Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,276 times

Advertisements

So we finally got the appraisal back from our home after waiting 2 weeks. The house appraised as long as we make the required repairs. Most of the repairs are for peeling paint. The lender sent pictures of the items that are peeling. In the pictures there are arrows pointing to the exact area of the peeling paint. My question is, do we only have to repair the areas where the arrows are pointing to or do we have to completely repair the entire area. For instance, one of the porch steps has peeling paint and the others do not. Can we just repair that one step or do we have to repair all of them? Same thing with our detached laundry room. The pictures show specific areas not the entire area of the laundry room. The written aspect of it says the following: (several typos) Also, this is an FHA Loan.

Scrape, prine and paint all exterior areas that show peeling paint which includes but is not limited to:

1) Entire exterior of garage

2) Interior of laundry room

3) Laundry room door and jamb

4) Wood cabinets on interior of garage

5) Wood framework under carport

6) Front porch steps and porch perimeter

7) Front porch posts

8) Interior door jamb in bathroom

9) Wood porch cover at laundry entrance

10) Replace vinyl siding trip on NE corner of house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 03:58 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,299,354 times
I don't understand. Are you buying this house, in which case you could ask the seller for a price adjustment to cover the cost of repainting? Or are you selling it, in which case you have a free choice to paint, or to reduce the price. Or are you refinancing, in which case I don't know what to say.

At any rate, if you need to repaint you need to repaint. You mentioned one porch step with peeling paint and one without. Obviously you need to scrape prime and paint all the porch, not just one spot. If the rest of it isn't peeling it will be soon. If you pay a professional painter they will simply laugh at you if you propose to spot repaint like this.

The descriptions of what needs to be repainted sound like just normal wear and tear; you didn't show anything like "major support beams rotted through, need replaced and house re-leveled in that area". I have never heard of someone's load being contingent on what I think of as repainting due to normal wear and tear, but there's a lot I haven't heard of.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:54 AM

8 posts, read 5,221 times
I agree with Turf3. You have some options. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:42 PM

577 posts, read 662,067 times
You should be able to only paint the specific areas that have peeling paint. If only one step has it, then that's all that needs to be done, not the whole staircase.

FHA doesn't require the whole area repainted. Check with your lender to be sure.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,276 times
We are selling this house. Thanks! We have painted everything on the list now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas