Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,027 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 23yr old with a 3yr old child.. I plan to move within the next 4-5months but I'm kinda torn between Dallas or Houston..

Dallas has so much for kids to do and seems very family oriented

Houston seems like it has more for adults to do..

I currently make 39k/yr and I have the option to transfer my position but I'm not sure to which city..

Rent range: $500 - $750 (2bdrm)
Child care/school suggestions?
Safe/decent Neighborhoods?
Transportation?
Walkable?
Nightlife?

Any input will help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 07:53 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,721 times
Something to note about both cities - they are huge. You don't say where you are moving from, but it can easily take an hour to drive from one end of the city to the other (either Houston or Dallas) You will want to live near your job, else you sacrifice family time with time in the car. (and if you are single, what do you do if your child needs you during the day?)

For Dallas, your rent range will likely not be high enough for even a 1-bedroom apartment in a very "iffy" part of town.

Where is the job in each city? That might help.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:13 AM

694 posts, read 835,762 times
I think you will find that the cost of living in either city is higher than you might have thought. If you are from the outer suburbs of Milwaukee. Its possible to live on 39k a year in either city, buts its not likely to be an increase in your standard of living.

Here is a list of costs for Houston

https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-l...y-life/houston

Here is a comparison of Houston vs Dallas

https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-l...ston-vs-dallas

The plus side, either place has a much bigger economy so there are opportunities to move up.

Dallas has a better transportation system. If you are not going to drive to work, pick Dallas.

I dont think there is any difference between the two cities in terms of activities for kids.

Neither city is particularly walkable, but I would give the slight edge to Dallas.

Jennifw is correct, in either city, you have to start with where you will be working, and plan where to live around that.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongal View Post
Hi,

I'm a 23yr old with a 3yr old child.. I plan to move within the next 4-5months but I'm kinda torn between Dallas or Houston..

I currently make 39k/yr and I have the option to transfer my position but I'm not sure to which city..

Transportation?
Walkable?
Nightlife?

Any input will help!!
your budget is way too low

Old 08-02-2017, 10:37 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,076 times
Quote:
Hi,

Transportation?
Walkable?
Nightlife?

Any input will help!!
Not that it is my business but is this after taxes? Because if not Dallas might not be as affordable and low in COL as you might think. Especially with a child. I'm not saying don't do it or that it is not manageable but it could get tight.
Also you rent budget is very low for what you ask (2bdrm). Simply put in the most desirable spots in the DFW it will be hard to find something for that amount.
Especially considering you caveats (Walkable/Nightlife/Safe/decent Neighborhoods.....).

Can't speak for Houston but I imagine it would be similar there.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:37 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Not that it is my business but is this after taxes? Because if not Dallas might not be as affordable and low in COL as you might think. Especially with a child. I'm not saying don't do it or that it is not manageable but it could get tight.
Also you rent budget is very low for what you ask (2bdrm). Simply put in the most desirable spots in the DFW it will be hard to find something for that amount.
Especially considering you caveats (Walkable/Nightlife/Safe/decent Neighborhoods.....).

Can't speak for Houston but I imagine it would be similar there.
Houston is probably a little cheaper than Dallas right now just because of the economic situation, but both cities will be hard to swing for that budget. If you can get up towards the $750 range, you may be able to grab something, but it will be in the rougher parts of both metros, or way in the boondocks, sorry to say.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:49 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Hi,

Transportation?
Walkable?
Nightlife?

Any input will help!!
Dallas offers just as much for adults as Houston does, but you'll have to live in the city. There are Dallas neighborhoods that are safe, walkable, and have access to vibrant nightlife and transportation. Uptown immediately springs to mind. However, your budget and annual salary doesn't allow for it. Not even close, unfortunately. I don't even think you can find that rental range in any other DART service areas such as Mockingbird Station, Park Lane, Las Colinas, etc.

You're probably better off in older, midwestern cities -- Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Columbus, Pittsburgh (northeast), etc. if you're able to transfer to any of them. Access to walkable amenities, public transit, and vibrant nightlife is still a luxury down here.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:07 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Both cities are great for families and adults, but neither one is easy on a $39k income. That's about 30% less than the median income for Dallas and I'm sure Houston's median is in the same ballpark.

In Dallas, you'll be hard-pressed to find a 1 bedroom apartment zoned to "average" schools in a safe neighborhood for $750. Forget anything in the $500 range unless you want to walk by your friendly neighborhood drug dealers every time you step outside. Childcare is expensive - the cheapest, unlicensed in-home care you can find is probably $100/week range. Reputable full-time daycare is going to cost double that on the low end. The majority of households have cars in Dallas because public transit isn't great. If you live in a low income area, it can mean several bus/ light rail transfers to get to where the jobs are located. Forget walkable and nightlife on $39k per year with a child in the mix.

Where do you live now?

Old 08-03-2017, 08:12 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Frankly, your income will be a stretch in Dallas. I lived on a similar income right out of college but I had roomates.

My brother just ended a lease on a small one bed condo in Irving that went for $750, but he knew the owner. You can forget any kind of walk-ability or nightlife at the price range unless you know someone who will rent you a garage apartment in lower Greenville or something (knew a guy who lucked into that.)

Houston is a little more affordable than Dallas, but not that much so.

Both cities can be great places for kids or adults depending where you live. Both are bad cities to be broke in.

I would not make the move unless you have family in the area to help with child care or moving means you have a lot of opportunity to make significantly more money in the near future and can rough it for a little bit.

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2017, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,027 times
Thanks so far everyone!!

I currently live in Milwaukee, WI.. I make 39k after taxes.. I can Up my rent range to $850 at max..the job position is a state job position, I have multiple locations to choose from within those cities.. Even if the neighborhood is a little rough, I can deal with that. I just prefer a more decent neighborhood/area for my child..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas