U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:51 AM

11,879 posts, read 24,767,040 times
Folks, this is turning into a fairly hostile thread. If you can argue the point without stepping over the line it would very much be appreciated. Either that, or I'll be forced to close the thread.

Thank You

Old 03-07-2008, 07:53 AM

8,251 posts, read 11,578,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Did anyone catch this story the other day? How HORRIFIC and those poor children witnessing it. Up until now I had only seen the pictures of the snake well AFTER the family dog was eaten by it. This story ACTUALLY shows part of the poor dog in the snakes clutches. I could hardly look My girls would be HYSTERICAL if they saw this happen to their Chihuahua. Right now she is curled up beside one of them in bed.

Help! A giant python ate my chihuahua... and my cat... and my guinea pig | the Daily Mail
They're going to release that snake into the wild after it gets through digesting a pet chihuahua dinner..?

Either kill it or seal it up alive in something made of steel, padlock it and let it stay that way. Then check the cage in about a year or so to make sure it died!!!

Ewwww. Why in the world would anybody want to keep one of these monsters as a pet is beyond me.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:11 AM

18,970 posts, read 49,568,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
The solution is... if you don't care for Texas culture, sit back and enjoy Chicago while we enjoy Texas and its culture. If you care about the snakes in the roundup, offer a bounty of $25 a head for each live snake, and take them back to Chicago.
I do like Texas culture, but roundups should be ended. There's no need for them. Go ahead and round them up, eat a few if necessary, but stop the killing just to lower their populations. Live and let live. And what I also dont understand is how many of the people who attend and partake in the killings often prance around wearing snakeskin boots, rattle keychains, rattler-head belt buckles, etc. If those people truly think the snakes are cool enough to adorn them as jewelry, why destroy them?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 AM

18,970 posts, read 49,568,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
They're going to release that snake into the wild after it gets through digesting a pet chihuahua dinner..?

Either kill it or seal it up alive in something made of steel, padlock it and let it stay that way. Then check the cage in about a year or so to make sure it died!!!

Ewwww. Why in the world would anybody want to keep one of these monsters as a pet is beyond me.
They make good pets, thats why. If the owners cant be responsible enough to lock the cage, then accidents are bound to happen. The snake is just doing what it does naturally. Same for a cat that kills a pet fish or a pet bird, NO DIFFERENCE. Pythons can be extremely docile and live a long time, and some can have strikingly beautiful patterns, thats why people keep them as pets. My dachshund mauled my chinchilla that escaped, did I get mad? No. Its just as bad as a python eating a chihuahua. But its a snake and it ate something! KILL IT! Right?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 AM

3,494 posts, read 9,432,942 times
to me, the only good snake is a dead snake. i hate em. i even moved to Hawaii one time, simply because of my fear of snakes and there are none in Hawaii. if there were no snakes in Texas, this state would truly be paradise.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 AM

16,176 posts, read 21,827,299 times
The solution is... if you don't care for Texas culture, sit back and enjoy Chicago while we enjoy Texas and its culture. If you care about the snakes in the roundup, offer a bounty of $25 a head for each live snake, and take them back to Chicago.

This is such a brilliant solution that it takes my breath away. Steve-O, perhaps you can get several of your fellow Chicago residents together to work on this project? Not too sure how the snakes would care for Chicago, but it would be a way of putting your money where your mouth is AND reducing the rattlesnake population in areas that are overpopulated with them.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:34 AM

14,874 posts, read 22,654,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
They make good pets, thats why. If the owners cant be responsible enough to lock the cage, then accidents are bound to happen. The snake is just doing what it does naturally. Same for a cat that kills a pet fish or a pet bird, NO DIFFERENCE. Pythons can be extremely docile and live a long time, and some can have strikingly beautiful patterns, thats why people keep them as pets. My dachshund mauled my chinchilla that escaped, did I get mad? No. Its just as bad as a python eating a chihuahua. But its a snake and it ate something! KILL IT! Right?

Umm, the snake in that story was NOT A PET! It ATE the FAMILY PETS. These folks did not own a snake but this snake could not find dinner anywhere else in its natural habitat so it moved onto these peoples property and started eating THEIR PETS. Once it was done w/ those how long would it take to get hungry enough to eat one of their children?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:44 AM

415 posts, read 1,146,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

This is such a brilliant solution that it takes my breath away. Steve-O, perhaps you can get several of your fellow Chicago residents together to work on this project? Not too sure how the snakes would care for Chicago, but it would be a way of putting your money where your mouth is AND reducing the rattlesnake population in areas that are overpopulated with them.
Yes, but isn't Chicago already full to the brim with snakes?

I also wanted to point out that not a lot of snakebites happen in a hospital, so the delay in getting treatment is not always avoidable, as insinuated.

At first, I tried to give Steve the benefit of the doubt because a lot of predators are unfairly singled out while cute non-predators are left to cause all sorts of destruction (think deer and squirrels). However, he's latched on to one idea, pulled it completely out of context, and ignores anything that doesn't support his position.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 AM

15 posts, read 46,101 times
Default This so stinks

The so-called "roundup" is disgusting.

There are species of rattlers there that are from over 300 miles away -- people are traveling far and wide to get "enough" snakes for this bizarre "show."

Take a look at the people who attend -- take a good look at their faces -- they have a slavering look of feeble-minded excitement at the killing of the snakes. It's scary to see the little boys almost pee with glee at all the killing.

This is a black-eye to Texas. And it's done under a LIE -- if snake populations were the concern, then it would be a cottonmouth roundup. But it's all about some kind of old-timey weird nonsense imported from the "hollers" where snake-handling abounds.

Big deal that some people try to eat a piece of the meat. Take a look at the overweight spectators, they ain't exactly hurting for calories.

And if eating the result of the slaughter is all that matters -- let me KILL your PONY after scaring the heck of it, and we'll all have a nice BBQ.

That's it, a PONY ROUNDUP to go with the SNAKE KILLING.

D I S G U S T I N G

Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 AM

14,874 posts, read 22,654,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinKat View Post
The so-called "roundup" is disgusting.

There are species of rattlers there that are from over 300 miles away -- people are traveling far and wide to get "enough" snakes for this bizarre "show."

Take a look at the people who attend -- take a good look at their faces -- they have a slavering look of feeble-minded excitement at the killing of the snakes. It's scary to see the little boys almost pee with glee at all the killing.

This is a black-eye to Texas. And it's done under a LIE -- if snake populations were the concern, then it would be a cottonmouth roundup. But it's all about some kind of old-timey weird nonsense imported from the "hollers" where snake-handling abounds.

Big deal that some people try to eat a piece of the meat. Take a look at the overweight spectators, they ain't exactly hurting for calories.

And if eating the result of the slaughter is all that matters -- let me KILL your PONY after scaring the heck of it, and we'll all have a nice BBQ.

That's it, a PONY ROUNDUP to go with the SNAKE KILLING.

D I S G U S T I N G

Sweetie, Texas is a HUGE state w/ MILLIONS of people that reside w/in her borders. The numbers of people that participate in these "roundups" is grossly insignificant based on the sheer population of the state. Besides, Texas is NOT the only state that does these. Geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas