Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,907 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am having a VERY HARD time finding a full-time job in my chosen field (education grades K to grade 5). I am also a licensed security officer and have MANY years of experience in administrative/call center/customer service/general clerical & office work. As I live in a rural area of the DFW Metro area (Waxahachie/Ennis, etc.), there are NO RELIABLE public transit options, and being a HETEROSEXUAL male who is also a MEMBER OF A MINORITY GROUP--which one I will let the readers guess, and if you guess right I will acknowledge that correct answer--my Cross is doubly hard to bear. I am considering, therefore, a fresh start in either Waco, Temple or Killeen-Fort Hood.
My question, in conclusion, is simply: which city offers THE BEST PROSPECT FOR A FRESH START??? I need suggestions, but I will most definitely accept any and all prayers, encouragement and just plain bare facts. Please, please, PLEASE read this post...and respond. God Bless, and Thanks!!!
Sign me:

Guy in DESPARATE (job & housing) situation--or for now, just Guy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 10:00 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
If you need better public transit options, moving to a smaller town isn't going to work. IF the smaller town even has public transit, it's not going to be better than a big city!

Do you have your Texas teacher certification?

Old 07-09-2017, 03:19 PM

23 posts, read 34,336 times
Waco is the best city of the three. It has plenty of opportunities in education.

Temple is a fine city, but it does not have real public transit options. If you want to work in health care, it has a solid option for you at Baylor Scott and White.

Killeen is usually on the news for a home robbery or murder.

There are probably more options than this call center at the link below, but they are adding a lot of jobs. They also have a dedicated bus line. Also, Allergan and SpaceX are hiring a few hundred workers as well.

Commuter bus service between Waco, McGregor on the horizon | City Of Waco | wacotrib.com

Transit Map, Waco Transit System - Waco, Texas

Old 07-19-2017, 09:21 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needafreshstart View Post
Hi. I am having a VERY HARD time finding a full-time job in my chosen field (education grades K to grade 5). I am also a licensed security officer and have MANY years of experience in administrative/call center/customer service/general clerical & office work. As I live in a rural area of the DFW Metro area (Waxahachie/Ennis, etc.), there are NO RELIABLE public transit options, and being a HETEROSEXUAL male who is also a MEMBER OF A MINORITY GROUP--which one I will let the readers guess, and if you guess right I will acknowledge that correct answer--my Cross is doubly hard to bear. I am considering, therefore, a fresh start in either Waco, Temple or Killeen-Fort Hood.
My question, in conclusion, is simply: which city offers THE BEST PROSPECT FOR A FRESH START??? I need suggestions, but I will most definitely accept any and all prayers, encouragement and just plain bare facts. Please, please, PLEASE read this post...and respond. God Bless, and Thanks!!!
Sign me:

I would try Waco.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:01 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Have you tried charter schools in the DFW area?

Old 07-20-2017, 07:49 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I would try Waco.

Of HIS listed choices, of course waco.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Of HIS listed choices, of course waco.
Thanks Mark Senior.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:57 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Quote:
Sign me:

For fresh start, look beyond Texas. You can try for English teaching jobs in non English speaking countries.. There is a great demand and life style is pretty good, travel and adventure are the real perks.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:35 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,278,941 times
Quote:
Sign me:

This perhaps is a silly question and also I'm not that knowledgeable on how the education sector is looking within the DFW area, but have you considered moving north of Dallas? Collin County for example? Public Transportation would be available somewhat all the way up to Plano. But it would be limited of course.
But Texas as a whole is just not that great on public trans.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,806 times
Thanks to EVERYONE who has thus far replied to my recent post (I posted this question in the Waco, TX portion of this website). And for you who have been kind enough to ask:
--I DO have my TX teaching certification;
--I HAVE applied several times over the past four years for teaching positions at charter schools in the DFW area;
--I have even applied to teach in other cities in the USA, as well as South Korea--I was TURNED DOWN for, of all things, asking "too many questions", especially in the latter case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: