Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Why on earth do you people allow these murderous acts to take place??? Its bad enough that you hold them, but theyre gaining in popularity and people are encouraging others to attend. You should take pride in your native species and learn about them and respect them rather than eradicate them and teach others that its ok to round up snakes and abuse them and hack them up. If youd like to see these barbaric/senseless/murderous acts cease to exist, write your local authorities. Enough is enough!

Snakes are detrimental in controlling the disease-spreading rodent population. Snakes deserve the right to share this earth with us, just like every other creature. Remember, it is YOU who invaded THEIR territory. Killing them for pleasure is abhorrible!

See what kind of barbarism takes place??? Gassing them??? Throwing them around like rag-dolls? Chopping their heads off? Lovely. Write and complain to the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup committee, this is ridiculous as it is cruel.
ESPN - Rattlesnake Round-Up

Old 03-06-2008, 03:06 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Why on earth do you people allow these murderous acts to take place??? Its bad enough that you hold them, but theyre gaining in popularity and people are encouraging others to attend. You should take pride in your native species and learn about them and respect them rather than eradicate them and teach others that its ok to round up snakes and abuse them and hack them up. If youd like to see these barbaric/senseless/murderous acts cease to exist, write your local authorities. Enough is enough!

Snakes are detrimental in controlling the disease-spreading rodent population. Snakes deserve the right to share this earth with us, just like every other creature. Remember, it is YOU who invaded THEIR territory. Killing them for pleasure is abhorrible.

See what kind of barbarism takes place??? Gassing them??? Throwing them around like rag-dolls? Chopping their heads off? Lovely. Write and complain to the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup committee, this is ridiculous as it is cruel.

Snakes are detrimental in controlling the disease-spreading rodent population.

That makes NO sense at all. They are not DETRIMENTAL in controlling that population...they are EFFECTIVE in controlling it. While I agree that MOST snakes should be left alone if they are not poisonous, rattlesnakes are a different story. You've obviously never lost livestock to them, nor seen the damage that a bite can do to domestic animals/humans.....few city people do.

The rattlesnakes are also eaten at the Roundup, and I understand that the meat is quite tasty....

Do you belong to PETA??? Go ahead and complain to TPTB in Sweetwater.....I'm sure they'll welcome you with open arms.....

Old 03-06-2008, 03:12 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
After reading stories like this, it's no wonder the usual Texas stereotypes and insults are still alive and well.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:16 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

That makes NO sense at all. They are not DETRIMENTAL in controlling that population...they are EFFECTIVE in controlling it. While I agree that MOST snakes should be left alone if they are not poisonous, rattlesnakes are a different story. You've obviously never lost livestock to them, nor seen the damage that a bite can do to domestic animals/humans.....few city people do.

The rattlesnakes are also eaten at the Roundup, and I understand that the meat is quite tasty....

Do you belong to PETA??? Go ahead and complain to TPTB in Sweetwater.....I'm sure they'll welcome you with open arms.....
Cathy, all I can say is....DITTO!!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:24 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
Another trolling antagonist who thinks J.R. Ewing owns a oil company in Dallas, we all drive pickups, and my dog's name is Ol Yeller.

For the purpose of being fair, our Great State also hosts an annual rocky mountain oysters festival in Throckmorton. Steve-O, are you against that also?

Old 03-06-2008, 03:34 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,478 times
Default Cruel and senseless is cruel and senseless

Quote:

Let's face it. The rattlesnake roundup is a cruel as well as senseless spectacle and at best is a remnant of a bygone era. Why a bunch of countryfolk in west Texas feel the need to destroy so many innocent creatures for the sake of a sandwich is beyond me. If you want to eat something try going to a grocery store. And if you want to avoid being bitten try staying out of the snake's habitat. Or is that too much to ask?

Old 03-06-2008, 03:35 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Rattle Snake.. It taste like chicken. As a boyscout we had to cook rattle snake meat in an orange wrapped in foil and buried in the earth to cook it. It was good.

This person does not realize that this event is to control the snake population, if left to tend to its self it would be outta control, and there would be too many snakes and not enough food for them.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Yes, I used the wrong word, meant to say "instrumental". Thanks for pointing that out.

Please, Id like for you to find me ONE poisonous snake on earth. Learn a little about them before you jump to conclusions.

And I understand that many are eaten, thats fine by me. I dont advocate killing them for their skin, but if youre gonna kill them just to deplete their populations or sell their heads/rattles as souvenirs, thats where I have a problem.

And no, I dont belong to PETA. I actually dislike PETA. Theyre no different than most people who attend the roundups. Theyre only for the ethical treatment of the cute and cuddly animals, while they ignore the reptiles/invertebrates/etc. Theyre two-faced when it comes to that type of stuff.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:58 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
If you want to eat something try going to a grocery store. And if you want to avoid being bitten try staying out of the snake's habitat. Or is that too much to ask?
And the food IN the store comes from WHERE? Suppose we should start having "rattlesnake farms" and "slaughter houses" so there can be more rattlesnake meat in the stores. This type of argument never ceases to amaze me. HELLO FOLKS!!! The food in the store was ONCE LIVING TOO!!! I'm NOT a vegetarian at all but to think that one is being "more humane" by purchasing their meat in a store and not from hunting it THEMSELVES is beyond me.

Muhaney is exlpaining WHY this event takes place. If it were NOT for this then the entire area could EASILY be over run w/ rattlesnakes and the entire region be left a waste land uninhabitable to any human or other animal.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
Another trolling antagonist who thinks J.R. Ewing owns a oil company in Dallas, we all drive pickups, and my dog's name is Ol Yeller.

For the purpose of being fair, our Great State also hosts an annual rocky mountain oysters festival in Throckmorton. Steve-O, are you against that also?
Im far from a troll (look at my post count and rep points), senor. If you cant contribute to this thread w/o name-calling or sacrasm, then I suggest you hop in your pickup, take Ol Yeller and find your way out of it. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: