as a reality, apparently. They think that in spite of all evidence to the contrary, they are not the sex that their body is biologically. I don't know why they feel that way and frankly neither do you. But I don't know why people do or feel a lot of things. Not all feelings or beliefs make sense, do they?

People with anorexia nervosa believe they are overweight. People with Body Dysmorphic Disorder are preoccupied to an extreme with what they perceive as flaws in their body parts, which impedes them socially, occupationally, and in other socially interactive areas of function and life. Both these groups have high suicide and suicide attempt rates of around 25%. Both these groups feel isolated, rejected, and shunned by society whether this is actually true or not, and both groups have high rates of depression. Both feel as if they are discriminated against. The suicide/suicide attempt rate of transgender folks is over 40 percent. They also feel isolated, rejected, and shunned whether this is actually true or not, and they also have high rates of depression. Maybe - and I know this isn't the cool thing to say, but considering that SCIENCE backs the assertion that we are genetically either male or female - just MAYBE transgender people have a form of Body Dysmorphic Disorder or something along those lines.

Gay people don't reject their actual sex/gender (until the 20th century, both these words were used interchangeably and in fact even today many scientific and professional fields don't differentiate between these two words/concepts even though it's politically incorrect at the moment). They don't deny that they are genetically male or female.

Transgender people brush aside the scientific evidence to the contrary. And you know what - so what, right? I mean, lots of people do that - in fact, many religious people are accused of doing exactly that, and in many cases these non scientific beliefs of some religious people are not only ridiculed, there are laws enacted to prevent them from forcing others to condone or support such beliefs.

And this is where my problem with the crazy bathroom laws comes in. These laws are inconsistent. If it's not OK for religious people to force others to subsidize their beliefs which many claim are not valid and not backed by science, then why is it OK for others to force people to subsidize their beliefs which many claim are not valid and not backed by science?

This is not a matter of civil rights. People do not have the inherent civil right to expect others to support every single mindset that the human mind can come up with. For instance, some adults like living as infants and want other adults to change their diapers. Should we force business owners and public entities to start installing adult-sized changing tables in all bathrooms? I mean, come on - in spite of all scientific evidence to the contrary, some adults want to live as infants and want other adults to change their diapers.

Heck, for that matter, some people have species dysphoria - they truly, truly believe that they were born into the wrong SPECIES and that they are really, truly, oh I don't know - a fox, a cat, a lion, a dragon, you name it. Should we start putting gigantic litter boxes in our public restrooms, or start allowing these people to squat in the park to do their business?

Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
That is not correct. If I thought that was correct I'd be opposed to the Civil Rights Act and the Americans With Disabilities Act and a number of other acts.

The act that I'm opposed to is an act that disregards science completely and caters to a political agenda rather than reality. Scientifically speaking, our sex is programmed into not just our genitals, but every cell in our bodies. There is male DNA and female DNA. This DNA makes us either male or female. For pete's sake, a baby can be born with NO genitalia, or severely deformed genitalia, or ambiguous genitalia, and a DNA test can be performed to determine whether the baby is male or female.

So - a minuscule percentage of the population does not accept science and DNA as a reality, apparently. They think that in spite of all evidence to the contrary, they are not the sex that their body is biologically. I don't know why they feel that way and frankly neither do you. But I don't know why people do or feel a lot of things. Not all feelings or beliefs make sense, do they?

People with anorexia nervosa believe they are overweight. People with Body Dysmorphic Disorder are preoccupied to an extreme with what they perceive as flaws in their body parts, which impedes them socially, occupationally, and in other socially interactive areas of function and life. Both these groups have high suicide and suicide attempt rates of around 25%. Both these groups feel isolated, rejected, and shunned by society whether this is actually true or not, and both groups have high rates of depression. Both feel as if they are discriminated against. The suicide/suicide attempt rate of transgender folks is over 40 percent. They also feel isolated, rejected, and shunned whether this is actually true or not, and they also have high rates of depression. Maybe - and I know this isn't the cool thing to say, but considering that SCIENCE backs the assertion that we are genetically either male or female - just MAYBE transgender people have a form of Body Dysmorphic Disorder or something along those lines.

Gay people don't reject their actual sex/gender (until the 20th century, both these words were used interchangeably and in fact even today many scientific and professional fields don't differentiate between these two words/concepts even though it's politically incorrect at the moment). They don't deny that they are genetically male or female.

Transgender people brush aside the scientific evidence to the contrary. And you know what - so what, right? I mean, lots of people do that - in fact, many religious people are accused of doing exactly that, and in many cases these non scientific beliefs of some religious people are not only ridiculed, there are laws enacted to prevent them from forcing others to condone or support such beliefs.

And this is where my problem with the crazy bathroom laws comes in. These laws are inconsistent. If it's not OK for religious people to force others to subsidize their beliefs which many claim are not valid and not backed by science, then why is it OK for others to force people to subsidize their beliefs which many claim are not valid and not backed by science?

This is not a matter of civil rights. People do not have the inherent civil right to expect others to support every single mindset that the human mind can come up with. For instance, some adults like living as infants and want other adults to change their diapers. Should we force business owners and public entities to start installing adult-sized changing tables in all bathrooms? I mean, come on - in spite of all scientific evidence to the contrary, some adults want to live as infants and want other adults to change their diapers.

Heck, for that matter, some people have species dysphoria - they truly, truly believe that they were born into the wrong SPECIES and that they are really, truly, oh I don't know - a fox, a cat, a lion, a dragon, you name it. Should we start putting gigantic litter boxes in our public restrooms, or start allowing these people to squat in the park to do their business?
Regarding the bolded above, it would appear that it is not only some transgender people who brush aside the scientific evidence, but also those whose preference is that there be no scientific evidence supporting transgender.

As for it being a mental health issue, this is only the Time article regarding the study appearing in Lancet, but since Lancet is pay I'm using that instead so anyone wanting to know about the study but not wanting or being able to pay can get the basics. This is from summer 2016, so it's not like it's brand new info.

"Now, a new study published Tuesday in the journal The Lancet Psychiatry adds nuance to the topic, finding that the social rejection and violence that many transgender people experience appears to be the primary source of their mental distress, as opposed to the distress being solely the result of being transgender. That distinction matters because it has implications for how transgender people are treated in a healthcare setting, as well as how they are viewed in society."

In other words, bigotry against transgenders is the cause of their mental health issues, not being transgender itself. It's a case of blaming the victim by the aggressor to state otherwise.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:19 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
lol Kathryn. First, let me commend you on patience with these pea brains. You are 100% correct in everything you've said, but boy, don't we both know it's going to go over like a lead balloon here. There are certain people who simply cannot accept facts and refuse to acknowledge anything that does not correspond with their own personal beliefs. They will be exploding this thread and I see THL has already hit it. Too funny.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Regarding the bolded above, it would appear that it is not only some transgender people who brush aside the scientific evidence, but also those whose preference is that there be no scientific evidence supporting transgender.

As for it being a mental health issue, this is only the Time article regarding the study appearing in Lancet, but since Lancet is pay I'm using that instead so anyone wanting to know about the study but not wanting or being able to pay can get the basics. This is from summer 2016, so it's not like it's brand new info.

"Now, a new study published Tuesday in the journal The Lancet Psychiatry adds nuance to the topic, finding that the social rejection and violence that many transgender people experience appears to be the primary source of their mental distress, as opposed to the distress being solely the result of being transgender. That distinction matters because it has implications for how transgender people are treated in a healthcare setting, as well as how they are viewed in society."

In other words, bigotry against transgenders is the cause of their mental health issues, not being transgender itself. It's a case of blaming the victim by the aggressor to state otherwise.
You are completely immersed in this weirdness, aren't you?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:

Really? If bigotry against a group is the cause of high suicide rates, then why is the black suicide rate lower than the white suicide rate?

As for scientific evidence that validates that DNA can't pinpoint whether a person is male or female - please present that evidence.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Really? If bigotry against a group is the cause of high suicide rates, then why is the black suicide rate lower than the white suicide rate?

As for scientific evidence that validates that DNA can't pinpoint whether a person is male or female - please present that evidence.
Transgender rates of suicide are only comparable to Jews living under Nazi holocaust last report I checked. Their numbers are very high, yet are we to believe that trans-people, even today, were ever or are under the same threat and bigotry as Jews under Nazi Germany? No.

You can't blame trans-people's distress on others who don't fully believe the narrative of trans theory. If they're being openly discriminatory or violence that is terrible, no one should behave that way toward trans people but this idea that people should accept that a man can be a woman and vice versa, that's a stretch.

I don't get why they can't just fight for their rights without the banner of it being innate or about genetics? There is little conclusive scientific evidence on trans-people. It's also always changing. Not just the science, but the narrative of trans-theory.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:47 AM

Like I said above, there are those whose preference is that there be no scientific evidence supporting transgender who will do everything they can do deny that evidence.

As for being immersed in it, I'm immersed in human rights whether I happen to agree with them or not - the whole point of civil rights is that they exist even if I or anyone else happens to disagree with them. I even acknowledge that bigots have the right to be bigots up until that is actively harmful to others (ask Matthew Shepard, the 7 transgenders murdered in just the first two months of this year, the dozens murdered in 2015 and 2016, and any number of other people whose very civil right to life was violated).

I can guarantee you that, just as it always has, if it becomes socially unacceptable to be bigoted against transgenders, as it has against women, blacks, the disabled, etc., that those who have a need to have a group to be "better than" in order to bolster their own self-esteem will find another one. You can bet the bank on it. I also know that people who merrily throw the rights of those who are "other" out the window because they are different and make those who are prejudiced feel uncomfortable never even stop to think that they are throwing their own rights out the window, as well, because I guarantee you that something that they do makes someone, somewhere, feel uncomfortable (maybe it's their prejudice that does so, even), and will seek to take away their civil rights eventually.

There's two things that apply here that explain why I care so much about this.

First, from the New Testament, Matthew 25:31-46:

Matthew 25:31-46World English Bible (WEB)

31 “But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. 32 Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then the King will tell those on his right hand, ‘Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in. 36 I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you; or thirsty, and give you a drink? 38 When did we see you as a stranger, and take you in; or naked, and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?’

40 “The King will answer them, ‘Most certainly I tell you, because you did it to one of the least of these my brothers[a] , you did it to me.’ 41 Then he will say also to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you didn’t give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you didn’t take me in; naked, and you didn’t clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’

44 “Then they will also answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn’t help you?’

45 “Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Most certainly I tell you, because you didn’t do it to one of the least of these, you didn’t do it to me.’ 46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

And from the period right after WWII, by someone intimately familiar with Nazi Germany, Pastor [SIZE=2]Martin Niemoller[/SIZE]:

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a socialist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me - and there was no one left to speak out for me.

These are things that we should ALL remember and stand up for the rights of those who are not just like us, lest there be no one left to speak up for us both here and now and when our time to be judged comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas