Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:05 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,178,484 times

Advertisements

What are the major differences between living in Dallas and Houston (besides humidity in HOU)? Which is more sophisticated?

If a liberal individual has a choice of living in either city/area which would you suggest and why?

thank you in advance

Old 03-06-2008, 02:26 PM

15 posts, read 74,876 times
I am going to vote for Houston as more liberal. I have lived there in the past but have not lived in Dallas. Just basing it on having lived in Houston. I think Houston is more sophisticated, because it is a more wordly place and isn't so texocentric. Being a port city, Houston has wordly influences and knows it isn't the center of the entire planet. I think it makes it more accepting to try new things and ways. I think the Dallas people are too into themselves and their city. JMHO.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,789,612 times
They are both about the same regarding how liberal they are. Liberal in the close-in neighborhoods, conservative in the suburbs. You can check out the voting trend county-by-county on CNN, and that will tell you which areas are liberal. More Obama votes = more liberal.

Austin, Dallas, and Houston, at least the primary county (where the city limits are located) were all about 60/40 in favor of Obama.

As far as sophistication, they are different -- but it depends on what feel you are looking for. To me, neither city feels particularly "Texan". Houston feels international and multicultural, and Dallas feels a bit more midwestern and cleaner. Houston feels a bit more dense with higher traffic. DFW has sprawl down to an art form, but with all that space comes some comfort that people like. And the city center is thriving. Pro teams in Dallas are more fun.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 15,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
What are the major differences between living in Dallas and Houston (besides humidity in HOU)? Which is more sophisticated?

If a liberal individual has a choice of living in either city/area which would you suggest and why?

thank you in advance
HOUSTON is the more liberal of the two I think. I have lived in both places. I am from Houston (katy) and all you have to do is look at Houston City government. Houston is not near as conservative as Dallas.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:39 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,270,000 times
They seem tied...
I'm pretty sure Dallas has a bigger Gay population...and we all know how conservative they are.
They are both pretty liberal...
They are both Politically very similar.
we have Hispanic Lesbian as it's sheriff...
I'm not sure about Houston, but if there was a winner it wouldn't be by an outrageous margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinKat View Post
I think Houston is more sophisticated, because it is a more wordly place and isn't so texocentric. Being a port city, Houston has wordly influences and knows it isn't the center of the entire planet. I think it makes it more accepting to try new things and ways. I think the Dallas people are too into themselves and their city. JMHO.
I would Disagree. Sea port isn't all, Dallas has a larger Airport and receives most of Texas' China goods, and a pretty big chunk of the US ones.
We also get quite a bit from France, Japan, Mexico, and Brazil I believe.
You have a right to your opinion, but some of your statements were...rather...insulting, so I wouldn't be surprised if some other Dallas dude came over here and uh...said a few bad statements...

Old 03-06-2008, 06:06 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,008,861 times
I hate to say it but Houston is probably 'more texocentric'. Dallas, except for little pockets in certain neighborhoods, is liberal. Even the high society people accept gays in a major way. The suburbs however are much more conservative and like to look at Dallas as some sort of scary place where different people actually enjoy each other's company and don't run and hide behind gates if there is a minority child sitting in the next desk.

But please don't call Dallas, "Midwestern"!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:23 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,383,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
But please don't call Dallas, "Midwestern"!
There's Midwestern SU in Wichita Falls. Nice try!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:52 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,635,933 times
I lived in Dallas for two years, much longer in Houston. I'll go with Houston as the kind of liberal I think you mean and here's why:

1) The Heights, Montrose, Museum District, Third Ward, etc. are home to quite a few progressive (for Texas) nonprofits like the Third Ward Bike Shop, Project Row Houses, and projects like Aerosol Warfare, along with a varied music scene(s). Inner Loop Houston feels like a small town so these things are pretty centralized, and not spread out all over creation.

2) U of H, UHD, and Rice U are universities unaffiliated with any religious body in or near downtown, which translates into loads of students hanging out and living in the aforementioned areas.

3) On top of that, "Houston has 600,000 people under the age of 19, the largest such population of any major city in the nation", according to PUSH Houston. The youth culture here is much more visible than in Dallas, and these kids get along amazingly well no matter their backgrounds.

4) KPFT, one of only five Pacifica stations in the nation, is based in Houston because

5) Houston has a long history of "underground" counter-culture activities, dating back to the 1960s/hippie era that continues today. (You can see the Obama volunteer office/Che Guevara flag controversy of last month for a hint of this.)

6) Houston's blue-collar and Southern roots combined with the O&G industry have made for a more laid-back atmosphere. Houston was a "sleepy blues and beer town" that grew astronomically in the 1980s while Dallas was already well-established as THE cosmopolitan, sophisticated Texas city. We have historically had many influxes of immigrants, which has made Houston a crossroads for the South, South Texas/Mexico, etc., rural Texas, and the Southwest. There is a lot of influence from Louisiana here, for example. Cultures here have blended in a way they haven't in Dallas. We have people of all backgrounds living more or less the same lifestyle; putting on airs is not common here. Except for the very upper-crust River Oaks types, most people "mix" in all spheres of life. You can be in a bar standing next to a senator's nephew and never know it unless he told you (I have!). Lack of zoning has probably also had something to do with this.

7) It is not well-known outside the nonprofit world, but Houston has a long history of philanthropy and volunteerism that continues to this day.

8) Houston has a large but intimately incestuous arts community.

9) According to the Alternative Education Resource Organization, Houston has been home to five of Texas' democratic, free schools. The only other one in the state is in Austin.

10) Houston feels more egalitarian and open to new ideas. One example of that is KIPP, a successful charter school for low-income students that started in Houston before going nationwide.

Last edited by houstoner; 03-07-2008 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-07-2008, 10:36 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,728,985 times
>> The suburbs however are much more conservative and like to look at Dallas as some sort of scary place where different people actually enjoy each other's company and don't run and hide behind gates if there is a minority child sitting in the next desk.<<

Plano probably has the most diverse student population - we're not talking just blacks or hispanics, but Asian, Indian and more. I talked to someone from Plano who said that there are 40+ different languages represented in the Plano student population.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:38 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,728,985 times
double post for some reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas