Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:51 AM

295 posts, read 352,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Y'all are killing me! DFW is the BEST place to be in Texas. I hate Houston! But, to each their own.......how do housing prices compare? DFW is on fire. If anyone wants in, they should get in quickly! Or perhaps wait a bit for new developments, depending on what one is seeking.
Yeah? Go ahead tell us exactly why DFW is the best of Texas. We are listening/reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Customer service in Austin sucks. The slacker culture pervades. I had to call TxTag 8 years ago while in California for a quick question. The two hour time difference didn't help! It seems that the rep just woke up out of bed because he kept yawning and sounded drowsy. He kept on taking his sweet time (perhaps twittling his thumbs?) checking on his computer when looking up my account and for answers to my questions.

Another incident happened about 6 weeks ago at Cane's in Cedar Park. It's bad enough that prices are slightly higher than in Houston (it's a $1 more for the Box combo), but they didn't call my name or look for me while bringing the basket to my table. They stayed silent and waited for me to pick it up at the counter.

Waco - the Vatican of the Baptists. Enough said! I would advise limiting road trips between other Texas cities and staying on the interstate as much as possible if you have/choose to visit other Texas towns or leave the state. Many rural towns depend on speeding tickets on big-city slickers for their revenue, but the speed limit on the interstates have been raised to 70 MPH, diverting resources to U.S./state highway traffic.
Customer service is a poor benchmark to generalize a city. What one must do is visit all 4 cities and then decide, best of TX.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I was raised Baptist, so I think I'm allowed that reaction.
Haha Jen, that's great and beautiful.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
This isn't 1980 anymore. The city of Dallas & Dallas County are in no way shape or form the hotbed of GOP conservatism or the center of the Evangelical Bible Belt. They definitely are moderately liberal and all it takes is a quick look at the past election results... Hillary won over 61% of Dallas County compared to 52% or something down in Harris County (Houston). Even so, the Bible Belt extends throughout much of Texas, including parts of metro Houston. Both metros have conservative suburbs. Same with suburban Austin. Dallas is also a more LGBT friendly city than Houston. Most in Dallas proper are Catholic, not Evangelical Christian.

OP, Dallas is actually a great place for a Californian. In some ways, it has that wannabe LA vibe -- clubs with bottle service, materialism & flashiness, image conscious population, tons of high end and luxury shopping & restaurants, etc. Not all of Dallas is like that, but it stands out more in comparison to Austin and Houston. Houston and Dallas also receive more transplants from Cali than Austin. I'd at least visit Dallas and give it a second chance, and I mean the actual city. Not some obscure suburb 40 miles away. Check out Uptown, Victory Park (American Airlines Center especially!), Deep Ellum (more eclectic), etc.
Dallas is still considered the Second City of TX by most people. Although its inappropriate to say without visiting and living in one city.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
:d

Old 07-26-2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
. I've noticed that. There's literally a conformity to act or dress "laid back." You're judged for not falling in line on what defines a true "Austinite." You also have to hate Dallas... That's a prerequisite for every newcomer.
Austin reminds me of San Francisco from this above

Old 07-26-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Actually, the speed limit on interstates is 75.However, a couple interstates in W.Texas are 80.
Good to know. What is the max speed limit on most TX freeways?

Old 07-26-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Don't come to Midland (i came there from SF).. unless you absolutely hate humidity then by all means come here (though El Paso might be a better fit.)
Yeah.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 AM

420 posts, read 400,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
Being Muslim is important but all 4 big cities (Austin/Houston/San Antonio/Dallas-Fort Worth) have numerous mosques so there should be no problem. Austin does not have professional teams BUT it does have college teams, so I don't know if that's a valid statement.

Dallas being financial capital of Texas is not something one would expect - for whatever reason it seemed like Houston is the financial capital.

Houston definitely reminds me of LA. I have nothing against Dallas, but I don't feel like it's somewhere I would want to live. Although I've only been to Dallas just once. The vibe of Houston cannot be matched to Dallas. Don't get me wrong on Dallas being the financial capital.

A few questions below:

1. How much of a finding a job in the Accounting in Houston / Austin compare to Dallas? Why isn't Houston the financial capital of TX?

2. What is the most underrated city of TX in terms of Housing/Jobs(Accounting)/Weather?

3. What is the best city of TX? (Some say Houston, some say Dallas, some say Austin, and some say San Antonio)
1. No idea what you're asking in the first half. Second half, because many corporate offices located there.

2. San Antonio

3. Austin. And the rest will never come close for me. Your mileage WILL vary.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:19 AM

420 posts, read 400,049 times
Quote:
. I've noticed that. There's literally a conformity to act or dress "laid back." You're judged for not falling in line on what defines a true "Austinite." You also have to hate Dallas... That's a prerequisite for every newcomer.
Bull****. Literally garbage.

We have to stay somewhere for the RRR. No sense in hating it.

That said, you have a very outdated (and incredibly biased and unfounded) view. Come live in Austin for a while. Your mind will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas