Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:18 PM

251 posts, read 710,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That being said ,Texas State is the 3rd largest university in Texas
Uh, I thought size went something like....
University of Texas
Texas A&M
University of North Texas
University of Houston
UT-San Antonio
Texas Tech
Texas State.
Am I wrong on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
Uh, I thought size went something like....
University of Texas
Texas A&M
University of North Texas
University of Houston
UT-San Antonio
Texas Tech
Texas State.
Am I wrong on this?
Looks like I was wrong.

Looks like the list should look like this

UT
A&M
UNT/UH 35k each
Tech/Texas State/UTSA 28k each

Someone had told me they had taken 3rd largest and given the growth the campus has had, I did not even think twice about that being incorrect.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 PM

42 posts, read 177,475 times
I am working on my MBA right now at SMU and I can tell you that Tx State is not very highly thought of by the admissions office here.

SMU is a fairly strong MBA program and it is difficult to get into. There are a lot of UT and A&M people here. Also, there are a lot of people out of state here. There is one Texas Tech person here and I don't know of anyone that went to Texas State.

Here are the MBA program rankings, fyi.

18 UT
29 Texas A&M
40 Rice
44 SMU

All other programs in Texas unrated

Search - Business - Best Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2005 View Post
I am working on my MBA right now at SMU and I can tell you that Tx State is not very highly thought of by the admissions office here.

SMU is a fairly strong MBA program and it is difficult to get into. There are a lot of UT and A&M people here. Also, there are a lot of people out of state here. There is one Texas Tech person here and I don't know of anyone that went to Texas State.

Here are the MBA program rankings, fyi.

18 UT
29 Texas A&M
40 Rice
44 SMU

All other programs in Texas unrated

Search - Business - Best Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report
You are probably right on that account and hopefully the infusion of cash from McCoys will them get a good program started.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:33 AM

42 posts, read 177,475 times
btw, I just wanted to say that this is the feeling I get from the admissions office regarding schools, not that I think that it is fair or accurate. Reputations, good or bad, aren't always deserved.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
Texas State - formerly Southwest Texas University. Known party school.
Ah, I was wondering. I'd never heard of Texas State!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 AM

297 posts, read 896,508 times
Howdy. I attended SWTSU from 1967 - 71, and did graduate . It's a different school now in terms of size. Yes it has a "Party School" reputation that was earned, by some students ... most Universities do to some extent. In truth, all Universities have strong and weak departments and/or colleges. When I was at SWT the chemistry department could hold it's own with anyone. The business department was considered a joke (AT THAT TIME). Keep in mind, as another poster has mentioned (a fellow Aggie I believe) that reputations change more slowly than reality.

Again, as mentioned by another, look at programs and their reputations ... not just the "School." My perspective comes from 26 years of reviewing perspective graduate students ... not from a business hiring perspective ... FWIW.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
once known as SWT== now Texas State (like a name change will make it a top-notch school) == has three departments that are good--maybe not excellant but are quality programs--creative writing program and one in Southwest studies, a developing theater program, and a good speech pathology program (but its dean was a snot when my daughter took his intro class).

like many schools it does not have the reputation for its grads that schools like TAMU and UTA and TTech have and frankly I don't think there is the alumni network where the former graduates are in positions to hire people from their schools---
McCoys has two guys working for the company for a long, long time--from the 70s--who graduated from SWT--one of them is now an executive vp for them--my husband went to school with them at SWT when he got his business degree like they did

Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
Texas State (formally known as SWT) was the VD capital of Texas in the early eighties. While my dad was going to UT Austin at the time, he was friends with a nurse at SWT. The university estimates were that some 80% of the student body had some form of VD. Yuck. But hey, SWT is where George Strait got his career started. He played alot of shows in San Marcus before he broke big time.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:24 AM

297 posts, read 896,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Texas State (formally known as SWT) was the VD capital of Texas in the early eighties. While my dad was going to UT Austin at the time, he was friends with a nurse at SWT. The university estimates were that some 80% of the student body had some form of VD. Yuck. But hey, SWT is where George Strait got his career started. He played alot of shows in San Marcus before he broke big time.
80%? Can you supply data for this please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas