U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 06:14 PM

33 posts, read 26,993 times

Advertisements

Fellow Texans. I recently came across a survey showing Texas as the most hated state in the usame. This concershould me because I want to travel and live in other places. I can not deny that I am a native born Texan but I would like to expand my horizons so to speak. What is your experience living in other states? Did you learn to be a low key Texan? I'm thinking this is something I might have to learn how to do. Im 27 years old looking to move to Arizona mostly for the outdoor activities and the destinations within driving distance, ie California, Las Vegas, and the many state parks and natural formations in arizona. Anyhow usually when the subject of sports comes up if I even mention the Cowboys I get ghosted. I've had potential partners stop talking to me simply because I'm a Cowboys fan. How is that fair? I even tell them I like other team because I do but Cowboys are my favorite. Why do people hate the Cowboys? It makes me wanna cry because the amount of hate we get. I don't know what to do. Im still going to move but I want to hear your experiences. Thank you. Any replies will be appreciated whatever you have to say please speak your mind and please nobody get offended or make this a debate. Simply your experience. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 06:29 PM

1,053 posts, read 634,641 times
I am not a native Texan, but moved here 20 years ago. I LOVE Texas and consider it my home now. Yes, it is true that some people from the western states, Colorado especially, sometimes have issues with Texans primarily due to attitude. They don't want to hear about Texas pride or "we do it this way in Texas."

A lot of people in the mountain states feel the same way about people from California (UT,ID,CO,AZ,NM). I grew up in Utah. If you are chill and low key you will be OK. Then spring your inner Texan on 'em once the know you...lol

I am sure you will be able to find other Cowboy fans in Arizona if you look. Not everyone has this bias and there are nice people everywhere you go. I have found Texans to be very welcoming. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2017, 09:44 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,667,220 times
I never really talked about Texas unless someone asked. I did wear my "TEXAS" shirts and jackets as often as I could, but I don't remember them ever receiving any kind of negative response.

I did however notice that some folks would feign indifference or pretend that their state is as unique as ours. Those people were fun to mess with.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:43 PM

22,209 posts, read 6,002,435 times
I wonder sometimes how I would be treated if I moved out of Texas.I am a native Texan.I have encountered anti-Texan hostility in other states.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:22 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,360,066 times
I was verbally abused by a woman in a coffee shop in Pottland, Oregon. I was wearing a Texas hoodie. I was having a cup of coffee with an old friend. She asked me if I was from Texas and did I like George W Bush? I was polite and said yes I am from Texas. I never met George Bush. Texas is a big state you know. Right after the recent election .... again visiting Portland. A guy walked up to us and said ... so you are from Texas? Its your fault Trump won.... I shrugged that one off. Kinda funny how people perceive Texas and Texans.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:37 AM

33 posts, read 26,993 times
POLL: How Americans Feel About The States - Business Insider
This is the article. Im sure there some people out there who are more down to earth and could care less.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:13 AM

55,484 posts, read 43,861,241 times
My husband and I have both had several negative experiences outside the state.

The worst one I recall actually happened to my husband. He works in the oil and gas industry. There is a lot of oil and gas in areas in the northeast and WV, western PA, etc where the coal industry used to be so prevalent. Well, not many natives up there are oil and gas professionals, but lots of service companies (trucking, less highly skilled jobs that can translate well into an oil and gas environment, etc) have sprung up around the industry. Now there are more people who are being trained and have some experience in oil and gas, but at the time (five or six years ago) most locals didn't have the necessary experience to work in oil and gas. Consequently (and even now to some extent - my husband still works up there a lot), you'd have a mixture of skilled and experienced oil and gas personnel on a location, mixed in with a group of newbies who were locals. Most of the skilled, management level folks are from Texas, Oklahoma, etc - not from the local areas. That's no one's fault - it's just the way it is.

Now - I can't recall the exact acronym used, but I think it was TAFT - This Ain't F#@$ing Texas. Anyway, the locals started actually showing up with TAFT written on their hardhats. See, they don't want to learn a new way to make money - they want coal back. You'd think they'd be happy that when the coal industry died, at least there was still a way to make money up there (and one that was less dangerous and less destructive to their environment but I digress) but instead a lot of them really have a chip on their shoulder.

Language:
Spoiler
https://stickerheads.com/this-aint-****ing-texas-taft-taft-stickers-p-1993.html

The ones in the silly TAFT "movement" were the worst - insolent, dismissive, and frankly bitter. In other words, NOT good employees. When my husband got to a new location, he told every single one of them that TAFT was not allowed on that location and if he saw anyone with that acronym on their clothing, truck, etc they would no longer be working on that location.

Another time, I was visiting my daughter in Colorado Springs, CO. Her husband was stationed at the Air Force Academy there. My daughter and I were off base, at some sort of women's expo somewhere - some place with a lot of booths about makeup, candles, etc. I think it was some sort of "Girls Night Out" business expo. Anyway, we were standing in a sort of line behind two women who were talking very loudly. One of them said something like, "AND WHAT ABOUT TEXAS? GAWD, I HATE THAT STATE. THE PEOPLE THERE ARE SOOOOOOO REDNECK AND BACKWARDS. I NEVER HEARD ANYONE TALK SO SLOWLY IN MY LIFE. AND JUST THE OVERALL ATTITUDE - I WAS SO GLAD TO LEAVE THERE AND NEVER LOOK BACK."

I was looking at her and her friend and listening to her loud, ignorant talk and thinking, "Why honey, you ain't nuthin' but a little ol' mess of white trash yourself," but I didn't say it. Instead, she just stopped moving, blocking the aisle with her wide behind and big purse, and I just slid up behind her and said in my Texas drawl, "Excuse me, please." Now I wish I'd said something more like, "Excuse me, please. This Texan needs to get past your wide self."

The thing that really struck me about her loud opinion was this - Colorado Springs is a military town and a city of transplants. The odds are very high that someone in your close vicinity is from Texas. Why be so loud and obnoxious about your negative opinions, especially in a crowded public place?

Low class.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-27-2017 at 07:23 AM..

Old 03-27-2017, 08:51 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,728,110 times
I used to live and work overseas and traveled the world in my job, living for short periods of time in places like the Middle East and Africa. This was in the late 70s when the TV series Dallas was still running. When confronted by someone with the question: "Where are you from?" I would always answer "Texas" rather than "U.S.A" and invariably I'd get a reaction such as: "Do you know J. R.?"

An aside: I was watching an episode of Dallas on my hotel room TV in Japan and all of the voices had been replaced by Japanese speakers - speaking Japanese, of course. Very funny experience!

Old 03-27-2017, 09:10 AM

13,798 posts, read 30,637,839 times
*shrug* Most people are quite able to separate an individual person from the stereotype of their particular state. A few times that I have heard negative comments, it has either been in conjunction with someone buying me a beer or their friend next to them rolling their eyes and apologizing for the friends behavior.

In short, if a person is only able to identify you as identical to the last person to run for president or the latest idiot in the governors mansion, then you probably don't really need to worry about their opinion anyway. They are actually much less numerous than you would think.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:12 AM

2,316 posts, read 4,617,243 times
I moved to Maine in the mid to late 1990's in an attempt to woo a woman. (We've been married 19 years). I am a critical care RN and at the time I moved up there had 7 years experience, which is substantial if you ply your craft seeking to become better every day (you can be a pretty darn good RN if you work at it in a 5 year span).

Anyway, you can imagine this East Texas drawl coming across to them New England blue bloods. They treated me as though my IQ was equivalent to the number of digits on my hands. I have all 10. After I made some pretty good calls/actions They were more just nondescript toward me vs openly demeaning. I actually became well respected by the Chief of Staff MD/Neurosurgeon of the hospital after I caught an early blossoming subdural hemorrhage saving the patient's life. I had persons in the unit on my shift actually go around and invite people right in front of me to their outdoor "Bar B Q" (they were really just grilling), they skipped the 2 non-Mainers, my wife and I. BTW, my wife was not an arrogant Texan but a Canuck from New Brunswick.

When traveling thru NY I have always worn my Cowboy's cap with its blue star ... got a few comments but nothing too glaring.

BTW, most Canadians like Texans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas