Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times

Advertisements

if you're interested in spi, you might check out port isabel. it's right across from the island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Sounds like you have a good plan. I wouldn't discount SPI because of the cost of living until you've checked it out. Although it's prime coastal real estate, it's still the Rio Grande Valley. No offense intended to anyone--I love the area. And, as someone said above, look around Port Isabel and some of the little communities just west of there. I also wouldn't discount Rockport/Port Aransas/Aransas Pass because of what that one poster was saying. I'm sure there's drug use and dealing but I doubt if it's any worse there than it is anywhere else. Aransas Pass has a more working class feel to it while Port Aransas is more touristy and Rockport feels more retirement/resort-ish. Also, if you do look around Corpus Christi, drive around Flour Bluff some. Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but FB has some interesting neighborhoods.

Good luck with it all!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Port Lavaca. It's small, but not too small and it's not overrun with tourists.
I read a little travel article on Port Lavaca....& it sounded like a cool weekend visit. Nicely out of the way & it sounds like it's a real town (as opposed to a street with motels.

I'm gonna check it out.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
i had a friend who worked briefly in port lavaca. she was miserable there--most of the housing is run down trailers & there is the constant threat of explosions and release of toxic gases from the plants. the nearest full size supermarket is all the way in victoria. a very depressed, & depressing, area.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:08 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
I would build a weekend retreat on Tiki Island, near Galveston. If I decide on a regular home, it would be further inland.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:13 PM

493 posts, read 636,645 times
Port Aransas

Old 05-19-2009, 02:46 PM

9 posts, read 18,553 times
Port Lavaca -

Is the air full of polution from the plants?
Does it actually eat the paint off your car?
Will trees and flowers grow there?
Does the sky ever clear up to show clouds and sun?
Every pic I see is overcast and gloomy?

Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbeachdogs View Post
Port Lavaca -

Is the air full of polution from the plants?
Does it actually eat the paint off your car?
Will trees and flowers grow there?
Does the sky ever clear up to show clouds and sun?
Every pic I see is overcast and gloomy?
That's probably a question that would be partially answered in and better to ask in a Port Lavaca thread, like the thread at the link below.

Port Lavaca Info

Old 05-19-2009, 05:42 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,028,593 times
I would say Port Aransas or the South Padre area. I've been to Port Aransas several times and SPI as well and love both of them. Port Aransas is close to Corpus Christi and SPI is close to Harlingen and Brownsville so I don't think you could go wrong with either area.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Port O'Connor. That would be my getaway along the coast.

On a foggy night at the docks, I could still get H-town TV stations on the boat very well. Better than anything from the south by far.

When I was last there, there was some pretty sweet houses going up along the ICW that we'd pass by on the way out the Matagorda jetties. They rebuilt quite well after Hurricane Gilbert, if that was the storm that did the damage down there.

I will never miss that bottleneck on the way out, though. If you've never been in a 100-foot long, 75-ton crewboat and heading offshore at 4AM and had the nose end of the boat pointing straight up at the moon, you don't want to experience that landing.

Otherwise, I may have been "that guy" who's mentioned that most of the bigger coastal communities are full of bums and druggies, which is why I wouldn't bother with any of them. Maybe they cleaned up since I last worked offshore in 05....who knows. But, I'm not hugely people friendly, so that that fwiw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas