Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:00 AM

221 posts, read 600,189 times

Advertisements

Are you looking for an area that is predominantly Hispanic? I am thinking you probably are since you mentioned McAllen and Brownsville. If not, the areas surrounding the Dallas/Ft. Worth area would be ideal for you. We are moving to Houston soon, but we currently live in a rural area 45 minutes east of Dallas. Very pretty, wooded, great schools and a wholesome environment to raise kids in. No gangs, etc. Try our area, Canton, Texas. There is a huge world famous flea market here once a month and people from all over the country come in to sell and buy. It's just a nice little country city with a lot to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:38 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
My husband's from Forney. It's a great little town that is growing fast. I wouldn't mind living there as it would be more convenient since his kids and most of that side of the family live there but he doesn't care for small town living anymore. At any rate, you really have to go into Dallas to do anything but it's not far.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 AM

45 posts, read 149,900 times
In a previous post, I wrote about my hometown of Alice, TX. Its right in the middle of south texas. One hour from Corpus, two hours to the valley and laredo, and two hours from San Antonio. I grew up there and continue to live here until the fall, when I move to Victoria.

IMO, its a perfect place to raise kids. There are six elementary schools and two private schools in Alice. One of the traditions we have in Alice is something called the Little Olympics. All the elemtary schools and private schools compete in various races, football throws, and sack races. Its a big deal in town. It takes the place at the football stadium, and both sides of the stadium is packed with people. There are two middle schools, one junior high and one high school.

The community really supports the youth. When I was in high school, the band qualified to the state marching contest. Mind you, the band is 300 strong and there weren't enough funds to use charter buses. Some prominent members of the community donated the money from there travel fund to supply buses to the band. Also, the football team is really big here. Friday's are special in Alice. The atmosphere is second to none and win or lose, its always a good time. Close to graduation, we have something called Awards Night. Its when the scholarships are rewarded to deserving seniors. Last year, the community of Alice donated over $700,000 in local scholarships. Recently, Alice's Decathlon team finished third in the state. Our Business Leaders of America club won many national awards at the national convention. Our band is one of the best in the nation.

Although the population is primarily hispanic, its a place where people of all races can live withour fear of prejudice. My two best friends were white and hispanic. I grew up living next door to a Jewish family.

Of course, there are some neighborhoods that you need to stay away from, but for the most part, Alice is pretty safe.

Gosh, I should work for the Chamber of Commerce.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:21 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
I'll add to the Abilene chorus. I've been here for just over a year and friends who come to visit say, "Wow, what a great place to raise a family!" It really is. Big enough but not too big, laid-back, very affordable, and the schools are highly rated, from what I hear. There's a small zoo, lots of parks, museums and arts, good shopping and restaurants, and many amenities you don't expect to find in a city this size.

Weatherwise, we actually have seasons! (Much of Texas has two seasons -- hot and hotter. That gets depressing, believe it or not.) The summer is hot, but we have a lovely spring and fall and, generally, mild winter. We get what I call "pretty snow," which means it looks pretty and then goes away within a day, LOL. We do get dramatic thunderstorms in the spring but I think they're cool.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 PM

20 posts, read 106,904 times
I am a single mom as well, i have a little girl who is 7 and we are moving out to Smithville TX, it is beautiful!!!! The schools seem to have a bad rating, although i have talked to many people who live out that way and find that they are highly recommended. Did you ever see the movie "hope floats" that is Smithville. Anyway it is affordable, I am buying a house out there that is 1200 sqft on 1/4 acre corner lot for 72,000. Its about an hour outside of austin, and the weather here is wonderful, it rarely snows, and is only COLD a few days out of the year. I am really looking forward to the move. Plus it would be nice to have a few more singles out that way...Single parents only make up 9% of the population...not that that is a bad thing Anyway good luck with your search!!! Oh and if you want the desert west and south texas is the way to go, but cental texas Austin, Smithville area have trees and hills and green grass.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,819 times
Katy,texas katy has the best schools in texas. Love love it

Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 AM

238 posts, read 766,865 times
You can get away from snow if you avoid the Panhandle. But for pity's sake, stay out of freakin' deep South Texas. You'd be better off anywhere in the D/FW area, as we are continuing to build right here. We've got plenty of places for families to get settled in.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 AM

21 posts, read 40,743 times
El Paso is a great place. It snows about once a year if we're lucky, but it usually melts after a few hours though. And it's not crowded congested or polluted as much as DFW or Houston. There will be a lot of new jobs with the expansion of Ft. Bliss. Also there is NO humidity!!!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:29 AM

9 posts, read 59,442 times
Default family-friendly in TX

Round Rock TX just got high marks in a national magazine (sorry, can't remember the name) as being one of the best places in the nation to raise kids. It just north of Austin, a :30 drive to downtown Austin and UT. Round Rock has a lot going for itself: good schools, safe environment, quiet, shopping, Dell Baseball Diamond, CUTE downtown area, and parks. However, the property taxes might be a little high if it's in Williamson County. I used to live there until I got married , my brother and sister-in-law still do and really enjoy it.

If you find it's unaffordable, I also hear good things about Del Valle just South East of Austin.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 PM

41 posts, read 73,301 times
I would recommend Plano or Frisco. They are great areas (Frisco is growing), they have great schools and good stuff to do. There is also a wonderful church in Plano. There is snow up in the DFW area, but nothing to write home about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas