Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 02:17 PM

16 posts, read 24,146 times

Advertisements

I am sure there has been a thread specifically on this subject but for me, I'd like to know, where to start. Could be self explanatory, but my family and I are planning a move to TX soon and I wanted to know any suggestions where to move to.

So far, we are thinking around Dallas or Fort Worth but I am job prospects in San Antonio, a couple in Eastern part of Texas like Longview, and maybe in the middle. These are Dept of Corrections jobs. Elsewhere we are thinking either Abeliene, Bluffdale, Stephenville, Waco. My oldest daughter will be moving to Ft Hood so we want to be someplace close. I do not want to move near an oil field or industrial area. My wife has family in Bluffdale area and Oklahoma.

Ive been studying to get into the Tech/Telecommunications field but its slow process cause I have a 11 month old , I do janitor work for a school district from 2 to 11pm, really sucks, I have other job experience having to do with technical work but need to at least be certified. I would've been on my way to Del Rio area for Border Patrol but that job prospect fell through, thanks to the polygraph. And I'm not too crazy bout moving anywhere near the Mexican border, not because of the people though.

Does anyone know or can point me in the direction for information on starting out? I know I need to establish a job someplace, even save money which I am doing now. Only thing we are waiting for is my daughter to graduate from High School in a year. This is so daunting a task.

We want to try and stay away from Tornado hot spots but that might be impossible I know that. We were even thinking of Wichita Falls area. Not sure what is worse, tornado or earthquakes and I live in earthquake country.

I know there is prejudice everywhere and racism, especially where I live, where Mexicans are very prejudice and even racist against white people. So I don't want to move to white OR Hispanic dominated areas, specially where there is a likelihood for white supremacist spots since I am mixed, we are a mix of white and couple brown lol. Actually my boys are white and my daughters are brown toned.

I guess I am just looking for family oriented or family friendly areas. I am not going to escape crime so that's a given. So any suggestions where to start. Who to talk to maybe about areas to live like a realtor. Steps to take. Precautions. Areas to stay away from.

thank you everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 03:59 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_earp_fan View Post

I know there is prejudice everywhere and racism, especially where I live, where Mexicans are very prejudice and even racist against white people. So I don't want to move to white OR Hispanic dominated areas, specially where there is a likelihood for white supremacist spots since I am mixed, we are a mix of white and couple brown lol. Actually my boys are white and my daughters are brown toned.

thank you everyone
I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. You want to move somewhere with a plurality of ethnicities, with no dominant group? So a city center like Houston or Dallas?

Also, Texas has its race issues like every other state, but racism FROM Hispanics toward whites is something I've never seen growing up on the border. Racism toward Hispanics in the state has a long, convoluted history, though.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:26 AM

16 posts, read 24,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. You want to move somewhere with a plurality of ethnicities, with no dominant group? So a city center like Houston or Dallas?

Also, Texas has its race issues like every other state, but racism FROM Hispanics toward whites is something I've never seen growing up on the border. Racism toward Hispanics in the state has a long, convoluted history, though.

In SoCal it really isnt bad when speaking of racism, we dont have Mexican pride demonstrations like the KKK, unless you went northward into LA and SanFran, MECHa is a prime example.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:21 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
I think racism is a moot point. I see more and more folks that have Mexican and Central American backgrounds and more succinctly are recent immigrants (last 10 years or so). Doesn't change me or my thinking. I work in healthcare and I can promise we are the same on the inside and we all bleed red. Who cares what our "shell" looks like.

I live in the SE corner of Texas, NE of Houston about 90 miles. I think you should forget the racism issue and focus on other factors that you desire ie: jobs, climate, terrain, schools, small town/large city/ midsize . Let the racist roast and ignore them. It(racism) will never go away and essentially comes straight from the pits of Hell. The latest fitting slogan is "Haters gonna hate".

The moral of the story is: Be a proud Texan, make our state a better place, teach your children well (lyrics from a song of my generation)these things!

Tornados and racism seems to be you major concerns which both should be way down on the list. There is a major Federal Prison locally but there's a few things that you'll hear ... SE Texas sucks, the weather sucks, there's mosquitoes, it's industrial and it stinks ... blah blah blah ... of these the most likely is the weather sucks ... it's sub-tropical but doesn't get as cold as anywhere north of here nor as hot. When North Texas (DFW/WF) is roasting at 105 it'll be 95 here and when it's 20 degrees in the winter there it'll be 32 here. Lots of money to be made here with all the industry which is being heavily invested in by major corporations yet prices are reasonable.

God Bless and an early welcome,

Bob

Last edited by BobTex; 06-01-2017 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas