U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 PM

172 posts, read 114,211 times

Advertisements

I was talking with a friend and it got me thinking about the financial infrastructure of the big cities of Texas.According to 2014 figures Houston MSA's GDP was 525 million and the Dallas MSA's GDP was 504 million while San Antonio MSA's GDP was 104 million that same year.So my question is why didn't San Antonio's entrepreneurs decide to go into finance or technology like Houston and Dallas?Was this a conscious decision?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 07:24 AM

730 posts, read 626,506 times
Finance arose in Dallas when the rail was extend there and cattle drives stopped at the Ft Worth Stockyards instead of in Kansas. Banking was needed for the cattle industry transactions.

Houston arose on the local oil finds and the subsequent the petrochemical industry and shipping capabilities.

There was no 'natural' resource in San Antonio to spur any growth. The military bases were the back bone of the economy for a long time.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:51 PM

2,045 posts, read 3,425,815 times
San Antonio is historic, a crossroads of cultures, and a market city. As did Santa Fe, New Mexico, both cities made deliberate, concerted efforts after WWII to accentuate their city-centers as tourist destinations, and boom...

Old 04-13-2017, 08:36 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,024,120 times
Quote:
So my question is why didn't San Antonio's entrepreneurs decide to go into finance or technology like Houston and Dallas?Was this a conscious decision?
Check out the population history and you can see the different decisions the cities were making - 1880 - SA had double the population of Dallas. By 1900, Dallas had taken the lead. SA caught up by 1920. By 1940, they had similar populations, but the Dallas metro population was exploding.

So yeah, the answer is that there are different leaders in each city, some more competent than others - with different ideas for the city. I haven't studied the SA area that much (even though I grew up close to there) but as an example of divergent city paths I like this one:

In about 1993, Arlington TX had a city election to choose to spend a percent of sales tax to build a great new baseball park for the TX Rangers. About the same year, Plano TX built a corporate park and lured in JC Penney. Plano had half the population of Arlington and was just a minor suburb, about like Abilene at best. Fast forward 20 years later, and Arlington is tearing down that ballpark, is sort-of the sports capital of DFW, though they have to fight to get their name and association on team apparel and beyond that is best known as a 'blue collar' suburb on the southern end of DFW, and Plano is a rising national star, and has been dominating Ft Worth in terms of jobs and economic gain.

Choices made - both with positives and negatives -but they can lead to wildly divergent outcomes.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:00 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,602,241 times
Geography has to do a lot with Dallas success on a national level. It's in a great central location from a business standpoint.

From a continental NAFTA standpoint however San Antonio needs to step up to the plate. In the broader scope of the CAN/USA/MEX economy, most of Texas (including San Antonio) are in a great location. Houston, Dallas, Austin, Monterrey, and many border areas have all grown a lot economically. I guess San Antonio needs to look all around and use all it's attributes and resources to the fullest so it can serve all these areas that are doing well.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:22 PM

163 posts, read 171,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
From a continental NAFTA standpoint however San Antonio needs to step up to the plate. In the broader scope of the CAN/USA/MEX economy, most of Texas (including San Antonio) are in a great location. Houston, Dallas, Austin, Monterrey, and many border areas have all grown a lot economically. I guess San Antonio needs to look all around and use all it's attributes and resources to the fullest so it can serve all these areas that are doing well.
I don't know where you got your assessment of San Antonio and NAFTA from. Every statistic I can find shows San Antonio greatly benefiting and contributing to NAFTA. How did our city leaders not "step up to the plate"? Our politicians lobbied HARD to get us involved and we are. The signing ceremony was held here in 1992, FFS.

As for the latter part of your statement, again, I have no idea where the hell you came up with all that. We were one of the top fastest growing cities in U.S. Still are at #9. We are home to five fortune 500 companies. USAA just made one of the largest jumps up on that list. HEB just became the largest employer in the state. AT&T is still firmly here with ops for 22 states. The execs moved due to the airport. Nothing we can do about that, geographically, it just isn't gonna happen. Toyota's facility here is going strong as ever. Our military backbone has only become stronger, especially in regards to healthcare. BAMC is where everyone in the military goes now. It used to be Walter Reed. The expansion built for BAMC is mind boggling. BRAC took a lot from other cities and gave it to us. The entire USAF still trains strictly out of Lackland AFB. UTSA has one of the top IT Security programs in the entire nation, of which I am a graduate. The growth of that University is stunning. Chances are the NSA is monitoring your communications from what used to be the Sony plant here. We've attracted large presences from Nationwide, United Health Care, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan Chase, and we beat out ABQ for Hulu just a few days ago. Effing Hulu...yeah, San Antonio isn't capable of diversifying and they really need "to look all around and use all it's attributes and resources to the fullest so it can serve all these areas that are doing well." ...

And, of course, tourism. We still have that and the massive Riverwalk expansion over the last 5 years has been simply amazing.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:02 AM

2,116 posts, read 1,707,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I don't know where you got your assessment of San Antonio and NAFTA from. Every statistic I can find shows San Antonio greatly benefiting and contributing to NAFTA. How did our city leaders not "step up to the plate"? Our politicians lobbied HARD to get us involved and we are. The signing ceremony was held here in 1992, FFS.

As for the latter part of your statement, again, I have no idea where the hell you came up with all that. We were one of the top fastest growing cities in U.S. Still are at #9. We are home to five fortune 500 companies. USAA just made one of the largest jumps up on that list. HEB just became the largest employer in the state. AT&T is still firmly here with ops for 22 states. The execs moved due to the airport. Nothing we can do about that, geographically, it just isn't gonna happen. Toyota's facility here is going strong as ever. Our military backbone has only become stronger, especially in regards to healthcare. BAMC is where everyone in the military goes now. It used to be Walter Reed. The expansion built for BAMC is mind boggling. BRAC took a lot from other cities and gave it to us. The entire USAF still trains strictly out of Lackland AFB. UTSA has one of the top IT Security programs in the entire nation, of which I am a graduate. The growth of that University is stunning. Chances are the NSA is monitoring your communications from what used to be the Sony plant here. We've attracted large presences from Nationwide, United Health Care, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan Chase, and we beat out ABQ for Hulu just a few days ago. Effing Hulu...yeah, San Antonio isn't capable of diversifying and they really need "to look all around and use all it's attributes and resources to the fullest so it can serve all these areas that are doing well." ...

And, of course, tourism. We still have that and the massive Riverwalk expansion over the last 5 years has been simply amazing.
^^ Yeah, what Davis said. :-)

I can't believe how much SA has changed since I was a kid. This place is hopping.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:38 PM

574 posts, read 773,860 times
Quote:

SA has been the ball headed stepchild from some DFW, Houston and Austin posters for a while. What interesting is don’t see this in reverse, the snub of the other cities from San Antonioians. They may gripe about the traffic when visiting those cities but that’s about it, a least from what I hear and read. What I do find laughable is when Austinites compare Austin with DFW and Houston and never mention SA. It’s ludicrous to compare metros of six million people to SA or Austin. I’m a transplant and bullish on SA but don’t find it necessary to put down the other Texas metros.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:52 PM

1,040 posts, read 874,092 times
Maybe is because San Antonio is the only city of texas with truly historical areas from colonial era? When San Antonio existed as an important enclave, Austin, Dallas and Houston were no more than areas with very few inhabitants.

Even now when you visit those cities you can feel an artificial enviroment while San Antonio remains authentically as the first texan city.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:58 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,602,241 times
Quote:

I'm just expressing my opinion to the OP, that's it. I agree that SA has benefited greatly from NAFTA, but there is always room for improvement. It certainly hasn't benefited as much as the Houston or Dallas metros if you compare their GDP's. Even if you're an NYC (or whichever city has the world's highest GDP) you can always keep improving. Ask me where my hometown of Dallas or DFW can improve and I can write a book about it. If you can't envision room for improvement, you've already reached your full potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas