Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 06:39 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times

Advertisements

I'm sort of the opinion that building a 40' wall from Brownsville to San Diego might be less expensive than trying to buy off the current batch of Congress critters to do their jobs and pass immigration laws that work best for Americans and not them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 06:59 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Well, at least you provided a real suggestion, more than most people here saying "I Support the Wall". It's great as an idea until you start to look at it in detail.

So, you think they are not in the country? Really?

So, just leave them there and they will go back on their own? That's a bit naive if you are serious about this. I Can guarantee you that will not happen! They will find a way over it, under it, use ropes a ladder whatever. Don't doubt these peoples' resolve. They traveled over 2000 miles to get here, do you honestly think they would just sit there and wait or go back.

FYI, there are gaps in the fence, it is not continuous. At least in our area, there are. They are trying to fix that as we speak but it will not be perfect, it never is.

The only real solution is to prevent them from coming in the first place. Make it better for them at home. You may say, their countries' problems are not our problem. Oh, but wait, I think it IS our problem or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

When you are talking about areas where there is a river, you cannot build it that close. There are logistical problems to consider, flooding etc.

Trump’s Border Wall Could Cause Deadly Flooding in Texas. Federal Officials Are Planning to Build It Anyway
Well, if they're stuck in no man's land (strip between the river and the wall), they're damn sure not driving down main street of say, Tulsa, OK.

Sure, they are determined to get in but so is a burglar who is breaking into your home. Do you refuse to put locks on your doors simply because a determined burglar can certainly get past those? I mean seriously, by using your logic of it's got to be 100% foolproof or it's not worth bothering with, I think your expression of being in a pickle is understated. Furthermore, we might as well do away with gadgets (from locks to mousetraps to ???) in this country that is not working 100%. Wow, can't even imagine the unemployment figures on this one.

The wall is just an added layer of protection. It doesn't mean BP will no longer exist, etc

I'm also in favor using of deadly force in the measures taken to control our borders. A bad reputation does have it's merits at times. I know there are some countries I sure wouldn't want to be caught trying to sneak into and I'm not the only one either. People know better. Why? Consequences.

As to the US taking on the world (exaggerated I know) all I can say to that is dear Lord. We can't even take care of our own problems, yet you suggest we solve the problems in these other countries, make it nicer for them. We have homeless people, unemployed, homeless veterans, seniors who cannot afford their medications, unwanted children, crime out the yang, yang and you say we need to make it better for these immigrants in their own countries so they don't want to come here. Well hell yeah, make it so nice there that we will be trying to smuggle into their country illegally.

It's this type of reasoning that usually prevents me from committing too much on subjects like this one. But it's never too late to exit out which is what I'm going to do. Besides, it's out of my pay grade to solve the problems of the US and more importantly, take on the problems of various countries and make it nicey, nice for all the poor downtrodden people of the world. I feel sorry for a lot of these people, but charity begins at home and we need to take care of our own first.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:39 PM

502 posts, read 391,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We're not talking about people who come here through legal channels though.
That's the vast majority at this point though, so if that's not the crisis you speak of then there is no crisis at the border...

Old 02-18-2019, 08:43 PM

502 posts, read 391,794 times
If any of you believe in hell, life in many countries around the world is pretty close to a semblance of that just fyi.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
"Hidalgo County Sheriff J.E. “Eddie” Guerra, who is in charge of policing the largest and most populous county in the Rio Grande Valley, said that crime rates in his county are at record lows, and that illegal immigration has very little effect on the safety of residents. Meanwhile, Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson, who is responsible for policing the largest county in Texas, said he doesn’t support the construction of a wall along any part of the 192-mile stretch of border in Brewster County, which includes Big Bend National Park."

https://www.texasobserver.org/texas-...oHSaQEopGRTohA

Old 02-19-2019, 07:06 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
It's been established there is support and non support for the border wall. It's the same as it is in any big decision in the country. Everyone has their own opinion and that's good for open discussion.

We have people who could care less because they feel it hasn't affected them, so just let things be. We have people who have been directly affected in various ways who are definitely in favor of whatever it takes to put a stop to unknowns entering our country illegally.

Take you for example. Maybe today you are against the wall, maybe you are for it, maybe you're just on the fence about it. Say tonight a band of illegal immigrants break into your barn and steal all your tack which you paid a good amount of money for and they steal it and sell it for a little of nothing just so they can get a few bucks. If you are against the wall today, tomorrow you might be singing a different tune. Or I don't know, you might say come on back and take the horses next. Take my truck and trailer while you're at it. You might say it could be someone born right down the road who stole from me and you are exactly right. It could be considered another point in the discussion, the fact we have our fair share of crime as it is. I'm not saying everyone coming across the border is a criminal, but I will say if they come in here and have no money, no place to go, no food to eat, they are going to rectify that and not all of them are going to turn themselves in so you and I and all the rest of the taxpayers can provide for them.

That's just an off the wall example. It (like anything) can always be worse. You could very easily be killed in the burglary. We've all heard about different individuals killed by an illegal immigrant and we all sympathize and go on our way. If it is brought up in a debate when discussing the border wall, it is shot down as oh, I know, and that was horrible, but it's an isolated case. Maybe for someone sitting pretty a few hundred miles away, but it was not and still is not isolated to the victims.

People talk about how bad it is in the countries these people are fleeing from. I understand that and I sympathize, but are we prepared to take on every person from every horrible hellhole in the world? No, we are not. It's not that we are insensitive, we are just not capable of doing it. Are we empowered to go into every one of this countries, dispose of the evil dictator and restructure their entire country? No, we are not. So, you ask, what's the answer. I don't know, but when you find it maybe then you can tell me why my neighbor has a bigger house and more money than me, why my best friend is better looking than me, why your kids are smarter than mine, why you have a better job than me why , . . why . . .why . .

I do know we have to keep forging on, looking for better solutions to problems and at least keep trying to solve known problems rather than just say, oh well, it won't work anyway.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:34 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
If any of you believe in hell, life in many countries around the world is pretty close to a semblance of that just fyi.
So the answer is to make everywhere in the world like that?

Old 02-19-2019, 11:40 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
"Hidalgo County Sheriff J.E. “Eddie” Guerra, who is in charge of policing the largest and most populous county in the Rio Grande Valley, said that crime rates in his county are at record lows, and that illegal immigration has very little effect on the safety of residents. Meanwhile, Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson, who is responsible for policing the largest county in Texas, said he doesn’t support the construction of a wall along any part of the 192-mile stretch of border in Brewster County, which includes Big Bend National Park."

https://www.texasobserver.org/texas-...oHSaQEopGRTohA
QFT.

The president needs to read this article, but it might be a bit long and full of facts for him.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:19 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
The wall won't stop what brings people across the border. Low-cost labor will continue to be needed and sought out, and the demand in Texas will continue. If they have to be bussed in (in greater numbers), they'll do that and simply go around the damned wall.

The overpriced nightmare only stops the myth of drug dealers and terrorists coming over en masse that exists in some warped brains.

An expensive, wasteful, and foolish wall to fight myths and ghosts. The president doesn't give a flip about Texas or reality.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:30 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
for your information the West Bank wall is concrete and its 20 feet high - look it up i just found tons of pictures with a couple clicks of the mouse - walls work - they may stop 100% the it sure as hell will reduce the illegals a heck of alot
The Israel-West Bank border is 440 miles long
That's less than a 1/4 the length of the US-Mexico border
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas