U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 AM

16,498 posts, read 22,967,292 times

Advertisements

We live in Williamson County, have always had our inspections done in either Williamson or Travis County depending (husband until he retired had a business in Travis and given that he was often there 12 or more hours 7 days a week, it was more convenient for him to have it done there).
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 AM

8,567 posts, read 5,213,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Did you have your registration sticker ready to go? Did the one on the windshield and the new one have two different counties on them? I like my inspection and registration stickers to be neatly applied to the windshield and be in line with each other, but since my registration expires before my inspection, it is hard to expect the inspector to take as much time as do to apply the sticker so it looks neat. I probably take 15 or 20 minutes to razor off the old sticker, apply goo gone so all residue is gone, and then apply my new sticker flush with the inspection sticker.
Yes, I had already received my updated Vehicle Registration and took with me to the inspection. The Vehicle Regis in the window indicated a Dallas county registration, the one in my hand said Bell county. I pointed that out to the inspector who understood my intent to replace the Registration sticker at the same time as the Inspection sticker.
Quote:
A key to my success in proving I had moved was that I also had my new registration in hand which showed Bell County. My intent there was for the Inspector to replace both stickers at completion of the inspection
Both Vehicle and Inspection stickers have 4 month expiration. I've tried replacing the Regis sticker myself but usually turned out a bit goofy so now I just leave it to the inspector and hope for the best. The same guy has been doing my inspection for five years now and does a good job in sticker placement.

THL - I suspect Williamson and Travis counties have the same standards so in your case crossing county line wouldn't be an issue. But at this point I've exhausted my understanding of the state inspection requirements.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 AM

Wait, what do you mean both vehicle and inspection stickers have 4 month expiration? They're each good for 12 months!

Now you've confused me!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 AM

8,567 posts, read 5,213,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Wait, what do you mean both vehicle and inspection stickers have 4 month expiration? They're each good for 12 months!

Now you've confused me!
Sorry !!! 4... as in April. My scheme to have the inspector do the sticker replacement keeps me up date in having the inspection done on time. I wouldn't want a Vehicle expiration of 4 and an inspection expiration of 5. Then I'd be the confused one.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 AM

Oh! Okay, I knew there had to be something I was missing!

It's easy enough to have your inspection done early to make it match your registration month. Not possible to change the registration month of your vehicle. (I'm sure you know that, tofurkey, but anyone wondering about inspection in general might not.)

Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 AM

995 posts, read 1,463,196 times
My registration is:

8 12

My inspection is

9 12

So yeah.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 AM

12,766 posts, read 10,814,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
I like my inspection and registration stickers to be neatly applied to the windshield and be in line with each other
You know, my stickers don't line up, and they expire in different months, and I can honestly say, I've never lost a night's sleep over it.

Just call me a bad-ass.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:00 AM

4,074 posts, read 4,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
When I was managing this type of racket...

'84+ require catalytic convertors to pass ''visual emissions'', which is part of the safety check. '68+ require PCV/breather systems to pass, too. (If you bypass PCV/breather, you're an idiot in my book.)

25 yrs old or older ('83 & older this year) don't require an emissions TEST. When '95's become 25 yrs or older, the dyno machine shops have may just become a $40k paperweight. Though, they are still valuable as real-time, 5-gas analyzers to diagnose running/tuning problems, or optimum drag-racing settings. I think the dyno can be run to test horsepower with the right software, and that type of dyno time is expensive.

When '84+ models become emissions exempt, they still have to have a cat attached to the exhaust system to pass safety! How to bypass this? Hollow out by scraping or shattering. Shattering works with some persistence... pretty soon the honeycombs will start flying!

Ya, it's been a while but this is how things was done back when I worried about this sorta thing. That and you had to do your testing in your county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas