Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:21 PM

390 posts, read 389,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Dallas is not low rent anymore (median 1 bedroom rent is about $1200/mo + bills) and you have to work very hard to get your apartment and job on public transit routes. If you work downtown, it's easy (except for the fact there aren't any grocery stores downtown....). If you work at any number of major job centers that aren't connected to any public transit (i.e., Legacy HQ corridor in Plano), it's an impossible request. You can focus your job search along DART lines but if you're not in a really broad field, it might take a long time to get the stars to align here.
There will be a grocery store coming on field and cedar springs next year that's close enough to downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:33 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times
I rode the bus in San Antonio for a couple of decades. It's okay if you choose the right location. It's kind of impossible for San Antonio to have a good bus system due to the layout of the city. When I had to get to a job that was 20 minutes away by car, I had to take three buses, and the trip took two hours.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:56 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
There will be a grocery store coming on field and cedar springs next year that's close enough to downtown
Or just use Instacart

Old 06-22-2017, 07:55 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
I haven't lived in them, but mid-size cities with at least a minimum level of public bus service are also a consideration as long as they also offer Uber. Like maybe Lubbock, Tyler, or Bryan-College Station.

The bus service may not be great but cobbling together transit plus Uber can be workable. In addition, the Uber rides will not add up nearly as quickly because you are not trying to cover such large distances across sprawling metro areas.

DISCLAIMER: I am an Uber driver in a mid-size metro in another state and see people do this all the time as they handle jobs by combining public transportation and Uber - one of my customers takes the bus to within a mile of his employer and then just tacks on an inexpensive Uber ride from the closest bus stop. Another customer normally rides the bus but on very cold mornings will spring for an Uber ride. It is not cheap cheap but you need to compare it to the actual cost of vehicle operation - not just the cost of gasoline but the 50+ cents per mile that is the real cost of owning and operating and insuring a vehicle. If you do that, all of a sudden it is at least an option.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:16 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
I'd also add that it is those of us who rely on our vehicles nearly 100% of the time that say it is inconceivable to do without those vehicles, but there are plenty of people who find a way to do it.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:43 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Interesting thread as Houston is one of my 3 cities to move to by 2018(after Vegas and Phoenix). I will also need to rely on transit for the time being till I get my license and have cash saved up.

I've been to Dallas and as far as the total package of mass transit nothing in the state comes close: several light rail lines, 2 commuter rails and a plethora of buses, as well as a streetcar. But it ain't low rent. So your choices are Houston and San Antonio. Houston is the more extensive out of the 2 as it also has a light rail and you can find some apts that are cheaper than Dallas; just make sure it's in an okay area. Just try to live near a bus route that runs 7 days a week, or a light rail line, though it'll be more expensive to rent I reckon.
http://www.ridemetro.org/MetroPDFs/S...System-Map.pdf

Last edited by Marv95; 06-27-2017 at 07:55 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 07:48 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I hope the OP saw my earlier posting that San Antonio has decent public transportation. If you're willing to live within and work in the downtown area.
We parked our car and did not get back in it until we started home the first time we visited San Antonio. We were on Dwyer Avenue. Second time we were on the Riverwalk and took the water taxi. Bus system was strange that it did not let you off at the same place you boarded. I am sure you would get used to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas