Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 11:02 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoccieHobNob View Post
I would do logistics work upon moving. Upon becoming a legal resident I would go through the proper procedures. I will look into Brownwood, perhaps I would be better in West Texas and perhaps visiting East Texas on weekend trips.
You do realize that Texas is BIG don't you?

If you lived in Midland, in West Texas and wanted to go to Lake Palestine, near Tyler in East Texas, it would be more than a six hour trip on Interstate 20.

How Big Is Texas, Compared to Other Land Masses?

If you superimposed Texas over Europe, it would go from west of Paris into Slovakia, and from Hamburg down to just north of Rome. Lots of space and scenery and weather to choose from.

Just making sure you know the facts. ;-)

If y'all make the move, then let me say Howdy! and welcome to Texas.

Not so many saloons here in Texas, but we do have bars.
Not as many rodeos as there used to be either, but we still have a few. Not just the big ones in Houston, Fort Worth, and Mesquite, but little towns and counties across the state as well.
The suburbs and rural areas tend to be more conservative and the cities tend to more liberal.
The suburbs usually have the better public schools, with the rural and big city districts lagging behind.
If you really want mountains, then from West Texas, the Rocky Mountains/skiing are fairly close in New Mexico and Colorado or the Ozarks or Ouachita mountains are in Arkansas for hiking/camping/fishing.

Overall, not as many of us Texas born that trace our roots several generations; lots of folks coming here from all over the US as well as from other countries. Don't fret that you will miss your favorite curries, you can find some tasty ones here, but out Tex-Mex and chili and barbecue aren't to be missed either. (Real Texas chili does not contain beans and barbecue is mostly slow smoked beef with some sausage, chicken, and pork)

Good Luck as you gather information and make decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 01:40 PM

44 posts, read 42,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
You do realize that Texas is BIG don't you?

If you lived in Midland, in West Texas and wanted to go to Lake Palestine, near Tyler in East Texas, it would be more than a six hour trip on Interstate 20.

How Big Is Texas, Compared to Other Land Masses?

If you superimposed Texas over Europe, it would go from west of Paris into Slovakia, and from Hamburg down to just north of Rome. Lots of space and scenery and weather to choose from.

Just making sure you know the facts. ;-)

If y'all make the move, then let me say Howdy! and welcome to Texas.

Not so many saloons here in Texas, but we do have bars.
Not as many rodeos as there used to be either, but we still have a few. Not just the big ones in Houston, Fort Worth, and Mesquite, but little towns and counties across the state as well.
The suburbs and rural areas tend to be more conservative and the cities tend to more liberal.
The suburbs usually have the better public schools, with the rural and big city districts lagging behind.
If you really want mountains, then from West Texas, the Rocky Mountains/skiing are fairly close in New Mexico and Colorado or the Ozarks or Ouachita mountains are in Arkansas for hiking/camping/fishing.

Overall, not as many of us Texas born that trace our roots several generations; lots of folks coming here from all over the US as well as from other countries. Don't fret that you will miss your favorite curries, you can find some tasty ones here, but out Tex-Mex and chili and barbecue aren't to be missed either. (Real Texas chili does not contain beans and barbecue is mostly slow smoked beef with some sausage, chicken, and pork)

Good Luck as you gather information and make decisions.
Texas is friggin' huge. I live in the middle of England and it'd take me just overnan hour to get to the eastern side of the country (east Anglia).

We're aiming to visit in August this year should be a wonderful 2 weeks.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:12 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
I will warn you that it's ungodly hot in Texas in August. I would advise investing in some Bullfrog sunscreen. It offers a combo waterproof sunscreen and insect repellent. You're pale British skin will burn, you will sweat way more than you're used to, and lots of parts of Texas have a big mosquito problem. I have quite a few local British friends and a lot of them find as many excuses as possible to get away from the heat of Texas during the summer. My best friend packs up her kids and goes back to England to live with her family during her kids' summer break. My other best friend is married to a guy from England. They're looking to buy a summer home near the beach in FL to get away from the summer heat. He's able to telecommute. August in Texas isn't for the faint of heart. You're smart to come then because it will give you dose of reality regarding whether Texas is a good choice for you.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:23 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
August in Texas isn't for the faint of heart. You're smart to come then because it will give you dose of reality regarding whether Texas is a good choice for you.
Yep, best time for them to come for that reason.

Also, I recommend you buy some goldbond and apply it to your nether regions while here in August. Makes things a lot more pleasant down there.

If you're in the Houston area, send me a private message and I'll buy you a beer while you're here.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:52 AM

44 posts, read 42,361 times
I have been amongst 60-70 and have been fine. As long as the suns not in my eyes I am fine, the additional heat I will find in Texas will be interesting.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:41 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
I have been amongst 60-70 and have been fine. As long as the suns not in my eyes I am fine, the additional heat I will find in Texas will be interesting.
Its not so much the heat in much of the state as the combination of heat and humidity. But if you are British Army, you've probably trained at some point in jungle warfare.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:45 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
I love how the Brits understate things. ("merely a flesh wound")

HobNob, I think you're going to like Texas. Once you leave the urban (& suburban) areas, there is an independent, friendly & humorous quality to the people that you'll enjoy. (& a ruggedness to much of the country). You are getting a lot of good advice. Here are some similar threads that might provide some additional good general information on various areas of Texas:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...member-uk.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...io-dallas.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...hree-week.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ted-texas.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...own-texas.html

Random thoughts as I read this thread.

1. There are dozens of medium sized towns (that are interesting, not terribly expensive, are county seats and might have some of the items that you're looking for) that might be a good fit for you. I'd drive around and visit some of them. Off the top of my head:

Lampasas, Brady, Mason, Gonzales, Seguin, Stephenville, La Grange, New Braunfels, Halletsville, Schulenbeg, Nacogdoches, San Angelo, Abilene, Kerrville, Bandera. (Probably 3 dozen others).

2. Prepare yourself for India Hot.

3. Read up on (& listen to) Texas music & Red Dirt music before you come. (Be familiar with Doug Sahm, Waylon Jennings, Jerry Jeff Walker, Robert Earl Keen, Steve Earle & a dozen others.)

4. Have a list of BBQ, home town cafes & Tex Mex "joints" that you'll want to visit as you travel around Texas.

5. Get the "Texas Travel Guide" (it's free) & visit the Texas Courthouse website (which also describes all the little towns that surround our best courthouses).

Good Luck.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:39 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Also, I recommend you buy some goldbond and apply it to your nether regions while here in August. Makes things a lot more pleasant down there.
Nah, he'll need Anti Monkey Butt Powder. Was the best powder in use with troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. I've sworn by it ever since it came out. Beats Gold Bond by a long shot. Good conversation starter, too.....

Other things you'll need:

A wide-brim hat. Texas sun is intense, and a baseball cap won't do. You'll need to protect your face, ears and neck. Plenty available here, if you don't already have one.

Sunglasses. No matter the season, Texas sunlight is seriously bright. You need to protect your eyes.

HobNob, if you haven't already, go here: https://www.uscis.gov Click on Green Card and on Working In the US for the basics on the paperwork nut roll you'll have to go through to immigrate.

Meanwhile, enjoy your August visit, and if you're going to be anywhere near New Braunfels, let me know. I'll buy you a brew or two (beer).

One suggestion: don't confine your visit to only the central part of Texas. If you're interested in a conservative area that meets the movie cowboy image, plan a trip to Amarillo. It's smack in the middle of what we call the High Plains: high altitude plains, where ranches and farms butt up against each other and the city is surrounded by same. If you've ever heard about historic Route 66, it goes through Amarillo.

There's also the second largest canyon in the US, Palo Duro Canyon State Park, you might find interesting, about 12 miles southeast of Amarillo, and due east of Canyon (where the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum can keep you mesmerized for days with its extensive historical displays).

Again, enjoy your trip, and good luck with the immigration plans.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:43 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:
70F feels a lot different than 100+F for days on end with little to no shade outside

Old 02-10-2017, 03:06 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
70F feels a lot different than 100+F for days on end with little to no shade outside
Here in the Dallas area, it is the fact that summer temps seldom drop below 80*F, even overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas