Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 07:19 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I was being sarcastic because the OP said going to Chicago there was culture there but not in D/FW.
Um, I'm the OP and I did not say that. Although this thread did devolve into a Dallas vs. Chicago contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 08:10 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Um, I'm the OP and I did not say that. Although this thread did devolve into a Dallas vs. Chicago contest.
This is what you said " I was expecting DFW to be a big city with big city amenities. It definitely is, but the overall ambiance doesn't really feel like a big city. To me, it feels more like a super spread out and oversized mid-sized city. The main difference I saw is that in a place like NYC or Chicago, you can find places to eat or things to see/do simply by walking by or driving by. I actually found the famous Chicago theater simply because I was walking around. In DFW, since everything is spread out, it makes "naturally" discovering things more difficult. You have to look up things to do on the internet, then make a special trip in the car".

That FIRST sentence your paragraph definitely all about culture (Big city amenities) being much better in Chicago than Dallas. And comparing NYC is ridiculous but the majority of metros in the western hemisphere aren't of the density, wealth and history of that town. Of course, NYC is one of the TEN MOST expensive cities in the world. Chicago has some great things to do but its not even the 2nd city anymore. L.A. has surpassed it globally. In 20 years, assuming no lengthy drought curtails water in Texas, I think D/FW catches Chicago.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

I was expecting DFW to be a big city with big city amenities. It definitely is, but the overall ambiance doesn't really feel like a big city. To me, it feels more like a super spread out and oversized mid-sized city. The main difference I saw is that in a place like NYC or Chicago, you can find places to eat or things to see/do simply by walking by or driving by. I actually found the famous Chicago theater simply because I was walking around. In DFW, since everything is spread out, it makes "naturally" discovering things more difficult. You have to look up things to do on the internet, then make a special trip in the car.

Walker, pay attention.

Your quote is from lepoisson. He dislikes Dallas and loves Chicago. He is NOT the original poster.

This is me, Calgirl. I AM the original poster. I live in Charlotte but we are (even though I am scared to death) moving to Texas. Go back and read the first page. Thank you.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:52 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,264 times
Quote:
Walker, pay attention.

Your quote is from lepoisson. He dislikes Dallas and loves Chicago. He is NOT the original poster.

This is me, Calgirl. I AM the original poster. I live in Charlotte but we are (even though I am scared to death) moving to Texas. Go back and read the first page. Thank you.
No reason to be scared to death!

Two points to consider:

1) if you haven't already done it, a thorough use of the search function would certainly bring up lots of past threads very akin to yours. TX has had a lot of transplants move here in the last 10-20 years and many have shared their impressions in CD.

2) Your mention of being scared to death to move to TX made me realize that we don't know much about you or what your hesitations/ anxieties are, specifically. If you share a bit more about that I would think that more posters will chime in with helpful input. I know I would.

Overall, I, personally, have found TX to be a pleasant surprise. I grew up thinking if there was one place I would not spend much time in my life, it was TX. I have lived in four different states, three different continents and have had the good fortune to travel all over the world. TX is a fine place, IMO. I love my job and the bubble I've carved out here. I think a lot in life depends on the individual more than the place he /she inhabits.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
No reason to be scared to death!

Two points to consider:

1) if you haven't already done it, a thorough use of the search function would certainly bring up lots of past threads very akin to yours. TX has had a lot of transplants move here in the last 10-20 years and many have shared their impressions in CD.

2) Your mention of being scared to death to move to TX made me realize that we don't know much about you or what your hesitations/ anxieties are, specifically. If you share a bit more about that I would think that more posters will chime in with helpful input. I know I would.

Overall, I, personally, have found TX to be a pleasant surprise. I grew up thinking if there was one place I would not spend much time in my life, it was TX. I have lived in four different states, three different continents and have had the good fortune to travel all over the world. TX is a fine place, IMO. I love my job and the bubble I've carved out here. I think a lot in life depends on the individual more than the place he /she inhabits.
Nice reply, thank you.

I have read a lot of old threads and many of them are very negative...about the heat, about the scenery (or lack thereof), etc.

I've lived in Michigan, Washington State, Southern California, Washington DC and the Southeast. I've lived in or near major cities including L.A. and Atlanta (suburbs). I've traveled extensively. I like seeing new places and trying new things. I like the theater and football games; I like gourmet dining and rodeos. I like to read. I like to be outdoors if I'm hanging by my pool or walking on the beach, not running marathons or climbing mountains.

Some of my fears are just generally about moving: did my husband choose the right career option? Will he like his job? Will my kids find friends? How will their new schools be?

Specifically about Dallas: how hard will it be to find a house in such a red hot market? DH is worried it's a huge bubble (we got stung in the 2008 housing bust). How bad is the heat? Is this a big mistake?

Old 04-09-2017, 05:21 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Nice reply, thank you.

I have read a lot of old threads and many of them are very negative...about the heat, about the scenery (or lack thereof), etc.

I've lived in Michigan, Washington State, Southern California, Washington DC and the Southeast. I've lived in or near major cities including L.A. and Atlanta (suburbs). I've traveled extensively. I like seeing new places and trying new things. I like the theater and football games; I like gourmet dining and rodeos. I like to read. I like to be outdoors if I'm hanging by my pool or walking on the beach, not running marathons or climbing mountains.

Some of my fears are just generally about moving: did my husband choose the right career option? Will he like his job? Will my kids find friends? How will their new schools be?

Specifically about Dallas: how hard will it be to find a house in such a red hot market? DH is worried it's a huge bubble (we got stung in the 2008 housing bust). How bad is the heat? Is this a big mistake?
What is your budget for housing in the Metroplex?The heat in Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington will be pretty intense in the summer because of the humidity.Summer lasts longer than 3 months there.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
What is your budget for housing in the Metroplex?The heat in Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington will be pretty intense in the summer because of the humidity.Summer lasts longer than 3 months there.
$450K is our sweet spot, with $475K being our maximum comfortable payment. We could
qualify for more but we don't want to spend that much.

We like Flower Mound because of the schools, commute, and area.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:07 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,264 times
Quote:
Nice reply, thank you.

I understand. Moving, especially when there is kids involved, is a very stress-inducing experience. I've lived in some of the places you mention (WA) and near others (originally from MN) and have spent time in the other places you have lived in. They all have their pluses and their minuses.

One of my favorite things about TX is the amount of sun. It's just right for me. We do get some rain, which is nice, but primarily this is a sunny place, which I greatly appreciate.

Another thing I like is the music. I'm a fan of lots of genres. Something I've grown to really love is TX's long history of strong blues, folk, and non-Nashville country. By the latter, I mean artists like Guy Clark, Willie Nelson, Steve Earle and his son Justin Townes Earle (TX roots for their family), Townes Van Zandt, Waylon Jennings, etc. Texas' contribution to American music, in many genres, is impressive, IMO.

A lot of the things that you list as things you enjoy in life align well with DFW. With a bit of effort and persistence you will carve out a happy existence here, I'm sure of it. Best of luck!

Old 04-09-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post

Another thing I like is the music. I'm a fan of lots of genres. Something I've grown to really love is TX's long history of strong blues, folk, and non-Nashville country. By the latter, I mean artists like Guy Clark, Willie Nelson, Steve Earle and his son Justin Townes Earle (TX roots for their family), Townes Van Zandt, Waylon Jennings, etc. Texas' contribution to American music, in many genres, is impressive, IMO.

A lot of the things that you list as things you enjoy in life align well with DFW. With a bit of effort and persistence you will carve out a happy existence here, I'm sure of it. Best of luck!
Love me some Waylon Jennings. What a voice! "Luckenbach, Texas" has been top of my playlist lately. I also love The Highwaymen. Oh and I love Bruno Mars too so yes I have eclectic tastes.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:55 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
OP, have you considered renting for a year? It would give you a year to make sure you like DFW, kids like the schools, scope out neighborhoods, and can deal with some of your worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas