Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:17 AM

712 posts, read 833,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemarine View Post
That bad? Good? Undecided?
OK currently I live in NJ and I want to move out of here hopefully in the near future. I was in a bad car accident on the job and the winters up here is so unbearable for me. And the property tax ($8200 1 acre) doesn't help. Anyway I've been giving a lot of thought about moving to Texas .can anyone recommend a part of Texas that DOESN'T get snow freezing ice or cold damp weather? I know it's probably asking for much, not to mention that some of you will recommend me to move to Florida, which is my second choice, however I'm a country boy at heart and I'm looking for an area that's already an established neighborhood , towhere there is no new construction.Some place that has that " small town feeling". I would like to be out in the country, but close enough to town, if that makes sense. Also I would like to be on a couple of acres. It'll be me, my 2 best friends ( my pups), and one or both of my kids. My son likes long open roads. Ive heard people talk about Tyler and I watch the "Fixer Upper" TV show that takes place in Waco. Anyone's thoughts on these 2 towns?Anyway I thank all of you for reading my story and God Bless all of you.
Most of Texas (anywhere you want to be anyway) may get SOME snow/ice, but it's usually gone in a couple or few days - nothing all season long like the north . . .
You may wanna look at a 'hidden-gem', Shady Shores, Texas; inexpensive(for now but not too much longer), open (mostly homes with large acre+ lots), semi-rural feel in the middle of 'all the action' . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 10:41 AM

554 posts, read 741,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Yes that program exists, but the interest rate charged on those unpaid taxes is horribly high and can totally deplete the homeowner's investment in the property in a very short time. It is a horrible deal for anyone who hoped to leave some value in their property to their heirs.
... Cap'n-Rn ...

Thank you for that link and additional information - We can see that more investigation is warranted, on our part. Then, when the time comes, we can decide how to proceed.

'Ppreciate it! ... TC

Old 01-25-2017, 12:21 PM

15,242 posts, read 35,450,089 times
But note that NJ is one of the few places in the country that has higher property taxes than Texas .

Without knowing your budget, tolerance for SOME cold weather, and how rural/near urban you want to be, the areas that come to mind are pretty much east of, say, Hwy 281 and maybe a line running east and west through Waco. The more south and east you get, the warmer it will get in the winter. Ofc, you will be getting into the potential nuisance area for the occasional hurricane.

There are a ton of small towns in that area that might meet your needs - outside Georgetown, Manor, Seguin, Shiner, Taylor, Columbus, etc. Way too many to list. But if you go north of Waco (mind you, that is not some exact line) you will start to see noticeably colder winters. West of 281 (even in the Hill Country) it starts getting colder, as well. The nicer part of West as opposed to North is the cooler/drier summers.

Btw, it is worth noting that deferred taxes accrue simple interest, not compound, so it is not quite as bad as it sounds.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 01-25-2017 at 12:44 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 03:18 PM

21,395 posts, read 10,450,695 times
I love Bellville, or Sealy has some nice areas. They are close enough to be able to work in Houston, but far enough away that they will never be swallowed up by the growth of the city of Houston. Also areas north of Houston around Conroe or further north where you have some hills and piney woods, but it's still close enough to the city to enjoy the culture. The problem with north is that you will get the occasional freeze or snow, but those areas are much further south than Tyler.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:52 AM

12,876 posts, read 13,186,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Yep. Everyone thinks no income tax is a great idea until they retire and can't afford their house payment any more.
That is true if you live in the Central Austin area. Out in the small town 'burbs, not so much.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:06 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,895,911 times
Most of the real winter weather is in west TX. DFW and north tend to get a couple of snow or ice storms a year (more ice though). I'm in the Houston area and we haven't seen any winter weather of significance since 2009. Keep in mind that when we do get cold weather, it is damp cold 99% of the time. Weather in the 40s and 50s can be much more uncomfortable than weather in the 30s in drier places. This year's winter (which lasted about 3 days) was highly unusual in that it was cold, sunny and dry simultaneously. That almost never happens here. The good thing for you is that cold weather doesn't last long - it will be back in the 60s before you know it.

People will tell you to look at the Hill country, and that is fine. But there are other nice areas too. As was mentioned, Bellville is nice and I think Brenham is too. I also like the Gonzales/Cuero/Goliad area. Don't discount East TX either as there are some nice somewhat hilly and heavily wooded areas in that region. If you want long, open roads and don't care if the towns are small, check out Alpine and Marfa.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:18 PM

10,955 posts, read 7,008,714 times
I'm not sure the OP is reading and keeping up. It's been about 5 days since the original post, and no comments. I know that whenever I start a thread at least, I'm checking in frequently and interacting.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:29 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,202,958 times
Go to where the work is.

We live North of Austin, and my house has gone up in value a ton.

If you put my house in a Tampa, FL suburb, it would cost almost HALF.

It is generally cheaper to live on the Gulf coast area of Florida than Austin.

The housing in Tampa area won't appreciate as rapidly as Austin, but some people see it as more stable.

I have been down in Austin area for 5 years, moved from NY.

After year 4-5, the Winters here can be described as all over the place. One day it is 20 degrees, then the next is 70-80 degrees, and it goes up and down all winter.

You then settle into a warm pattern, then a hot pattern for most of the year.

Tampa is a more predictable warm temp without the crazy swings.

Coming from NJ, you will think housing taxes are NOT BAD. I think they are not bad coming from NY and owning property there. No state income tax in FLORIDA or TEXAS, that is like getting a raise in your weekly paycheck permanently.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:31 AM

9 posts, read 12,584 times
Jh6 thank you for the breakdown of the 2 states and the adverse affects of weather and property values. I was hoping to hear from someone who experienced my weather. I live off a tax free pension and I'll probably be looking for something around $225,000 mark. As far as the remarks Thoreau said( not sure if you meant that sarcastically) but I do have a life and kids and a household to take care of and I cannot monitor the status of my post. And a **** you if you did mean that sarcastically. To all of the rest of you who replied, thank you because it gives me more cities/ locations to research. And my comment I said to Thoreau, was for him/her only! Thank You all again for your informative replies and all around good natured way at looking at things. Please keep the replies coming because I will be asking more about other towns that you suggested.. God Bless...

Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,265,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemarine View Post
Jh6 thank you for the breakdown of the 2 states and the adverse affects of weather and property values. I was hoping to hear from someone who experienced my weather. I live off a tax free pension and I'll probably be looking for something around $225,000 mark. As far as the remarks Thoreau said( not sure if you meant that sarcastically) but I do have a life and kids and a household to take care of and I cannot monitor the status of my post. And a **** you if you did mean that sarcastically. To all of the rest of you who replied, thank you because it gives me more cities/ locations to research. And my comment I said to Thoreau, was for him/her only! Thank You all again for your informative replies and all around good natured way at looking at things. Please keep the replies coming because I will be asking more about other towns that you suggested.. God Bless...
You are welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas