Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 5,081 times

Advertisements

I am just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 03:27 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
boring for me but I love not having to worry about going back to college in August.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:56 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,076 times
You realize how much of an idiot most college people are. You think you've hit "adult" status because you're not in high school anymore, but then you realize that 30-40 year olds lump you together with those high school kids. Your goals in life will probably shift dramatically, too.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:41 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Very boring. Less mental/social stimulation after college from my experience. Once you enter the "corporate rat race" its over. In college, you had some a degree to strive for and your accomplishments were based on the effort you put in to obtaining that. When you enter the workforce it has less to do with the work/effort/value you put in and more to do with cronyism and who you know to succeed.

And most people in the workplace begin to backstab each other since there are so few openings or promotions. You begin to realize no matter the amount of effort you put in and how much value you bring to the table, none of that matters since merit doesn't pay off today where in college it did.

In college, it was all about the effort. In the corporate world, its all about sucking up and becoming friends with people in power.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:28 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
DorianRo...

Depends on where you work. Networking and building relationships is always smart but not all jobs are boring and all about kissing ass. There are other options out there. My husband hated his job and the empty promises of his boss so he put a serious effort into building his cred within the industry locally and did a lot of networking online and at local trade events. It paid off when one of the people he met through networking introduced him to his first investor. He's already sold one company he started and he now co-owns two other companies.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:59 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
DorianRo...

Depends on where you work. Networking and building relationships is always smart but not all jobs are boring and all about kissing ass. There are other options out there. My husband hated his job and the empty promises of his boss so he put a serious effort into building his cred within the industry locally and did a lot of networking online and at local trade events. It paid off when one of the people he met through networking introduced him to his first investor. He's already sold one company he started and he now co-owns two other companies.

No not all Jobs but MOST jobs are and thats the majority. Not all of us have access to the elite pleasures and connections of life. Meritocracy is only valid if you work for scrupulous, ethical employers and they are few and far between

Old 07-08-2017, 06:48 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
My dh didn't come from connections, money or an elite family nor did I. He worked his way up and made his own connections. His boss promised him a stake in the company and never delivered. When my husband left to start his own company his former boss claimed he stole business secrets and IP which he didn't and threatened to sue him. We used our own savings to hire a lawyer to write a response letter to his former boss. It was hard and financially stressful but it was worth it.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:04 PM

66 posts, read 47,149 times
So far it's been relaxing for the most part. I'll be leaving to teach English in Thailand for a year on July 27th. Ever since I graduated in May, I've just been doing lots of hiking and taking too many photos of the sunset. Biggest highlight so far has been my road trip to Orlando this past week to see my friend from Ukraine who's working there for the summer.

I definitely won't miss the academic side of college (writing 5-30 page papers, having awkward gaps between classes, and taking gen eds that don't pertain to your major). I'll definitely miss the social aspect though (clubs, intramurals, late night talks with suite mates about life and stresses of college).

Old 07-09-2017, 06:48 PM

537 posts, read 597,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Very boring. Less mental/social stimulation after college from my experience. Once you enter the "corporate rat race" its over. In college, you had some a degree to strive for and your accomplishments were based on the effort you put in to obtaining that. When you enter the workforce it has less to do with the work/effort/value you put in and more to do with cronyism and who you know to succeed.

And most people in the workplace begin to backstab each other since there are so few openings or promotions. You begin to realize no matter the amount of effort you put in and how much value you bring to the table, none of that matters since merit doesn't pay off today where in college it did.

In college, it was all about the effort. In the corporate world, its all about sucking up and becoming friends with people in power.
Totally depends what you do. I went into software development and then became a contractor that works remotely, and 100% of my effort translates into increased income for myself. I can make $200k/yr if I want to bust my ass off, or $50k/yr if I want to take it easy and work 10-15 hours a week. I don't deal with office politics - I'm just the guy companies go to when they need **** done.

I personally find my work far more mentally stimulating than college ever was. I'm always learning new things - I have to in order to stay competitive.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:28 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I love it

I had to work my way through college,
Now I just have to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas